What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

New stuff is going on at 333Networks!

Post by Hermskii » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:33 pm

New stuff is happening here. Check it out:

New!

Woohoo! 333networks is now on Twitter! Follow us on @Darkelarious now! We are also on facebook! Join us on facebook.com/groups/333networks!

Beta website

While the beta site of 333networks.com looks pretty much finished, the red banner on the bottom/left probably gave it away already. What is different on that part of the site?
•New scripts: tabs, filters, more options, more user-interaction
•Coding: the source code of the site is being improved continuously.
•Functions: slowly, new functions are added. To find out what functions we're talking about, visit this post on our forum.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Re: New stuff is going on at 333Networks!

Post by Hook » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Man, how did I miss all of this??? :shock:
Great News and stuff! :P

OK - is the forum up? (sounds like it eh?) :wink:
Can I go there tonight?
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:50 pm

The forum is still a no go to the best of my knowledge.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Can anyone explain what is happening here ???

http://forums.ut-files.com/goodbye-all-t1776.html

Darkelarious
Location: Phobos Moon Station, somewhere between Deimos and Mars.

Post by Darkelarious » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:09 pm

Nelsona wrote:Can anyone explain what is happening here ???

http://forums.ut-files.com/goodbye-all-t1776.html
There's a long history of him. Not him vs 333networks or him vs me, but just him. See http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/333n ... t1325.html for more of the same.

In case you were wondering about my credibility, just take a look on http://333networks.com and make up your own mind. I would love to refer you to some of Vastvet's work, but I am yet to find anything.

I hope to have cleared up the confusion.

//D.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Ok, I just asked. Last time happened all kind of events. Comunities stopped, new networks and discutions, ACTA not loved by all people, Anonymous "works". Even I heared about some "feign death" but this time was not in UT, was in real life... UTP discutions, hm, all these just deliver headaches to me.

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:56 pm

Yeah, Dark, I just put a "CAP" on it at UT-Files. :roll:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Darkelarious

Post by Darkelarious » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:47 am

Hook wrote:Yeah, Dark, I just put a "CAP" on it at UT-Files. :roll:
Yes, I saw it. Thank you for your kind words.

Darkelarious

Post by Darkelarious » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:40 am

Since the "New stuff is going on at 333networks" topic exists anyway, might as well not let it go to waste.

Let's do a little timeline, some additional details on past events, and current development. It's not a complete timeline, but it's a nice overview of some of the major events.

Both the Source Clan and the ~333~ clan were in existence for a while already; 333 more about servers and hosting, (sou) more about having fun ingame. Both different sites, both different content, all for UTdemo.

With the years, we got better in scripting, programming, websites, servers, etc. We saw many clans rise and fall, servers appear and disappear, and naturally we had to make decisions with who to work together and who not. In most cases that went well, but inevitably, there were some people we could not work with, for one reason or another. Around that time, Ben, our USA comrade, moved to another location, being unable to host the site any longer. For a while, the site, forums, UTdemo servers and our newly started MasterServer went offline for almost a year and a half.

Ben managed to set up a server in an old aquarium. Don't worry, we have hosted on more funky stuff. It wasn't pretty, but hey, it worked! In December 2010, the world saw the first digital protests, where DDoS-attacks were used against banks to revenge Wikileaks and Assange.

2011 / 2012
At the same time, due to circumstances, I stayed at my elderly home for three months. Since I was completely out of the running, I decided to set up an entirely new version of the MasterServer and the website, which you all now know as the current 333networks. We had some offline time in the summer holidays, but that was only because I pulled the plug while I was on my tour through the eastern USA (Blue Ridge pkwy). As I understand, I may have actually met some of you unknowingly. Because of the success with the new site and server, I got some help from former admins and friends: Josh allowed me to use his server as a 333networks mirror, other UTdemo admins hosting our retired server's configurations, link partners, etc.

Unfortunately, Josh was in the same position as us: in time he made friends, but also encountered people he didn't like. On November 27th 2011, the FBI took all Josh's electronics, including his phone and the server hosting 333network's backups and mirrors. No digital content was lost to us, but we lost a high-speed USA server. The details have been vague for a long time, but I think that the information we have so far may shed a light on some of the questions:
  • Vastvet (see earlier posts) may have been a tremendous pain in the proverbial backside. However, he does not have the friends (if any) or methods to achieve such an impact. He merely bluffed his way into the raid, but when we addressed that, he ran with his tail between his legs. While there are tons of other flaws in his character that justify it not to like him, I feel compelled to clarify that he was not the brain (if any) behind the raid.
  • The same goes for GoPostal. As I understand he goes way back, has some nasty character flaws as well, has technical knowledge and maybe the network, but it is unlikely that he could engineer sufficient amounts of evidence that the FBI would get involved. Besides, we all know that the FBI is very thorough in their investigations and never make mistakes.
  • There are some other people that may or may not have been involved. There is "LuN4R", who regularly visited 333networks' IRC channel in the WikiLeaks season, pointing trails to our irc channel: though we had no affiliation with Anonymous or the attacks, we did enjoy listening their Radio Payback podcast, they had all kinds of new/upcoming artists not associated with the MAFIAA. That may actually be a serious lead towards 333networks: we didn't conform ourselves to "only pay for expensive bullshit music". Apart from that, we do not know if any of our users/members is/was affiliated with Anonymous, neither would we want to know. We are not responsible for the acts of others, neither should we be held responsible for that.
Though I can not predict the future, I predict that there may be moments that 333networks will be offline for a few days. Our server has gone without maintenance for a while:

