DM-Pestilence (Pestilence)

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
{S.o.W}DeathMask
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: DM-Pestilence (Pestilence)

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:50 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Pestilence is almost done.

There are just a few little things left, such as putting in the screenshot in the map selection and setting the song (which will, by most chances, be the cinematic section of "Shared Dig"), that are the biggest parts, so I can say the final version is almost released.

I'm not posting the map yet because I'd like you (Pestilence fans - if there are any) to tell me if this final setting is allright for you.

Here are the major changes:
-Added a semi-external artificial lava fall;
-Changed the super-fast space skybox with a lava river with red and smoke-grey clouds;
-Swapped the Shock Rifle (and its close ammo) with the GES Biorifle (and its close ammo);
-Expanded the new Shock Rifle room which now has 2 windows (one on the wall and one on the floor) which can show the semi-external artificial lava fall from its front;
-Expanded the Flak Cannon room which now has one window which can show the semi-external artificial lava fall from its side;
-Moved a group of ammo from a second floor corridor to the lower main room, and made it a little bit more risky to grab them;
-Smoothed some more corners;
-Added an easter egg!

Below there are some multi-screenshots which I'll briefly describe:
Shot1.jpg
Screenshot 1 shows the Central Room from one of the top-corners on the ShieldBelt's side (this will most likely be the map Screenshot), and you can also see there are Pulse, Rocket and Flak ammo on the missing block, which is pretty near to the edge.

Screenshot 2 shows the same room from another point of view. From here, you can see the JumpBoots and the UDamage. A first preview of the sky is also noticeable.

Screenshot 3 displays the main corridor on the second floor. At the end of it there was a Shock Rifle with 2 Shock ammo. Now there is the GES Biorifle and its ammo. On the left of it there was the biosludge shooter, but now it has been replaced with the Shock Rifle.

Let's move to Screenshot 4. This is the new Shock Rifle room, very risky as it has only one way in and one way out, so be very careful when you get inside of it. You can also notice the windows to the semi-external artificial lava fall.

Screenshot 5 shows the lower corridor, where there was the Flak Cannon. Well, that room has been expanded, as you can see. Looking a bit forward, you'll see the Cross window, and the small bridge.

Screenshot 6 shows the Flak Cannon room's window, through which you can see the semi-external artificial lava fall. Flak Cannon is right under the camera, so it couldn't be displayed.
Shot2.jpg
Screenshot 7 shows the Cross Window mentioned on Screenshot 5 description. Now, through it, you can see that the lava river of the skkybox is connected to the semi-external artificial lava fall which is connected to the lava flow below the stone bridge, and on the Central room you can see that lava flow connected to the lava pool through a little fall, under the UDamage.

Screenshot 8 displays the Pulse Gun room. Since first beta, it has had less changes than all the others: I added a missing block (left side of the screenshot - BETAv2) and put an additive block on the higher corridor so that Armor is reachable with a dodge, without the need of the boots or of the Impact hammer (barely visible next to the Health Vials on the top right hand corner - BETAv2). I also added some more windows, as you can see.

In Screenshot 9 we come back to the Central Room, where you will notice I removed the "U" Logo from the upper window and another little preview of the SkyBox. Other than that, nothing changed since BETAv2.

Screenshot 10 displays this famous semi-external artificial lava fall (not reachable by the player if not through cheats - ghost will be your choice). On the right, you see the Shock Rifle room's floor window and the Flak Cannon room's window. On one of the pillar you will see this famous "Easter Egg". I'll talk about it later.

Screenshot 11 is the same lava fall from another point of view. From this you'll see the Shock Rifle room's front window and the Cross window below. And the easter Egg, of course.

Screenshot 12 is totally dedicated to the Easter Egg. Who downloaded my SoldierSkins_ZombiesUT knows this is one of the 4 playable characters of the pack. Precisely, this character is named Pestilence, the handsome guy who gives the name to the map.
Shot3.jpg
Screenshots 13, 14, 15 and 16 just show the new Sky Box. As I said above, it is no longer that famous super fast space sky (which is available in another map I will post soon - w00t lovers will like it), but it's a lava river that starts from Screenshot 15, while the Screenshots 14 and 16 are the right and the left side. The river turns left and ends on Screenshot 13. The ky is totally black except for the red and grey clouds, which move pretty fast.

