DM-Arrogance (Arrogance Outpost)

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
{S.o.W}DeathMask
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

DM-Arrogance (Arrogance Outpost)

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:40 pm

This map is a relatively complex DeathMatch map studied for 1-on-1 and 2-on-2 fighting.
Arrogance Outpost is made of two main wide rooms, so watch for snipers. Combos and Rocketing is harder. This map has a SGTech1 layout (as many people like such package) - Bonus Packs required!.
Arrogance Outpost is also well suited for mutators which bring lots of pain in large zones (e.g. Reedemer arena, Nali Weapons 3 etc.), but it's even better with classic settings.

Here are some multi-screenshots with some description which show how is the map:
Shot1.jpg
Screenshot 1 shows the biggest of the two main rooms. From here you can watch the big Keg O'Health, so imagine how wide is that area. As you can see, there's also a little of z-axis gameplay: this room is made of 4 layers (lower grey floor, higher grey floor, higher ramp and Armor spot, which will be shown in Screenshots 2 and 3).

In screenshot 2 you'll see the same room from another point of view. Here you can see the Armor spot, reachable through the higher ramp or through the teleporter located in the very left of the image (you can see better in screenshot 3).

Screenshot 3 shows the ways of reaching the Armor (both teleporter and higher ramp). From here you can also see the Keg O'Health, the minigun and the Shock Rifle (At the giant column's feet).

Screenshot 4 takes you at the column's feet, where you can see two passages (on the left and on the front): the corridor on the left brings you to the other room (ripper inside), and the end at the front splits its way in two: the one on the left leads you in the other room directly and/or in a big corridor, and the one in the right takes you in a higher layer of this room.

Screenshot 5 shows the big corridor above mentioned: it's two-layered, and there's a GES BioRifle (with ammo) and a Sniper Rifle (On the other edge, can be reached only through a lift, so watch out).

Screenshot 6 shows the other wide room: It's the smallest between the two, but it's absolutely not less complex.There's a ThighPads pickup between two MedKits and a PulseGun in the lowest floor. Take a deep look at the elevator in the background though. You can see a bit of z-axis gameplay here too, but this room requires fast movements, if you don't want your right leg to fly away searching for the left arm.
Shot2.jpg
Screenshot 7 displays the same room from another point of view. From here you can see a RocketLauncher and an appearently unreachable bridge. Now, do you notice why I told you to take a deep look at the elevator in Screenshot 6? A little of BunnyTrack basic skills are required to reach the nice bonus of several ammo, +25 HealthPoints in Vials and the ShieldBelt.

Screenshot 8 displays the smallest room from the biggest one (mentioned in Screenshot 4). This shows one of the main look features of this map: Special lights. You surely noticed those deep red lights over there right? They're not custom textures. They came along with the original Unreal Tournament. And they're originally white. "Special Lit" property and some light effects give these lights a wonderful dynamic look.

Screenshot 9 shows another of the look features: The sky. Arrogance Outpost is located in a desertic zone, and it's set in the night. Look at the terrible red moon and at the dark clouds: this should remind a little horror to the tournament fighters.

Screenshots 10 and 11 show the most useful feature though: the capability of the player to see from one room to the other. And this explains a little of the complexity of this building, in its simplicity.

Screenshot 12 is the classic Easter Egg: Arrogance Zombie, which gives this wonderful map its name.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
{S.o.W}DeathMask, 9 times CWC UT2003, 1 time EMKTC.

My Restaurant - Pub2000

{S.o.W}DeathMask

Re: DM-Arrogance (Arrogance Outpost)

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:21 pm

So, ladies and gentlemen:
I've updated Arrogance outpost according to your suggestions (In particular GenMoKai, HellKeeper, papercoffe and Rocky) by lowering a little the lighting section and trimming the floors. Plus, I've made other changes, which I'll describe below.
Shot1.jpg
Screenshots 1,3 and 5 are the old ones, while the screenshots 2, 4 and 6 are the updated map.
You can notice the overall being slightly darker and with a more spooky atmosphere. You can also notice the trims on the floor edges on all layers.

Particular attention on screenshots 5 and 6: you can notice I've slightly updated that section by adding one RocketLauncher on the very right of the Armor section.
Shot2.jpg
In Screenshot 7 I replaced the Shock Rifle with a Sniper Rifle, and moved the Shock Rifle on the upper layer.

In Screenshot 8 I moved the Rocket Launcher from its previous position to the door on the wall bridge. There's the ThighPads pickup now on the old spot.

