Hacked

Post all House of Hermskii {HOH} Website and Forum related content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Hacked

Post by Hermskii » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:35 am

I have completed my investigation. The attack on the forum was done from a person in Houston and not a member of this forum. Several logs show nothing was ever done here. The IP address of the offender was in the logs for the exact post that caught my attention and alerted me something was wrong. The IP address was my own. Yes, it was spoofed.

The short of it is this:

I won a lesson by losing a long forgotten bet or you could say I lost a bet and learned a lesson.

I have since remodified my security here on the forum to avoid things like this that I had bet could not happen to me. Good lesson learned. No matter how good you think you are, there is always someone way better! Peace!

For the record everyone, no matter how hacked the forum gets in the future I have a real time backup that even a hacker can't hurt to the best of my knowledge. I can restore the whole forum anytime I need to.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Fuzz_Ball

Re: Hacked

Post by Fuzz_Ball » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:40 am

Hey Herm, welcome back!
Sorry to see this whole thing happened.
Peace to you too.
Now, let the flame wars and petty whining commence! :lol: :lol: :lol:
_ Image * * Image

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:43 am

Good work you got it back. :D
It really was bored without checking the forums as I usually do.

David

Post by David » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:41 am

I am glad your are back up and running. Good job Herm.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:43 am

Oh yeah - I was going to call you and ask if this was all a spoof! :lol:
I just smelled it! :wink: (thought so)
I don't know why but I just had a feeling YOU did it Hermskii. :P
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Fuzz_Ball wrote:Now, let the flame wars and petty whining commence! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Schooooooooooooolllllsssszz back...IN...SESSION, da dannana de dumdee da deeeeeee..."

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:32 pm

Um...ok.

So this was all a big "joke"?....Herm I stopped my Sunday plans and called you straight up concerned, trying to help you, and you didn't tell me, or at least let me know something? Worse, you let discussion become very pointed my way as a culprit? (read your server logs, or I can send you a few choice PM's and emails I've gotten)

Pretty damned uncool bro. Very uncool, as a matter of fact. I'd have never expected that from you. Thank you for that.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:55 pm

No Gopo. This was real. Hook was joking in that he said he knew it was me which in a way it was being it was my IP that was spoofed thus it looked to me at first like it was done from my PC which in a way it was according to the logs. You know me better than that GOPO. I don't like to play around with this sort of stuff at all.
~Peace~

Hermskii

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:55 pm

Glad to see you and your forum are back Herm.
Hook is such a prankster. :P
Plain Old Telephone Service

Prowner

Post by Prowner » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:55 pm

Do you know who was behind it though? Like an enemy or someone that dislikes you?
If he was a UT player, Reiy Hell and I were starting to think of punishments for him! :twisted:
I will either save you or kill you, convince me otherwise.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:22 pm

It was a good friend actually. No big deal. He taught me a lesson.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Prowner

Post by Prowner » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:30 am

Well hopefully if you didn't find out in a few weeks, hopefully he would have told you by then instead of letting it go further into months. But it's all good now, you're prepared for any other attack that won't happen and we're back in business! :D 8)
I will either save you or kill you, convince me otherwise.

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:15 am

Hermskii wrote:It was a good friend actually. No big deal. He taught me a lesson.
You really know who you friends are when they start to JACK with your stuff.

They say payback can be a biatch ...?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:27 am

He actually is a member here. One of the ones that hardly ever posted. I may have nuked his account a while back due to inactivity. I can't recall and am too lazy to look him up. We had a bet a few years back that he could or could not hack me. I left him unattended on my PC a few weeks back. He stole my password with a key-logger he installed and told my antivirus to ignore it. He got my password for my forum and for my mac address edit list for wireless security. He then drove up next to my house and logged in from his laptop outside. He went into the forum and made posts as me on New Years Eve. He changed a few settings on the forum as well. Nothing damaging. Just stuff to make sure I realized something was up. He expected me to call him right away telling him what happened because he is better at this stuff than me and I would have called him for help he thought. He said he was going to call me after a few days but got called out of town for work and forgot. I figured out all of it except the key logger he installed. I never detected it. He was impressed that I widdled it down to him and how he did it. I just never expected him to still be trying to do this after all of this time but I do have a similar bet with my older brother to hack him and now I have a few ideas of how to do it. Without direct access to my PC, my buddy never would have gotten in but he did show me other security issues where I was available to be far more seriously hacked do to my weak wireless security practices. They are stronger now. Note to you: Don't use wireless range expanders! You can't secure them!
~Peace~

Hermskii

(MHM)Grim_Reaper

Post by (MHM)Grim_Reaper » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:50 pm

I am happy to learn that the investigation showed that the situation was relatively benign. Was your friend just walking around with key-logger software for the heck of it a couple years back? Who does that sort of stuff? I hate changing passwords too; makes my life really confusing. I am all for those CAC cards and biometrics.
I'm in town with a few days to kill.

Grim