{HOH} Website and Forum Change Log

Post all House of Hermskii {HOH} Website and Forum related content here!
David
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: {HOH} Website and Forum Change Log

Post by David » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:23 pm

I had one notification on a different topic, for "I am becoming a Luddite" at "House of Hermskii {HOH}". But I only received that one notification, and I know there are other posts that I have subscribed to, including this one, that has new comments and I did not receive any of those notifications.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Helen
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Re: Test 1

Post by Helen » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Hermskii wrote:Test 1
I did receive the notification for this one, plus one other that had a comment added at a later time than this one did. And I believe that I have no other subscriptions that received a comment since "2:56pm" today. So I would say that since "2:56pm", I am two for two with notifications. Seems good here, but David may still have an issue.
one of the Scriveners. You can visit us at www.birdieman.com/forum

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:58 am

Thanks folks for your patience. To be honest, I did not expect to get it working this much. Let's keep testing too. I have subscribed to this topic but when I got home last night we went our to a pizza buffet. I came home and was beat so I bathed the kids, put them to bed, took a shower and I went to bed. I never touched my PC.
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:21 pm

I got three notifications today when I got home from work..So that is good. Good job Herm. :wink:
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:02 pm

Today, I had a discussion with mars007 and he and I agree that beyond his own efforts and success to grow his server's recognition that it may help to have a section of this forum for his needs so it has been done. Welcome to the show mars007!

viewforum.php?f=27
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:02 pm

I updated this forum to the latest greatest version of itself. I just noticed that we have a full time Bing Bot logged in now. That came with the upgrade. Hmmm? I don't know if I like that. I may brute it out of here.

A new theme may be on the way. A few new sections will be added soon to reflect more like minded servers and forums.

Something real sweet may be happening tomorrow. Let's wait and see. It will be way bigger than my efforts or this place and I'm glad to be a part of it.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:06 am

I was finally able to update my website with all of the new IP info. That fixed the broken links and made it possible for people to contact me again too from the website. My IE9 was getting hung while I was editing. Sit down. Ready? I installed Chrome and tried again and all went well. Yep, I said it.

This is the first and only thing I know of that Chrome did better for me than IE9. It may have opened my eyes a little in fact. I mean...you know me. If it is broken and I mean totally broken...my chances of making a change are pretty slim. It is one of those funny things about me that many consider a huge fault in my personality. They are likely right too.

Anyways, it has been a big deal to me to not be able to edit my website. Now I can and I have plenty to add and change!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Sir Mandrake

Post by Sir Mandrake » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:19 am

Looking at your main site code, you are running some java script for your menus and its very heavy on table rows and cells. Try viewing your site with IE9 in compatibility mode and see if that works.

You may need to upgrade your main page using a newer editor such as Dreamweaver and use CSS. IE9 works better with the newer HTML markups and CSS, maybe a bit of flash thrown in :wink:

Also and this is just a suggestion.. using a form for your contact Herm page will eliminate you having to use mailto:herm@hermskii.com email... mailto is nice and simple but it exposes your email for harvesting and thus you get spam.. i suspect it may be too late as you prob get tons of spam by now. But to reduce spam or prevent it altogether for new clients I use a form mailer for contacting the business or site owner.

There now I created more work for ya lol :P
--- END OF LINE ---

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:35 am

I will keep all of that in mind for sure. The whole thing is getting reworked. Amazingly I guess, I do not get much spam at all. Thanks!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Feralidragon

Post by Feralidragon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:56 am

Sir Mandrake wrote: maybe a bit of flash thrown in :wink:
Nooooooooo!

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:30 pm

Ferali - do you know much about html5?
What's new with it? :D
Maybe start a new thread about it?
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Feralidragon

Post by Feralidragon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:20 am

I only used a tiny bit of html5 so far, so I am not exactly any expert on it.

But I have seen the demos, features and etc, and it does a great variety of things which so far were only possible with flash.

For example: an upload progress bar. So far you needed flash to do it, since you had no way to know the byte streaming during the upload with the "old" technology. With html5, it already offers a great file manipulation and streaming info in real time.

Picasa from google uses/used flash for drag and drop files, with html5 you have that without needing flash.
You can stream video and have 3D applications (WebGL) directly with html5, something so far only possible with flash.

Flash sucks as a web platform, you need a specific plugin to run it, it's bad of SEO (search engine optimization) and it's Adobe proprietary software, which means only they have the tools to work with it and they are too expensive, while html5 already comes natively in the recent browsers (no plugins needed), you can do anything on it with free html/js/css editing software (like eclipse, which is what I use), and it's by far much lighter than the abortion which flash is.

You can all see a complete demo here:
http://slides.html5rocks.com/#landing-slide

Some years ago such site would only be possible using flash, but not anymore, like I said above. HTML5 FTW!!!

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:34 am

As I was reading that I kept thinking he keeps saying that it was only possible with flash at this time over and over. I was thinking why not just keep using flash? Then I read that last paragraph. It explained it well.

I'm not a web person at all but I do know to now ask then what is it that flash is still the only one that can do it? if there is a free and better program out there Flash should die on the vine. Why won't it?
~Peace~

Hermskii

Sir Mandrake

Post by Sir Mandrake » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:54 am

True HTML5 is the up and coming, but I didnt mean for Herm to re-Design his whole site with flash lol. I was suggesting using flash to show a button and allow someone to email him without exposing any email address- there are websites that generate free ones. That alone wont screw up search engines. Flash is inconvenient in the fact that you need a plugin and thats where HTML5 shines.

Right now HTML5 has a way to go. People still use IE 7, 8 and older stuff and that HTML5 demo only works with IE9, Firefox, Chrome... Flash wont Die until more people embrace the newer Browsers of today. As for people who dont have coding skills, there needs to be a development platform for HTML5. Much like SWISHmax lets you develope flash sites with Flash. HTML5 will get there though and Im definitely excited!
--- END OF LINE ---

Feralidragon

Post by Feralidragon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:02 am

@Sir Mandrake: I know you didn't mean "the whole site in flash", but you didn't specify what so I had to throw my input on it lol
Although in that point yes, that's a good solution to hide the email.
About browsers before IE9, in the same demo site: http://slides.html5rocks.com/#chrome-frame
So that shouldn't be a problem anymore either, although who uses those browsers won't most likely install that plugin :\

@Hermskii: It's like the IE browser. Browsers like Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari are around for a long long time and very spread (for instance I use both Firefox and Chrome), however although <IE9 versions were always (pardon my english) a piece of sh*t, and there was always tons of things that didn't work on them at all and they were slow as f*ck, people still use them, it's just too spread around and the pc-newbies (I hope no one gets offended) use it because that's what comes by default on windows, and they aren't even aware on the alternatives.

The same way, Flash won't die that quickly since many developers learned it and won't care about html5 since they would take some of their time to learn, and devs can be very stubborn in learning new better tech.
So flash will still be present as web for some more time until devs see how obsolete flash is and how troublesome it is.

As a global platform, there are many things still built in flash, and is "cheaper" to keep them than redo them in html5, plus generally all "web games" are flash based (not long ago Epic announced that flash would start to support UEngine3), and will keep that way since html5 is not good for most of those games at all.

In resume: html5 will certainly take over within a few years for most things web-based (advertising, file management, some applications), as for other things such as games and animated/interactive movies, flash will still be around for a long long time since they provide more advanced features in that sense.

Html5 just provides us the web features we need to build some stuff in pages, that were only possible with flash so far, plus html5 is native in the browser and SEO friendly (besides being able to use it with any text editor, with flash you must have one of their own paid software, that's why they're rich bastards lol).