Blackout

Post all Curious George's Redeemer Insanity {CG} content here!
BIOMECH
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Blackout

Post by BIOMECH » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:56 pm

:arrow: Playing on KB's server with Hellfy and Hellsniper, and the mapvoting chose LastVoyage (that titanic map). The download was taking ages with lots of files, and one file was doing about 0.1% a second, literally, so I just lost interest.

:arrow: But here's the thing, I pressed F10 for cancel and the download went away, but the screen stayed black. Judging by sound effects, the menus are all still there, but the screen is stuck on "black mode". I re-started the game in a variety of ways, but it's like the monitor turns off on loading. I can catch glimpses of it when I minimize and maximize UT, but then it hides again!

:arrow: Worse, the UT is part of an anthology, so if I re-install it (I will lose nothing except the MH mod and a few maps), then I'll have to re-install the others too. Unreal 1 and 2 have updates on them either, but the 4th and final part of the anthology (UT2004) has several tons of stuff on it which would take weeks, if not months to hunt down again. Even if these problems didn't exist, the Anthology disc is at my other house, so the re-install would be delayed until the next weekend!

:arrow: I could try re-installing an Anthology under a different name with just UT, or moving the UT2004 files to a safe area before re-installation, but it's alot of bother and if I can avoid it I would like too.
If anyone has an idea on how to unblack my screen it would help, but right now it's looking like a lot of effort.
So if I don't show up on MH tomorrow, you'll know why

:arrow: Stupid black screen...

*POTS*

Re: Blackout

Post by *POTS* » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:16 pm

:arrow: Read here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1697

Try disabling DirectSound and cross your fingers. I had a similar problem and it worked fine for me.
Plain Old Telephone Service

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:54 pm

You hit f10 to cancel but hit f11 too and raised the brightness one more level which after the highest level sets it back to the lowest which is pitch blach.

Start up UT.
Hit F11 key about 5 times
Hit F12 key about 5 times

One of those keys effects the brightness. At 5 you'll be able to see something.
~Peace~

Hermskii

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:02 pm

LOL, It's an Aspergers thing.

I neither see nor think the amazingly obvious. :oops:

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:14 pm

Hermskii wrote:You hit f10 to cancel but hit f11 too and raised the brightness one more level which after the highest level sets it back to the lowest which is pitch blach.

Start up UT.
Hit F11 key about 5 times
Hit F12 key about 5 times

One of those keys effects the brightness. At 5 you'll be able to see something.
This is an extract from the default User.INI:

Code: Select all

F9=SShot
F10=Cancel
F11=Brightness
F12=EndFullscreen
F9 :arrow: take a screenshot
F10 :arrow: abort a download
F11 :arrow: adjust the brightness of your screen
F12 :arrow: switch to the windowed mode (I think!)

Herm saves the day!
I totally forgot about that, because I've replaced that damn "brightness" command with a text keybind a long long time ago. My FAQ thread needs an update. :wink:

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:18 pm

So does what Biomech said mean that it worked? I have never heard of this word "Aspergers"

Tractors is so dumb!
~Peace~

Hermskii

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:27 pm

Hermskii wrote:So does what Biomech said mean that it worked?
I guess so.
Hermskii wrote: I have never heard of this word "Aspergers"
Urban Dictionary wrote:Aspergers Syndrome is a disorder similiar to Autism. Persons with AS show marked deficiencies in social skills, have difficulties with transitions or changes and prefer sameness. They often have obsessive routines and may be preoccupied with a particular subject of interest. They have a great deal of difficulty reading nonverbal cues (body language) and very often the individual with AS has difficulty determining proper body space. Often overly sensitive to sounds, tastes, smells, and sights, the person with AS may prefer soft clothing, certain foods, and be bothered by sounds or lights no one else seems to hear or see.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:41 pm

It's been my experience that you apply Occam's Razor whenever something like this happens. I stopped at the first post and my gut reaction was to pull out the user.ini and UT.ini and let the game make a new set. If that fixed the problem then I would have compared the two until I found the culprit (which would have been brightness). That wasn't really using Occam though, I should have looked even simpler than that.

Now you know why I go to Herm often with a problem. The guy is a UT savant.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:47 am

I'm no genius. I had this same thing happen to me before and it took me forever to figure it out but I finally did. You'll find I have simply already experienced most of the things that any of us do wrong here. Hehehe. Sucks to be me sometimes..
~Peace~

Hermskii