5i1ent/3ob

Please introduce yourself here. Follow the directions in the sticky named "Hermskii"
5i1ent/3ob

5i1ent/3ob

Post by 5i1ent/3ob » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi folks! I guess all this time I've been trying to register at an old site. 'A Faceless lady' suggested that I come here and try....TY! Well, I've been doing deemer almost since the beginning....viva la SRA! I remember quite clearly the first time I stumbled onto a redeemer server lol. For the first couple of months it was all I could do to love long enough to see where I was when I spawned in and figure out what to do next. I had a lot of encouragement from Hermski and the old crew and is probably the only reason I stick with it. I also have to admit that in the very beginning I more than once thought to myself, 'these guys have to be cheating!' hahaha. We lose so many people right from the get-go simply because they can't imagine ever competing, so they throw in the towel before they acquire even the first skill AND they end up missing out on all the fun and freaky gameplay that makes redeemer special. I'm glad I got on in the old days when people were more willing to talk, exchange hints, tips and just be encouraging in general. The first words Hermski ever said to me was, 'Hang in there Bob'. That was back when I actually was silent and refused to type anything other than 'smiles' That was an important moment because those words made me feel like the other players wanted me there and wanted me to hang tough. They made me believe that if I did I would eventually get better. I did get better with time and practice. I still get slaughtered plenty though. Meat said it best, "You're good but you aren't great". Unfortunately, I think I'm probably as good as I can get short of a connection upgrade or a beefier puter.
Contrary to popular belief though I don't play to win. I'd rather have good game play with good sports and lose then to win in a group of players with attitude and ego.
Don't get me wrong, I don't play to lose either, but winning isn't everything.
Anyway, it's good to be here!

-5i1ent/3ob

Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: 5i1ent/3ob

Post by Hermskii » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:10 pm

It's about time Silent Bob! Thank you so much for your big intro. It is always great to hear from the oldies about the old days! Welcome to the show! You actually did this right too. You started your own thread about yourself. I need to stress to do that in the original thread here.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Scify

Post by Scify » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:39 am

Hey 5i1ent/3ob,
Long time.
How you been doing?
8)
" If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous!"

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:03 pm

Welcome. Enjoy your stay. 8)
Plain Old Telephone Service

5i1ent/3ob

Post by 5i1ent/3ob » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:37 pm

Thank you, thank you! :D

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:32 am

Uh oh...an Old Skool player.
I better not bring up spawn kills/spraying/loop of poop/bots/telefragging/ping/small maps/etc...
Wait a min...I'll have nothing to talk about... :cry:

5i1ent/3ob

Post by 5i1ent/3ob » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:38 am

Yep, the old school way is how it all got started:) It's how we all played the game when the mod was new. You might say it's the original way to play. I'm not thinking of spawn locations when I run and gun though. I just try to shoot everywhere someone might be. Of course in large maps I find the need to hide and guide. We all have our likes and dislikes I suppose. I prefer smaller maps and is why I'm usually on CG rather than at your place. To me those are sniper maps and I don't like them for the same reason I don't play sniper...I bore easily lol. I find more big egos there than at CG too and I don't enjoy playing with those who have heads the size of your maps. There's an epidemic of poor sportsmanship out there if you ask me. People who over taunt, post-game explosions until your speakers rattle, people who piss and moan of they don't win, people who only type 'gg' if they do win, etc. I guess I'm just getting old, but to poke fun at someone when they screw up or if they have less experience or if you have a ping of 25 and you can actually outrun their missiles with your translocator, well it's just kind of mean isn't it? I've said it before and I'll say it till I die, I don't mind losing, but I hate playing jerks, win or lose. I'd rather lose in a match with good game play and good sportsmanship than win against jerks and egomaniacs.
Who decided spraying and run and gun tactics were bad form anyway? Is that something you decided on your own, Meat? I've been looking, but I haven't had any luck finding that in the rules. It sounds more like an opinion thing to me and you know what they say about opinions. Hey, you weren't the type of kid that took your ball home if everyone didn't play by your rules were you?:) Oh how many times have I heard you blame people for breaking this seemingly unwritten rule as if it were drafted in some UT book of etiquette. It's not man. Some people are for it and some aren't and it's as simple as that. Neither one is right or wrong. There's only one right way to play any game, sport or competition and that's with good sportsmanship. Those who are gracious winners and those who are honorable losers. Any other form is that of a jerk.

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:48 am

Welcome to the forums :mrgreen:

(And reduce the text.. Im not americans and I hate it to read that much!)

:?

Killer Klownz

Post by Killer Klownz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:23 pm

5i1ent/3ob wrote: Those who are gracious winners and those who are honorable losers. Any other form is that of a jerk.

Klownz is neither . . . . . Klownz is a destroyer . . . We are Klownz . . . Lower your redeemer and surrender your soul . . . Resistance is Futile . . . . . .
Evil is obvious only in retrospect.