Screenshot 9 shows what I mentioned above: You can see the ThighPads no longer between the two MedBoxes, but it replaces the old Rocket Launcher. In the background, you can see a second Shock Rifle.

I forgot to say something about the ShieldBelt, too. Screenshot 10 shows how's hard to reach it (requires lift jump or impack jump from wall bridge) and how's easy to get shot/killed once you reached the belt.

In few words, This is the updates list:

-Lowered/improved the lighting;
-Trimmed all the floors;
-Added one Rocket Launcher;
-Added a Flak Cannon (Screenshots didn't show it, it's in the big corridor, on the lower part);
-Added a Shock Rifle;
-Added a Sniper Rifle;
-Bot Pathing;
-Added a song. Below a preview.

And you can also find a playable beta here:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Restaurant - Pub2000

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:34 am

Good job! Looking good. I will try this after I finished some stuff.

To Hermskii:
I think this topic would be better at mapping section?

{S.o.W}DeathMask

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:04 am

Terraniux wrote:To Hermskii:
I think this topic would be better at mapping section?
Where I've put all the other maps. I forgot about Mapping section :mrgreen:

My Restaurant - Pub2000

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:26 am

1) I find it a little weird you don't have a discussion thread for this map on your own forum, but I loaded up some other screenshots of it over there.

2) Good play, nice pathing, don't much like the music.

3) That thing they said over at ut99.org about the size ratio being a bit off? Yeah, it felt that way to me too... but I'm too sleepy from after work to tell if it feels a little too big or a little too small.

4) Hit the map up for 10 minutes with my fave DM mutators in place. It was a blast and very fun!

I realize this is only the BETA release but I can't wait until the final version is ready to go.

{S.o.W}DeathMask

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:00 am

EvilGrins wrote:1) I find it a little weird you don't have a discussion thread for this map on your own forum, but I loaded up some other screenshots of it over there.
There is. It's the same thread where you downloaded the map from.

My Restaurant - Pub2000

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Just played it. Good match, some bots really do know how to kill.
I agree with EvilGrins about the music. It also doesn't have any to do with arrogance or fast-action. But this is personal of course. Prefer the normal GoDown over number two.

Some minor notes on the map:

Lighting:
Add lighboxes ( not necessary)
Add flares
Add a red subtile pulsing light on the floor, where the red-coloured-trims are.
This will make the map more dynamic and even prettier.

Texturing:
Try to use more different textures. These textures nicely fit in the current theme(good job btw) and makes the industrial style as it should it be. But from a bird's eye view, or as seen in general overview on the screenshot you used as attachment - It's like a colour photo layed in a box for 20 years and colours are fading slowly to gray.

The green walls is also a favorite pick of me. But use more lively colours for the pillars and other corridors. As used in this map ( a favorite of me btw) : CTF-Bleak.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/11835984/CTF_Bleak_UGN
( I believe there are more versions of this map, even prettier but it gives an idea)

Other than that, good map!
We want more!

Terraniux

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Pretty sure I downloaded it from somewhere else... but you're right.

I didn't see the downed-zombie on the map, but that may've been due to the bots. Just as some players find a corpse on a map and shoot it, sometimes bots do the same thing.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:42 am

My turn:
- Nice environment;
- I'm not sisturbed by any light or such;

But... Getting over nice things - not everyone plays in the same way, I just want to see in final version a better pathing not jokes like here:
- LIFT is not BumpOpenTimed - That is a DOOR - very described in tutorial even ripped from Epic in rar archive format - else Bot will cheat summoning lift when he wants. (As a wish for extended DM prototypes, I would like to see BT_PawnBump - but is not a must-have for normal DM - my DM is tweaking them anyway);
- Exagerated number of nodes, really to many, looks like a truck with nodes has been blown up and nodes were spreaded on ground
No Need these:
Not_this00.JPG
neither
Not_this01.JPG
neither
Not_this02.JPG
See also Biorifle and PathnodeNode107, SniperRifle and Pathnode86... - don't do like Elliot Mischa (and Cannon) - some Miniammo spot, etc. Did you see paths in editor ? a Path having 40 50 UU is pointless just loading useless engine and even might loop pawn between those Nodes. INVENTORYSPOT is a part of a path - it doesn't need a node around it.
If I wanna play DM 1on1 if nothing triggers a monster or a Bot, any of them might get stucked at a moment into such place - Hint: SEE editor log from pathing.