Code: Select all

Last login: Sat Feb 25 17:50:59 2012 from 333networks.lan
[darkelarious@333nw-server ~]$ uptime
 15:20:14 up 196 days, 22:13,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Wait, no. That is actually the uptime. I rebooted the server last summer. Last maintenance of the server was on January 3rd 2009.

I think I put up a nice story with a lot of clarification. Though this sounds like we made a lot of enemies, I would also like to credit a lot of our friends. There are Felipe and Sync, our Latin-American UTS friends, there are Viper, RaBBiT and their DLD clan, there are our German friends from the SDS clan, our special lady in Italy, host of one of the --still-- most popular UTdemo servers, Fiorella, and last but definitely not least the House of Hermskii and Hook's pirate crew!

I would like to use this thread to thank all of you just for enjoying what you all do: to play, to be, and to have fun! As long as we all have this attitude, UT (demo) and 333networks will be a great place to be! And as long as we all have this attitude, we can solve almost any UT-related problem, like people phishing the masterserver website.

Thank you!

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Good post. Thanks for all of the info. I did not know much of it until I read it just now. I just got arounf to registering my servers at your website. I thought I had already done it a long time ago!

Are the current posted directions correct for using the master server list and advertisng there too?
~Peace~

Hermskii

Darkelarious

Post by Darkelarious » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:00 am

Hermskii wrote:Are the current posted directions correct for using the master server list and advertisng there too?
Should be.

Regarding servers shown on site, I am working on the database lately, trying to find an efficient script to skip unresponsive or slow servers. This isn't going as well as I would like to admit, some servers may not show on site.

If any of your servers doesn't show up, just add them with the add new server button in the 333networks menu.

Darkelarious

Post by Darkelarious » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:28 pm

Update Today:

A while ago I did some bugfixes and database cleaning, we all had our fun ( lol ) with some downtime and panic. No worriez, it was all calculated and played out just fine. The query time went down from 2000 seconds to 200 seconds per cycle ( = all servers in db), ~600 servers at the moment, and adding new servers doesn't give time-outs or error 500'ds any more. Though it may happen once in a while, most problems are solved for the moment.

That leaves us with an unfinished search function, virtually no selection tools and an outdated, inefficient database system. This week I'm receiving some newer server hardware, which will host --with the necessary tweaking-- all 333networks' stuff. Lot of things to do in so little time.

So there is a pretty big chance that I may just pull 333networks offline for a week or so, for the sake of getting it up and running significantly more efficient than before. There's also the possibility of me royally screwing up and needing way more time. I guess I'll just keep everybody posted until that moment.

Cheerio!

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:18 pm

Great!

Great???

Hmmm...
~Peace~

Hermskii

Darkelarious

Post by Darkelarious » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:00 pm

Hermskii, you don't sound too confident in my abilities >_>

Perhaps some candy instead? --> http://ubrowser.333networks.com

Darkelarious

Post by Darkelarious » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:17 am

You may all have noticed that the earlier announced downtime of 333networks never happened. I'm not sure if I should apologise or be proud about that. The good thing is that 333networks didn't go down, the bad news is that I never got to the hardware/software maintenance.

Hardware
I took over one of Yorhel's servers, Serio. Since nobody cared to do a donation in the past few years, I was forced to get second-hand material. :evil:

But now serious again, I didn't upgrade the hardware and software yet. For those familiar with Arch Linux, not updating for a while ( = 3 years) probably means that as long as it's running, it will run fine, but when I try to upgrade or reboot it, the configuration will hopelessly get stuck somewhere mid-boot. So: problem.

333networks is running on a home connection in somebody's basement (thank, mom!). That also means that jet-engine sound-a-like Serio will probably not be fired up until I got around to tuning down the fan speeds and cooling system. Until then, I am working on the 333networks Version 3 Beta on an old AMD Duron 1100 MHz and my netbook.

What, a beta V3?!
Yes, in secrecy Master_Chief and I have been working on- and testing parts of a new website. Lots of things on the To Do list got some serious attention. Server query time went down to less than two-and-a-half minute, old "outdated" servers are checked every once in a while in case they come back online, and the website itself is getting a big overhaul as well.

There are plenty of new functions that aren't on the list, there are plenty of tiny upgrades that make browsing UT servers more efficient and enjoyable, but the most important thing is that there is a lot of new cool stuff being added as we speak.

The beta is still running on my netbook, so it's only accessible when I am working on it (the webserver is disabled when I'm at work, fyi). As soon as I think that the beta version is working good enough, I will move it to a (24/7) dedicated server for further improving and testing. I will definitely keep ya'all posted!