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:53 pm

5i1ent/3ob wrote:Yep, the old school way is how it all got started:) It's how we all played the game when the mod was new. You might say it's the original way to play. I'm not thinking of spawn locations when I run and gun though. I just try to shoot everywhere someone might be. Of course in large maps I find the need to hide and guide. We all have our likes and dislikes I suppose. I prefer smaller maps and is why I'm usually on CG rather than at your place. To me those are sniper maps and I don't like them for the same reason I don't play sniper...I bore easily .lol. .
Hi SB welcome to the show.
Now where to begin...?
I agree old school is how it all started and we all played on small maps DESIGNED for small caliber weapons.
And lets just say a map is a map...because if you can play Redeemer on a small map you
can just as well use a rifle.
But talking strictly DESIGN wise I doubt the inventer of UT envisioned the use of a Nuclear Warhead in such a small space.
You would think they would use a bigger playing field.
But again Redeemer was an after thought and those that started servers used what maps they had. And at the time we mostly had small maps. Hence: it was the original way to play.

5i1ent/3ob wrote: Who decided spraying and run and gun tactics were bad form anyway? Is that something you decided on your own, Meat? I've been looking, but I haven't had any luck finding that in the rules. It sounds more like an opinion thing to me and you know what they say about opinions. Hey, you weren't the type of kid that took your ball home if everyone didn't play by your rules were you?:) Oh how many times have I heard you blame people for breaking this seemingly unwritten rule as if it were drafted in some UT book of etiquette. It's not man. Some people are for it and some aren't and it's as simple as that. Neither one is right or wrong. There's only one right way to play any game, sport or competition and that's with good sportsmanship. Those who are gracious winners and those who are honorable losers. Any other form is that of a jerk.
There was never a UT handbook of rules...you play with what is dealt...small maps you spray. But there is a strategy to winning on different maps. Your right there is no UT book of etiquette but there is common sense...that's what I preach.
But from day one my intentions were to build a Redeemer server with the redeemer in mind. I wanted the Redeemer to evolve as well as its players.
Does not make it right or wong but it only makes sense to use a Nuclear missile in larger maps...much like you saying larger maps are for sniping.
Anyway, it's an opinion that's been very successful and if I'm a jerk for wanting the Redeemer to evolve and if I'm a jerk for wanting and helping players to get better I'll take on that roll.

5i1ent/3ob

Post by 5i1ent/3ob » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:44 pm

I was fairly clear as to my definition of a UT jerk and I said nothing pertaining to helping fellow players or assisting the game to evolve being an earmark of a jerk. Both are clearly noble pursuits. Flaming players because of the playing style they choose to utilize is a different matter entirely isn't it? Flaming isn't expressing an opinion, flaming is flaming lol. In your post you state an opinion, but in game play it more often comes out as a negative retort against sprayers/spawn killers. You help other players I know. You've helped me in fact and it's appreciated. Let's not pretend that you don't play with attitude though....'careful' lol. It's difficult to suspect that someone is trying to help you if at the same time they're picking on you hahaha. I don't want you to misunderstand though. If I didn't like you I simply wouldn't play with you. I do like you however and game play with you is one of the few things that improves my playing ability. I always learn something when I play with Meat. I don't hate the big maps, but I do bore easily in some of them. At the same time I find the big maps to be a nice change up from the chaos at CG. I do have some tech difficulties. Sometimes it doesn't show up as active for me and I think it's down when it's not...still trying to figure that one out. And I can always count on a port scan/firewall hit within the first few minutes of game play there and that usually locks me up....still trying to figure that one out too.
Anyway, Meat I try to shoot straight from the hip and this is my take - Do you sometimes act like a jerk? You bet, I think we all do from time to time out there. Do I think you're a jerk? Nope, quite the opposite.

5i1ent/3ob

Post by 5i1ent/3ob » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:46 pm

Klownz is neither . . . . . Klownz is a destroyer . . . We are Klownz . . . Lower your redeemer and surrender your soul . . . Resistance is Futile . . . . . .

Oh I don't know. You're one hell of a player, but you always seem like a good sport to me. Maybe I just catch you on good days lol.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:40 pm

Hey welcome aboard at last, oh silent one. :D

If you ever do find that "secret ledge" in DM-Barricade, please break the silence and let us know, ok? :wink:
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

5i1ent/3ob

Post by 5i1ent/3ob » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:05 pm

If you ever do find that "secret ledge" in DM-Barricade, please break the silence and let us know, ok?
Absotively! Heck I can't keep a secret lol. I tell anyone who will listen everything I know...which isn't much. I think I screwed up the names when I was trying to thank you for leading me here though. Believe I said Faceless lady when I meant you, so...THANK YOU!

Fuzz_Ball

Post by Fuzz_Ball » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:54 pm

Hey /3ob!
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to have taken this long to say it.
It's nice to see all that you have to say.
I'll look forward to blowing you up soon.