Eh, no problem I can wait others better in future.

{S.o.W}DeathMask

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:09 am

Nelsona wrote:My turn:
- Nice environment;
- I'm not sisturbed by any light or such;
Thanks.
Nelsona wrote:- LIFT is not BumpOpenTimed - That is a DOOR - very described in tutorial even ripped from Epic in rar archive format - else Bot will cheat summoning lift when he wants. (As a wish for extended DM prototypes, I would like to see BT_PawnBump - but is not a must-have for normal DM - my DM is tweaking them anyway);
That's one thing I ALWAYS forget about movers during mapping. BETA2 (or final) will have this.
Nelsona wrote:- Exagerated number of nodes, really to many, looks like a truck with nodes has been blown up and nodes were spreaded on ground
Initially I wanted the bot to go everywhere on the map (NOTE: I made the pathing first, unlike I might have said somewhere else, and unlike I usually do - because of the now failed size proportions mentioned at UT99.org).
Nelsona wrote:No Need these:
Not_this00.JPG
The PathNode in the middle was set there because in previous build, without it, the third node (the one in the right) it was linked to the first one (the one in the left) with the red line. Or it could be just me who saw wrong. Will fix this.

Nelsona wrote:neither
Not_this01.JPG
Before the lift, there was a ramp. That's one node I forgot to remove. Same for the one on the other exit. And same for the other lift: there was supposed to be a jumper at the very center of the other lift.
Nelsona wrote:neither
Not_this02.JPG
See also Biorifle and PathnodeNode107, SniperRifle and Pathnode86... - don't do like Elliot Mischa (and Cannon) - some Miniammo spot, etc. Did you see paths in editor ? a Path having 40 50 UU is pointless just loading useless engine and even might loop pawn between those Nodes. INVENTORYSPOT is a part of a path - it doesn't need a node around it.
If I wanna play DM 1on1 if nothing triggers a monster or a Bot, any of them might get stucked at a moment into such place - Hint: SEE editor log from pathing.
I'll keep it in mind. I thought bot would have refused to go in pickup places in case I'd have played gamemodes such as instagib, deleting all pickups. Making, by all effects, the bot walk fewer paths. But if that's not the case, I'll remove them.
Nelsona wrote:Eh, no problem I can wait others better in future.
I didn't fully understand this one.

At any rate, would you make a pathing review for this other BETA map which has been a BETA for too long? Also consider I'm still trying to get bots "afraid" of the lightnings through fearspots.

My Restaurant - Pub2000

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:26 am

Good... Then let's walk into the subject.

InventorySpot = PathNode, if this is helpfull... else if some pawn got that armor and/or ammo (whatever thing), this not means that path is suddenly wiped. If path is destroyed = Server/Game crash in a matter of seconds. Logic is: Engine will compute a path for pawn in miliseconds, if a path is ruined will cause probably a divide by 0 and... Sayonara Bye bye. Mutators removing Weapons won't remove any path. InventorySpot is placed by editor and contains pathing informations STATIC, those cannot be altered by mutators so easy unless an evil dumb admin wants to crash server. That's why you don't need to give password to anyone unknown...

Speaking about testing, you don't need to believe any of my words. Do a Simple test:
- make a cube (map) with a weapon respawntime 200 seconds;
- put some path through that weapon up to another one - in oponent corner;
- move into other side and place a RememberSpot;
- come back to start, getting weapon on the way (set bWeaponStay=False for this game) so weapon is no longer available until respawning moment;
- now if you are located at PlayerStart area type ShowPath in console. Probably you will find path to your spot even if weapon is missing.
See a kind of example:
Checking.JPG
Just try such a simple thing and if you misunderstood something just speak about what not works.

Advanced A.I. madness:
As for additional tweaking A.I., might be coded different things to set nice attitudes. Let me dig imagination:
- a nearby trigger might fire an event to a something noisy or explosion;
- this one will activate a Fearspot or will block a path to that point making Bot to look scared and more realistic;
- option B: A runner trigger making Bot to run like was scared at least 1200 UU around activatable at once with explosion or such - the mostly this might be MH stuff (not exactly Coop and Sp) but won't hurt if is used into DM.

Hint: a NavigationPoint IS NOT a need to be bStatic with any matter, LiftCenter by example is not bStatic. Checking for inspiration at JumpSpot, you can add into MyLevel dynamic nodes able to block a path when are triggered randomly, is not a Rocket Science.
Testing can be done even without any Bot using ShowPath and logs.