30 Lives just ain't enough

Post all Curious George's Redeemer Insanity {CG} content here!
a nameless entity
NoMoreSpam: Silver

30 Lives just ain't enough

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:58 pm

Normally you'd think that having 30 lives to squander in Monster Hunt on MHM would be more than enough. But it ain't necessarily so. Take for example my experience today. I jumped on to MHM and found it on a map that I had not played for quite some time. I remember that we used to only play it as a group over at Excalibur Holland. So I knew it would be a tough slog by myself. But it quickly turned into a joke fest when I got to a certain point in the map and found myself attacked by every monster in the next area. Ordinarily they're more spread out, but this time the whole mob was behind the gate. This forced a gradual retreat to the spawn point. I tried to be sure to die as far away from the spawn point as I could so that this huge gang would not end up inside the little cabin where you appear in the map. But despite my best efforts there were just too many too well armed and I ended up in the situation where you spawn-die spawn-die spawn-die ad infinitum in this small space. If I had had more lives I would have eventually pared them down to the point where I would have time to run outside and draw them away. I was hoping to pull them back to the gate where I first met them, but suddenly the game was over because I had died 30 times. Perhaps 99 lives isn't so ridiculous after all, if you want to do single player in a difficult map??

I wanted to replay the map to see if I could do better but could not. The name of the map at the bottom of the screen was "Canyon Research Lab". However this map name is not in the map list that appears in map vote. So just what the hell is the name of this stupid map in map vote anyway? :roll:

Herm I thought you had resolved the issue, whereby the name of the map in map vote matches up to the name you see when you press F1 during the game?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: 30 Lives just ain't enough

Post by Hermskii » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Nope. Believe it or not in the very end, I was wrong to think that the name when hitting F1 is the map name. I had made the changes forever a long time ago on most CG maps and maybe some MHM maps but stopped when I figured out each map actually has 3 names and they can all be different. Describe the spawn point cabin better and also know it had to be one of the red ones on mapvote. Maybe it is even still playing now for that matter.

It makes me sick too Nameless. There is the name of the download folder, the name of the map, the name of the title of the map or something like that which is what you see when you hit F1. Choose almost any map on any other server from mapvote. Then when it starts hit F1 to see that name. See if they are the same. 80% of the time they are not. Drives me nuts!
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:27 pm

I took a chance and voted for MH-Canyon-revamp2. This was indeed the map in question. I think the name and title should match as "Canyon Research Lab". That is certainly more true to what you get when you work your way into the map.
Canyon revamp suggests a mere redo of the simple map "Canyon". And this one is in no way similar to that old chestnut. :lol:

And yes Herm, this business of the name and title not matching drives me nuts too. So often I have enjoyed playing on a map one time, only to come back later and not be able to find it in map vote, and have no idea which map I should choose to be able to go back and enjoy that map again. :roll:

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Want me to up the amount of lives on MHM? If so to how many? How about that map? Want me to rename it and reload it on the server and up on the redirect server and in my Map Collection folder?
~Peace~

Hermskii

Prowner

Post by Prowner » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:49 am

Hermskii wrote:Want me to up the amount of lives on MHM?
Nah, keep the 30 lives, makes more of a challenge! If this slightly rare occasion happens either vote, live with it or leave. Personally if I had more lives to go through I would be more annoyed than I should! If I had infinite lives though, then it would be fun, but there goes every other map and the challenge so I think it should stay constant. If you die, then you just lost the map, games don't make you win all the time, you have to work through hard puzzles, bosses, jumping and timing parts in any game to advanced and that's the basic flow of any video game.

So personally, leave it alone. I love it the way it is! :D Only I would prefer more maps on the server, but I don't have any on my mind right now.
I will either save you or kill you, convince me otherwise.

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:39 am

30 is more then enough :wink:

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:50 am

Yes by all means rename it to Canyon Research Lab please. And thanks in advance for all the work this will involve.

I guess you can leave the number of lives @ 30. If that situation resurfaces in the future, with the name of the map properly known one can always just reload the map or at least come back to it later if the name is marked in red already in map vote.

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:25 am

If you manage to die 30 times then you're just in over your head. Some maps balance the difficulty for multiple players and trying to do it alone is pointless. IceSkaarjAttack, I'm looking at you.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Consider it done Nameless even though it isn't. LOL. I treat every time I play like I'm the only one and take great care not to die yet there are some maps that by yourself are nearly if not totally impossible by one's self. Others are a breeze and I can get through with all lives intact!
~Peace~

Hermskii

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:42 pm

That's what happens when you grab an Assault map and convert it to MH. :roll:
Plain Old Telephone Service

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:59 pm