Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Get them hooked on UT for free!

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:06 am

There have been topics throughout the UT community showing a free and legal way to give UT to anyone you'd like play UT with. I'm unsure if it is actually described anywhere on the 33network web-site.

One of the things I want to stress about 333networks is that they seem to especially cater to the free demo of Unreal Tournament and its players. There is no better way to get people interested in a game than to hand it to them for free and then to supply free support for it.

[EDIT: What I say right below this does not work. Don't try it. I left it to continue the flow of this topic since there are already responses to this statement.]

Here is what I know you can do and I invite Darkelarious or anyone else to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong or left out a detail but here is how you give UT to someone for free: (I'll edit this and provide links very soon)

1. Point a friend to a download of the free Unreal Tournament Demo. It can be found all over the internet.

2. Have them download and install it.

3. Now send them to download and install the UT 436 NoDeltaPatch which is also free. It can be found here: http://Hermskii.com/Files/UT436NoDeltaPatch.exe

At this point, it is my understanding that they can play what is nearly a full install of the retail version of UT and connect online and play on servers as well. If you want new players I can't think of a better way than this to get them.

Again, if what I have said here is in error, please notify me so I can make the corrections to this post of this topic!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Darkelarious
Location: Phobos Moon Station, somewhere between Deimos and Mars.

Re: Get them hooked on UT for free!

Post by Darkelarious » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:40 am

To be honest, I myself never used this technique before. At a certain point I obtained a copy of Unreal Tournament GOTY and played Monsterhunt for a while.

The closest thing we have to a "full version in demo" is Mod Planet, our beloved server which has all the UT GOTY features, except for new maps.

But the least we can do right now, is providing some nice tutorials about installing UTdemo, and give people a motivation to actually do so. And as a start, I would like to introduce a new website with ONLY screenshots for ONLY UTdemo:

http://screenshots.333networks.com

As soon as people are addicted enough to this demo, they will start looking around at websites like 333networks, see other links to --for example-- some weird Redeemer-only server, or Monsterhunt server and voilá, reinforcements! :wink:

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:01 pm

I stand corrected. While trying to do what I mentioned above, I have failed. I could have sworn there was a way to do this. In searching online I have found plenty of places that offer free UT of almost every version but I could have sworn I read about a flaw in a patch which made the DemoUT438 into almost a free full version of UT legally. I'm still digging around. I did not find the process anywhere on this forum.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:20 pm

With his permission I put the UT demo onto my brother's family PC and then patched it with the 436 patch. That got the bare bones game working, and from there it was just a mere matter of downloading from the servers I wanted to play on to get the rest.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Maybe that was what I was doing wrong. I was using the 436NoDleta patch and not the regular one. Hmmm? I found the original link I was looking for on another forum. It turned out to be how to get a free full version of UT GOTYE and not how to turn up UTDEMEO as I had suspected. I had just forgot to post my findings.

Let's be clear Nameless. You installed the demo and then just the plain UT 436 patch and it connects to all servers and not just the demo ones?
~Peace~

Hermskii