Anyone clever with .ini files?

Post all {HOHCUT2K4} content here!
a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Anyone clever with .ini files?

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:39 pm

I did a lot of downloading and installing into UT2k4 today. I wasn't sure of what I had, and what I didn't except for those two maps and the version 1.1 Editors choice bonus pack. I did some extra downloading and planned to just overwrite everything to be sure I had it all.

I put in the patch, only to read in the release notes afterwards that it should go in last. (Gee thanks!) So I put in all the bonus packs and maps I wanted, then reinstalled the patch.

Somehow, all of my settings got trashed in the process. And I do mean all of them. For example, the settings screen for configuring your movement keys was blank. And hitting "reset" did nothing. I think I got around that by selecting a game type, and then going back. Choosing reset this time worked. I say I think I did that, because I don't recall now. I had to fool around with a lot of stuff and try this and that to get at ALL of the settings so I could rebuild what I used to have. I am now 99.9% done. But strangely, when I go to play a map under "Instant Action" now, instead of the seeing the usual artwork of a couple of UT2k4 characters standing there in an action pose, with a game hint underneath, all I get is a black screen with white lettering, with the game hint underneath also in white lettering. I hate this ugly screen. I have attached an example of what I am getting.
Oddly enough, I seem to recall having this happen before, but do not recall how I got it fixed. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Re: Anyone clever with .ini files?

Post by Hermskii » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:34 am

Bummer buddy. I have not seen that before. I installed the mega patch which is supposed to install the 3369 patch but when I tried to install Chaos it told me I wasn't patched high enough so I installed the 3369 patch and then Choas installed. I think Chos support stopped before the mega patch was built. If I were you, I'd unistall it all. then:

InstallUT2004
Start the game up and shut it back down.
Install UT Patch 3369
Install CHaosUT for 2004 (UMOD) Always use the UMODS if you can help it)
Install UT2004 MegaPatch because it includes the ECE package and some extra DM maps.
Install Community Bonus packs 1 then CBP2 Volume 1 and CBP2 Volume 2.
Start the game up and try it out!
~Peace~

Hermskii

ZippityDooDa

Post by ZippityDooDa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:32 pm

a nameless entity wrote:I did a lot of downloading and installing into UT2k4 today. I wasn't sure of what I had, and what I didn't except for those two maps and the version 1.1 Editors choice bonus pack. I did some extra downloading and planned to just overwrite everything to be sure I had it all.

I put in the patch, only to read in the release notes afterwards that it should go in last. (Gee thanks!) So I put in all the bonus packs and maps I wanted, then reinstalled the patch.

Somehow, all of my settings got trashed in the process. And I do mean all of them. For example, the settings screen for configuring your movement keys was blank. And hitting "reset" did nothing. I think I got around that by selecting a game type, and then going back. Choosing reset this time worked. I say I think I did that, because I don't recall now. I had to fool around with a lot of stuff and try this and that to get at ALL of the settings so I could rebuild what I used to have. I am now 99.9% done. But strangely, when I go to play a map under "Instant Action" now, instead of the seeing the usual artwork of a couple of UT2k4 characters standing there in an action pose, with a game hint underneath, all I get is a black screen with white lettering, with the game hint underneath also in white lettering. I hate this ugly screen. I have attached an example of what I am getting.
Oddly enough, I seem to recall having this happen before, but do not recall how I got it fixed. Any ideas?
You can delete your user.ini and unrealtournamet.ini and restart teh game giving you a fresh install of your config settngs then go and reconfigure your keys.
11100000.11111111.11111111.00000000 /24

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:43 am

Forcing a rebuild didn't work, but I found that restoring an old user.ini file did work. So all is good in that regard. :)

However now I would like to know how to get rid of that stupid movie that is an ad for Nvidia cards. I know that is a simple fix, but can't recall what it is.

Also, how/what do I change where to get rid of those ? question marks that blot out a character choice? I'm am NOT going to play the single player all the way through to open them up. NO way! :lol:

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 am

Herm, restore the edit button please!

Hammer

Post by Hammer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:52 am

For unlocking Malcolm, Xan and Clanlord look in the UT2004 User ini. for "TotalUnlockedCharacters" and change it to TotalUnlockedCharacters=Malcolm;ClanLord;Xan

If you have other question marks besides these 3 they are probably from custom player models/skins that were removed. Just find and delete the appropriate player.upl files in the ut2004 system folder.

To remove the NVidia intro movie look in the ut2004 ini. for "LocalMap=NvidiaLogo.ut2" and change it to "LocalMap=NoIntro.ut2" to go straight to the main menu, or add in one of the cinematic intros like Mov-UT2-intro.ut2 or MOV-UT2004-Intro.ut2

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:22 am

Hammer rules. Hey Nameless, I too have meant to do all of that stuff but had not found the time to look up how to do it. I'll say it again then...Hammer rules. Thanks Hammer.

Edit button huh? You know, I would BUT doing so had a lot to do with many of the problems I had to face a few maonths back when everything went badly here for that short period of time. Consider this: I don't like having people be able to come in and modify their stuff and here is why. There are certain members here that use aliases. They would be able to log in and delete everything they ever posted if I turned on the edit button. I don't want that to happen so I removed it. Does that hold enough water in your opinion for me to keep it off?

I would find a way to aloow certain people to do it but even then last time I did, those certain people came in and nuked lots of stuff even after I told them not to. I don't want to have to take down and restore the forum each time somebody does it and I don't want to have to check each day to see if they did nuke stuff. I'd rather just turn it off and know I'm covered.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:38 pm

a nameless entity wrote: delete your user.ini and unrealtournamet.ini and restart teh game

how/what do I change where to get rid of those [stupid] ? question marks that blot out a character choice? I'm am NOT going to play the single player [game] all the way through to open them up. NO way!

a few maonths back to aloow
Well it just seams that somtimes despite having a rpeview button I mangage to make spelling and grammar mistakes like teh ones in the quote, and would like a chance to correct them. Isn't there a timer function you can activate? Or set it up so that you cannot edit once someone replies?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:04 pm

I am already looking into it and so far the answer is no.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:35 am

Nameless, did you ever fix that black screen isuue?
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:05 pm

Yes I did. But I used an old user.ini backup file I had.
See my reply in the other thread.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Got it and used your info too. Thanks! I'll let you know if it worked too if the guy ever tells us!
~Peace~

Hermskii