Importing custom textures into Ued

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
HeLLSniPeR*
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Importing custom textures into Ued

Post by HeLLSniPeR* » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:07 pm

Alright, this isn't too hard, just need to know how to image edit a little bit ;). First, I highly recommend you get a pic program that can scale the size of your picture, not just the area of it, (I use Brush Strokes since it's like paint, but you can quickly import, rescale, and export pics. Anyways, say I wanted this pic to become a wall texture in one of my maps

That's a little to big, Unreal Ed can't handle photo's of random sizes. So, we need to make this pic 256x256 by editting it's properties in Brush strokes image editor (Picture -> Change Size), if you are using brush strokes, check the "Stretch to Fit" option in the change size box. And now you should have something like this:

Ah, much better now. Now, save you're picture. Make sure it is Bitmap format, (.bmp) It can be anything like true color bitmap, 256 color bitmap, 16 color bitmap ect but it MUST be a bitmap! Then, go into old Unrealed and into you're texture browser. To to the top and click Import, then select the destination you saved your picture in. Your pic isn't coming up eh? You need to change the .pcx into all files in the selection bar ;) then you should see you're picture. Now, hit import and make up a name for it's package (e.g. AwesomeWalls) You can leave groups blank if you only plan on putting a bunch of textures in without any organization. Then name the pic on what you want it to be. Do not put a space in the name! Unrealed is buggy with spaces in the name and you won't be able to click on it! You can select it to be mipmap or non mipmap, non mipmap makes it looks sharper, but takes up alot more disk space. Mipmap compresses it (Mipmap checked is ideal for putting screenshots in you're map.) Now it should be inside you're own custom made texture package! And, last but not least BE SURE TO SAVE IT!

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Re: Importing custom textures into Ued

Post by Hook » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:34 am

Gad-zooks this one isn't correct.
The parts about the sizes being only 256 x 256 and that it MUST be a bit map.
It CAN be other sizes and types of pic files!!!
I am also 99.9% sure that it HAS to be 256 color (not 16 color or true color)
Shadow342 posted this same tutorial over at my site also but they aren't totally correct.
I corrected the errors there but am too tired to do it now over here at Hermskii's. :?
They may WORK, but they are way too restrictive (mis-information) in what they teach.

AND - Please Please - When to DO add a custom texture to your map, INCORPORATE that custom texture INTO THAT Map!!! (so there is NO additional files to keep with the map) :P

I hope the above made SOME sense - too tired but I speak the truth.

Most of the UnrealEd2 tutorials out there have bad links and the like.
If you ever really need good Editor tutorials for UT, check with me! :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

HeLLSniPeR*

Re: Importing custom textures into Ued

Post by HeLLSniPeR* » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:35 am

K thanks Hook 8)