Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Time to help someone else

Post by Hermskii » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:43 am

OK, We get plenty of help here from each other and that makes me very proud of this forum and its members. Now, I'm trying to help another person from a different forum. He describes a problem that I think Nameless described here before. The artwork splash screen that pops up with the name of the map that you see when the map is loading up is just showing an all black background instead. The person who is asking about this said it is a clean install and feels it happened after he installed some of the bonus packs. Did whoever had this similar here ever fix this and if so, please tell me what the fix was so I can pass it on. He also says that when he gets intothe game, he can't fire or alt fire with his mouse all of the sudden. Thanks!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Sir Mandrake
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No

Re: Time to help someone else

Post by Sir Mandrake » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:40 pm

Hmm thats odd... Ive never run into that with ut2k4. Maybe I can reinstall fresh, load the patch and bonus packs and see what happens. At this point all I can suggest is to make sure they have the latest video drivers installed and the latest Directx. Then let the game reprofile the computer drivers for best performance. See if the game operates correctly with those settings before adjusting them.
--- END OF LINE ---

a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No

Re: Time to help someone else

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:36 pm

I got the problem after (re)installing one of the bonus packs and the latest patch.
I installed the Chaos mod after that, and it caused no problems.

My fix was to use an old backup user.ini file I had stored in the game folder. I tried comparing the new ini file with the backup to see what and where the difference was, but they didn't list all of the text in the same order, and seemed quite different from each other as to their overall content as well. The game runs with this older ini file, so I don't care if I undid a change or two that the new patch was supposed to do in order to solve some problem or other.

It sounds like he just needs to go to Input and reconfigure his movement keys in order to get fire and alt fire back onto his mouse.

Perhaps if there is nothing too fancy in your newly patch rewritten user.ini file Herm, you could try sending it to him since yours works?
I suppose he will have to go over all of his settings from player name to movement keys and speech binds though, if he uses someone else's player.ini file.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess