ut99.org's 512k mapping contest

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

ut99.org's 512k mapping contest

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:40 pm

Been going on for a little bit over a week, only a few maps so far; more than 4, less than 10.

Contest is here · https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59 ... 06adc4c4ed

My initial review of them is here · https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3 ... 732#p68732

Nelsona

Re: ut99.org's 512k mapping contest

Post by Nelsona » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:08 am

EG, what can I say ? I cannot consider myself a very, very sane and stable mental guy but those people at ut99.org sometimes are really surprising me. If I'll start to look around, probably I can find more maps for 512k chapter and even I can stay very close to that size without a problem. Once having ignited an idea I can develop it changing more things to look very different and original, to adjust a small thing inside and Here It Is.

The BIG Question: What for ?
A CD/DVD with Unreal or such ? If they are playing using legal copies why do they need this premium ? How many copies of UT do you need normally ? You see ? Some people making noise there are using stupid dumb crappy copies and even for editing looking at some last stuff mapped for MH victimized constantly without rest, and probably this competition is to save his/her a..s. I'll bet will win an ugly one without Bot-Support or not a good one. Let me refresh memory - like DM-SmallMountain or such - a piece of crap with jumpers making Bot to get stucked jumping as retard doing nothing.

Ah... I understand such a map doesn't need a special pathing because is probably small and will pass over some 0-Skill-Pathing mapper, else is faster in download and won't take redirect space and bandwidth, else spoken is something cute for Unreal Engine. Good, then I was waiting for addiction and sharing without to expect special rewards.

But... because idea has been fired up. I'll participate at this competition... in outside. I mean I'll do some small craps with a few tiny decos. I just need a bit of time because I have to dig imagination. Once done I'm going to add them in my testing server and probably later I will share them with less noise. Maybe!

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:48 pm

Go for it! Good luck.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:39 am

Already I have idea about some 52k map (DM-SmallHole, SmallLake, SmallCave, etc.) - reversal of SmallMountain or such stupidity. Ideas are a lot but... eheh, I was busy with the same UT'99. I tuned a replacement technology for stuff placed behind a wall, not very placed in map (read again) - and I consider this thing a higher priority than drawing and also much useful to develop a fix without to screw original look, based on my RESPECT for mapper's idea related to managing map secrets - I repeat "idea" not the way how was executed. Once developed new technology, next moves means testing 20-30 such "works" to see if things are OK.

The great good thing is: I copied hints required to gain the a smaller map as possible like a tutorial - some of them known others less known undocumented by Epic. That's why For me is interesting to look from outside :mrgreen: .

UnderNote:_ You can ignore my post but I was happy today so I've been singing something due to my current state.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:06 pm

I shall form the greater challenge: The 1k map contest!

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:32 pm

LOL - Yes!
I wonder how small (file size) a map can be? :P
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:09 pm

Hook wrote:I wonder how small (file size) a map can be? :P
1 crazy find is a DM map where there's only room for 1 spawnpoint, played with multiples each player gets killed the moment another spawns into the game.

Whee!

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:18 pm

The contest is over, all finalized maps are linked on the first page:
https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59 ... 06adc4c4ed

Now it's approaching the judging time. They're setting up servers to play them on.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:32 am

This is good. I have almost all those maps. I will do some testing myself. Yes, not all of them are OK for this competition. One of them being hosted in a "great" place, I couldn't download it, never mind. I'll try to summarize strange things (by example KingJosh has pathnodes higher and aren't cover all map) later to note what deserve special attention.

By example if in CTF maps Bots follow always the same route, never switching, that one has no deal with AlternatePath, I'm not playing on such maps, else I'm burning by curiosity to find the winner.