brushes- save or export/intersect de-intersect

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
scrypt17

brushes- save or export/intersect de-intersect

Post by scrypt17 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:16 pm

1. going through the tutorials most state the save/load feature is glitchy,
for the most part i'd agree, however i've been able to save and load
brushes.
the tutorial recommend exporting/importing. whats the difference?
what would you reccomend?

2. if i am building a zone of several rooms is it better to deintersect it
then buildit again as a single brush? i am gettin many, many lines on
my map and it is getting difficult to tell if i'm lining things up correctly.

Scrypt17

K
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by K » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:30 pm

I have never exported a brush but i have saved a brush a couple times before. They load up just fine when i needed them again. I only save a brush if i make it in 2d editor because once the window is closed the brush is lost that you created , so i save them in case i need to use it again.

exporting/importing would be more useful imo if you create a brush in a 3d program and import it to UT as a mesh per say.

de-intersect is for making cuts on a brush that overlap another brush without having to use the cut tool and markers.

I have never combined two brushes together ,but i want to lean how just so i can cut down on some bsp.
If you are making a couple rooms though it is better i think if they were all separate brushes. You should use zone portals in the doorways so your map runs faster.

If you have to many things on the screen obstructing your view of what you are working on then you need to learn the wonderful buttons called "hide/show actor"
UnrealWiki wrote:Partial viewing & building

Extremely useful when a map gets complex. Use the Visibility group in the toolbox to either hide selected brushes and actors or to show only those selected. This will clear up orthogonal UnrealEd View ports and show you only the parts you want to work with. To speed up build times, check the "Only Rebuild visible Actor?" option box in the build window. This option affects all the building buttons in the tool bar.

I don't recommend doing using the last part. When you use semisolids or portals sometimes it effects surrounding bsp and if a real full build is not done you might not notice it messing things up.

When i open my map :
I zoom out real far on a side or top view.
I hold down CTRL+ALT and drag open a box around the area i am working on. I then hit the "Show only selected actors" button.
Everything will disappear but what i am working on. It is still there though so be careful not to build on top of something that is not visible.
To see everything again you just hit "show all actors"
You can also individually select the actors to hide.
Or multiple ones by holding down CTRL when you select.
Try it out.
I use that tool Allot when i am mapping because things do get jumbled together as you build more and more.

As far as saving/loading being glitchy? It is good practice imho, to do a build before saving. I usually test play also to make sure there are no errors before i save. Never had a problem because of this.