After this long and boring description, I'd like you to tell me what you'd like to be changed before I decide to finish this once and for all. I wait for you, guys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
{S.o.W}DeathMask, 9 times CWC UT2003, 1 time EMKTC.

My Restaurant - Pub2000

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:06 pm

I'm not sure why, but for some reason when you developing it i thought it was a CTF map.

Got it on my home system but still haven't played it yet.

{S.o.W}DeathMask

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:12 pm

You just gave me the idea to make a CTF version of it as well.

My Restaurant - Pub2000

{S.o.W}DeathMask

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:36 pm

I managed to test Beta 3 online with Darkalrious and I found a huge problem: The new skybox uses "credits.utx" and I shouldn't have loaded it (thank God I managed to find another black texture from "UWindow.utx" and I fixed it). Using "credits.utx" causes the 90% of the UT players to have a version mismatch problem. This problem, luckily, is fixed, and all goes well.
Another problem I found was related to the dead corpse Easter Egg: I loaded the skin directly from SoldierSkins_ZombiesUT. This has been fixed too: I have the original textures, and loaded them into MyLevel package, but some online hackers can use it everytime they play it, loading MyLevel package (MyLevel.zomb1 etc.)

Soon the final will be released! Stay tuned!

My Restaurant - Pub2000

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:02 pm

Ah yes, be careful! :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:39 pm

And what's the deal with Credits.utx ? Already other guy found a solution against mismatches and against S3TC textures. Just copy Credits.utx to SoWCredits.utx and use new name called. Who cares then about Credits anymore ? Do not forget to clean garbage objects from map to not get called Credits.utx anymore. In end, any texture can be used if "is a need" to match your design. Do not let Epic to ruin your treasure.

{S.o.W}DeathMask

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks for the warning, Nelsona. But I already got the problem fixed, replacing every surface (garbage included) linked to credits.utx with others linked to UWindow.utx, which has that black texture I needed for the sky.
I'll keep this suggestion for the future, it may be helpful.

My Restaurant - Pub2000

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:56 am

Am I gonna have to download a new verison of this now?

{S.o.W}DeathMask

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:19 am

Yes, as soon as I released it. It WILL be the FINAL version, named DM-Pestilence.
Don't worry, it will happen soon...

My Restaurant - Pub2000

{S.o.W}DeathMask

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:20 pm

For your interest, I uploaded a video on YouTube about Pestilence Map (almost finished, I just need to fix one thing on the higher elevator, to cause bots to actually go there)

My Restaurant - Pub2000

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:46 pm

Great work here but see why I wait so long to put maps on the server? they have to be the final for a long time before I feel they are really done. Usually it takes me about 2-8 years. For real! LOL.
~Peace~

Hermskii

{S.o.W}DeathMask

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:16 am

Just a little time left...

My Restaurant - Pub2000

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:06 pm

We'll be waiting! :)
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

{S.o.W}DeathMask

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:38 am

Finally, Pestilence has come to its final version.

I've tested this map for much time and I haven't seen any sort of bug, but this doesn't mean this map is bugless (not even the awesome Deck16][ came up without bugs)
Some of you have waited long for this moment (me first), but now, here it is, the time has come.

Enjoy DM-Pestilence!
DM-Pestilence.zip
Next projects: DM-JumperFixed; DM-Arrogance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Restaurant - Pub2000

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:59 pm

Played it, well mapped!

On a personal note, which may slighty improve your map's rating:

I wouldn't pick a song from the original Unreal, for Unreal Tournament that uses a DM / CTF /DOM related gametype. It doesn't fit the actioned-gameplay. But now you chose, it goes with the theme, not the killing.

The weapons and pickups are nicely devided around the map, but make the low-ranking weapons easy to find and the more powerfull such as sniper and rocketlauncher harder to find. Switch the ripper for the rocketlauncher for example. I had bots spamming rockets all over while I was left certain times with a weapon that couldn't counter the opponent I was facing.

Make the clouds move quitely, that would calm the setting for the skybox.
Nicely done , that carved terrain and lava water fall btw!

Again this is my personal point of view, see them as friendly tips.
---

other than that, great map!
We want more where that came from! :wink: