Virus on UT GOTY CD

Post all Curious George's Redeemer Insanity {CG} content here!
ShadowOfDeath
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Virus on UT GOTY CD

Post by ShadowOfDeath » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:48 pm

Weird thing here I found out tonight - First off, I have AVG Anti-Virus on my comp. and today I downloaded the new version of it - AVG 2011 - I go to play UT tonight, and my AVG pops up and tells me I have a virus in my unrealtournament.exe file - I'm like- say what ?? Actually it's a low-grade Malware called 'DunDun.a' -- So I'm thinkin ok, I must've picked it up on one of the servers I play on (not you guys, of course) - so I delete UT from my comp., and start it up, and WHAM - AVG hits me up again with the same thing - so obviously it's on the actual CD ! LOL - I have the original UT GOTY disk from the year '2000 - and I do mean it's really 10 yrs old - so I just went ahead and told AVG to bypass it....or I won't be able to play....I've been using this same disk forever, and never noticed anything wrong....All I can figure, is that 10 yrs ago, this 'DunDun.a' wasn't considered a malware, but nowdays it is.....I looked up DumDum - I mean DunDun, and here's a short explanation :

Virus: W32/DunDun.A
Date discovered: 25/07/2007
Type: File infector
In the wild: Yes
Reported Infections: Low
Distribution Potential: Low to medium
Damage Potential: Medium
Static file: No
File size: ~12.288 Bytes
Engine version: 7.04.00.50

Funny how they (Avira) only discovered it not till '07 yet this disk was made 10 yrs ago...weird sht huh.....Also on another website it says the virus is more prevalent in the UK, but I'm pretty sure UT was made in Czechloslovakia wasnt it ?

Anyway, thought I'd share this with you guys, and see if anybody else with AVG or any other anti-virus prog. had ever had this happen. :idea: :?:
SOD

MEAT

Re: Virus on UT GOTY CD

Post by MEAT » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:31 pm

Ditto on AVG upgrade today and ditto on that virus for me to.
And I to have the 10 year old CD's.

Hmm...I might just shut down UT all together...?
Naa...I was kidding guys. :wink:
You can all stop crying now. :P

What....tears of joy?

YOU'RE GONNA DIE CLOWNS !!!

ShadowOfDeath

Post by ShadowOfDeath » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:18 am

WOW dude - that's crazy how same exact thing happened to you today....I went ahead and let AVG bypass the damn thing - malwares that came out 10 yrs ago are friggin peanuts compared to the crap out today....I see nothing that it's doing - I got Internet Explorer 8 a couple weeks ago, and that damn thing probably slows my comp down more than that old-ass malware LOL....

clown dying :arrow: :evil: :cry: :twisted:
SOD

David

Post by David » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:52 pm

I have the original GOTY CDs as well, but I have Kaspersky 2011 and I had not had a problem with UT or with files from UT being alerted as malware or viruses.

I like Kaspersky for most part, but it can slow the computer down some.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

ShadowOfDeath

Post by ShadowOfDeath » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:20 pm

Ya I guess only certain prog's detect it.

Also @ Meat - did you notice the added extras to the new AVG 2011 - they added a rootkit scan in the scan section, and you also have the option of downloading AVG PC Tune-Up 2011 - fixes all kinds of stuff - but I think it changed something in my Outlook Express configuration - not sending mail correctly, so I'm gettin ready go in there and kick some OE butt.

:mrgreen:
SOD

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Aaahh ha - there is No "virus" on the UT CDs. :roll: (I have mine also - WELL preserved)
They are just so old, these new fangled detectors think it is a "virus" is all. :lol:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

ShadowOfDeath

Post by ShadowOfDeath » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Then why does it even give it a name ? I looked it up and it is still a current malware, albeit an outdated one. No biggie, we've been playin it all this time with no visible problems.

Killya later
8)
SOD

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:11 pm

ShadowOfDeath wrote:Then why does it even give it a name ? I looked it up and it is still a current malware, albeit an outdated one. No biggie, we've been playin it all this time with no visible problems.

Killya later
8)
Because virus alerts use "imprints"...
When they find something they don't understand - they use a "best fit" and they call it the closest name that "fits" it.
They name whatever it is on the CD that it finds the closest fit name in other words.
It is probably the CD protection that is the "virus" or "malware" that it detects.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:07 pm

I have the new antivirus and I scanned. It did not find anything thus did not say my UT was a virus either. Mine is the retail version that had 2 CDs.
~Peace~

Hermskii

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:39 pm

I downloaded/upgraded the new free edition of AVG 2011.
Is that the same one you have Hermskii?
Not sure if it had anything to do with the original CD's or maybe
something I downloaded along the way.

ShadowOfDeath

Post by ShadowOfDeath » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Ya AVG 2011 here too - it popped up and said it was unrealtournament.exe - virus called DunDun.a - i've had the CD's for 10 yrs and first time an AV program ever told me anything about it lol.

:?:
SOD

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:55 pm

Yes, it is AVG 2011 for me. Come to think of it, I may have GOTY edition installed. I don't know. How do I tell? I think I'm normal edition actually cause GOTY has different looking screens when the game boots up or something like that.
~Peace~

Hermskii

ShadowOfDeath

Post by ShadowOfDeath » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:04 pm

It'll say Game Of The Year Edition on the CD - mine's from '2000 - 2 CD's - 2nd one is just extra maps. Mine starts out with the 30 sec intro/ explaining the history of UT - thought all of em did that.
:idea:
SOD

Hook

Post by Hook » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12 am

ShadowOfDeath wrote:It'll say Game Of The Year Edition on the CD - mine's from '2000 - 2 CD's - 2nd one is just extra maps. Mine starts out with the 30 sec intro/ explaining the history of UT - thought all of em did that.
:idea:
Ditto (same here) Mine has a sticker on it I believe that says "Game Of The Year Edition" - but the 2nd CD has the notorious hi res textures on it (not extra maps) that we shouldn't use. :roll:

ShadowOfDeath

Post by ShadowOfDeath » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:36 pm

"In 2291, in an attempt to control violence among deep-space miners, the New Earth Government legalized no-holds-barred fighting. Liandri Mining Corporation working with the NEG established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions. The fight's popularity grew with their brutality. Soon, Liandri discovered that the public matches were their most profitable enterprise. The professional league was formed. A cabal of the most violent and skilled warriors in known space, selected to fight in a Grand Tournament. Now it is 2341, fifty years have passed since the founding of Deathmatch. Profits from the tournament number in the hundreds of billions. You have been selected to fight in the Professional League by the Liandri Rules Board. Your strength and brutality are legendary. The time has come to prove you are the best. To crush your enemies. To win the tournament."

8)
SOD