New map: Dead City 4 (actually going to finish version)

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!

Prowner

Re: New map: Dead City 4 (actually going to finish version)

Post by Prowner » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:40 pm

I've sent some of the "Dead City 4" map pictures before, but that one was really lame... So I deleted it and started from scratch again, and here it is so far:
(PS: EA, call this map blocky and I will personally gut you and send the photos on {HOH})(Plus, this is my very first map so I don't want to make it too detailed...)

Spawn point inside the research facility.

Front desk when you enter the building.

Research Facility outside view.

Directly inside the Nursery, entrance to your left.

The spiral stairs takes you to an outside balcony, with a door that leads to a basement with the minigun behind the barrels.

Outside view of Nursery, there's the balcony.

A little cellar I added outside for more rooms, pulse gun inside to your right.

A classroom that is inside the school, all 3 of them look similar.

A storage room inside the school second floor.

Outside view of the school and the bridge that leads to the princibles room above the armory.

Front desk directly inside the armory to your left.

The actually armory supply room...(not much, but I didn't want to make a stock pile...).

Little health supply store for more buildings and health supplying behind the research facility.

Inside the health supply store. Yes you can reach the med boxes.

The path way to a Nali Village I'm putting in to be more creative.

A waterfall, a river and a bridge for more decoration.

A cow pen I put in for more decoration and Nali effect.

The two basic Nali houses I'm using.

Inside the Nali house house.

Inside the hut from the "Nali Village][" map from Gopostal or Supreme, I forget... or none of them I don't remember...

Full view of Nali Village so far.

This is the principles room, but for the {MHM} members only... There's a secret in there...
So yeah, this is my first map so far, you probably won't like it since it's a dead city map, but hey, it's my first map. Don't rip on me since this IS my first map... Hope you think it's kind of creative. I'm going to put a: hospital, library, church and hotel. Post some ideas for buildings that could help me out. Thanks for looking!
I will either save you or kill you, convince me otherwise.

Blood Asp
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by Blood Asp » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:41 am

ermmm... *sweating trying not to say anything*... eehhh... BLEH!!!

CUBES! XD

Yeah it is kinda blocky.. well not kinda... very... but its also a bit too bright in alot of places it seems also, especially since its *Dead* City.

Just trim ur map a bit and make the lighting a bit better then it could look moderate detail :P *cube trims if u dont wanna make it too super* just vertex edit em a bit to make em look relatively good :idea:

And for another building... how about a strip club? ;) xD

Prowner

Post by Prowner » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:20 am

For your bright complaint, that only occurs during the daytime, and when your actually playing the game, it's not that bright, it's more realistic if you were to play it originally.
If your telling me that there is some tool to make the map not as blocky, then please tell me how to use it, that would help loads! :wink:
PS:... strip club...?...

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 am

Nothing personal but as some know... DC is a huge fail to me with those spam zombies..
Only one thing is fun to do in that map and that is rush it.

If you want me to play it make some BT :P

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:14 am

EA_Elemental wrote:ermmm... *sweating trying not to say anything*... eehhh... BLEH!!!

CUBES! XD

Yeah it is kinda blocky.. well not kinda... very... but its also a bit too bright in alot of places it seems also, especially since its *Dead* City.

Just trim ur map a bit and make the lighting a bit better then it could look moderate detail :P *cube trims if u dont wanna make it too super* just vertex edit em a bit to make em look relatively good :idea:

And for another building... how about a strip club? ;) xD
Rudeness as usual lol, hes a begginner mapper u cant expect him to be an expert at vertex editing and advanced brush design
-------.[ ]
---- -//|::|\\
----////| .|\\\\ <- 2 times the arms 2 times the awesomeness!
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:28 pm

Let's get back to the strip club part for a sec. OK. Thanks. That was a great second. Now lets keep in mind that while being critical, it was also helping and all options are on the board to happen and to be ignored by all mappers. We MUST support the mappers the most. Well, them and GOPO.

I would prefer that if you jump in and make suggestions that if you can help too that you do so. Thanks all.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Prowner

Post by Prowner » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:10 pm

If you want me to REALLY REALLY try, I can make a room that will look like a map designer made it if I put my true effort into... The thing is this is my first map so I don't want to have to waste a lot of time on it, so I can make you a really good designed room and I'll post it to see what I can really do! :twisted:
(Hopefully I don't sound like a retard when I post it and it looks like crap... :lol: )

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:13 am

"The great complaint can be your great revellation"

Also since ur a newb i guess you dont actually know what Vertex editing is (?) correct me if i am wrong.

But Vertex editing can certainly bring out the best in a map of any kind, Plenty of web tutorials around, hopefully u arent as lazy as HellFire and would actually bother reading them instead of endlessely bothering me, supreme, or gopostal to find stuff out because he cant be arsed. Yeah you know its true hell! :P

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:12 am

I think his map is looking very good myself.
First map or not.
Keep going!!! :P
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:51 pm

What I know is that before I started I read every single tutorial on the entire BB Drac site.
Only ofcourse I wasn't able to do everything in one try but after some time...
So I don't like to be called ''lazy''.
And since I know who says it, I indeed can't be arsed :wink:

Prowner

Post by Prowner » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Well hopefully I can turn into a great mapper since I too have done every single BB Drac tutorial and got them all on my first try! :twisted:
I am actually a very intelligent boy at my school. I'm always put in the honors classes. I'm doing chemistry as a 9th grader.

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:20 am

Well good luck we need good young enthusiastic mappers to keep MH alive
-------.[ ]
---- -//|::|\\
----////| .|\\\\ <- 2 times the arms 2 times the awesomeness!
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

Feralidragon

Post by Feralidragon » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Prowner wrote:Well hopefully I can turn into a great mapper since I too have done every single BB Drac tutorial and got them all on my first try! :twisted:
I am actually a very intelligent boy at my school. I'm always put in the honors classes. I'm doing chemistry as a 9th grader.
Be carefull with that. Confidence is one thing, another is over-confidence, and that might break what you're trying to do apart.

Don't think you will get things right on a first try, plus doing those tutorials is very good but making on a first try is something anyone can do: they are tutorials, not exactly tests, and also nothing guarantees you did them the best way possible, or even the correct way.

So, I disagree with people around here about being calm giving criticism to your work, since you're starting, specially since you radiate all that confidence. My 2 cents:
- If you want to do something good, hear every piece of criticism everyone has to offer.
- Think that being good at school doesn't mean anything in these kind of fields. It's about to practise and do this stuff several times to be good, you don't get good from the night to the day just because you know H2O is pure water better than anyone in your class for example.

So get your feet on the ground, and if you can do better, do it and show us, the "I don't want to waste much time in my 1st map" is no excuse from the moment you wanted to do a massive map like that, so either you are editing an already existing one and copying some brushes from another maps, and therefore making it "quick", or you are going indeed spend some time in that map (and therefore you already spent a lot of it) in case you're creating it from the very scratch.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but so far just try your best, since so far the shots don't show anything beyond what a regular new mapper usually does in the first attempts: some shots look decent for a 1st attempt, others don't look any good, but that's the way it is, and you just have to keep going and improve.

-SuPreMe-, I don't think EA_Elemental was being rude, actually what he said is true and that's what true helpfull criticism is, specially when the OP posts dozens of posts with that confidence. He just gave some tips, and if the OP is really interested in making something with a minimum degree of decency, he should listen carefully and look on how to do things properlly. Plus, if this is trully his 1st map ever, it's too big for for a 1st map, so I personally don't even know if he started it from the very zero, of if he started on a already existing DC (since editing would be easier and better due to many things in a first attempt with a map).

People with a very low degree of confidence should be lifted, and it's too high, we have to make them get their feet to the ground again, otherwise the final product will be disastrous, while if getting the right amount of criticism, there might come something decent in a 1st attempt.

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:17 am

Ferali is a wise man ;) :mrgreen: