{HOH} Website and Forum Change Log

Post all House of Hermskii {HOH} Website and Forum related content here!
Sir Mandrake
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: {HOH} Website and Forum Change Log

Post by Sir Mandrake » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:08 pm

I played that slide demo in IE9.. it played bad.. Microsoft needs to work on IE9 more. i was surprised. I mean the site worked but it didnt play NEAR as smooth as it did in Firefox. There were even some pages missing in IE9 that I saw in Firefox. Goes to show you just how cutting edge Firefox and the other actively updated browsers are over IE9.
--- END OF LINE ---

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Here's my 2 cent:

- please do NOT use Flash; I know it's widespread and all, but it sucks so hard you are not able to view Flash content on Apple devices, since Steve Jobs didn't want neither Flash nor Java on his products, back to the time.
I guess, among the other reasons, it was cause Flash got high hardware requirements to run smoothly.
To sum it up, you're not able to view webpages using Flash content on your iPhone/iPad, while they do fully support HTML5 (they've probably been the first doing so);

- I agree with the fact that older versions of Internet Explorer are crap, but keep in mind many users still have WinXP as their OS, and it does not support IE9, so they can't upgrade unless they either change their OS or start using a brand new browser such as Firefox or Chrome;

- Some games might work with HTML5, and here's a proof:
http://www.cuttherope.ie/

This game has been entirely written using HTML5, you can even play it in IE9 with no need for installing the damn Flash ActiveX plug-in.

- About that slide-show, it seems to be rendered faster with IE9 compared to Firefox10 (I'm also using the AdBlock Plus extension, for what is worth), but each slide seems not centered/aligned properly when using IE9, plus IE does not support WebGL I think, so the animations are missing.
At least IE9 can finally get a full 100/100 on the Acid3 test (about time lol, even Safari Mobile could get it):
http://acid3.acidtests.org/

Gonna check the Javascript engine performance hmm:
http://www.webkit.org/perf/sunspider/sunspider.html

P.S. What's a good mobile browser? :o
Plain Old Telephone Service

Sir Mandrake

Post by Sir Mandrake » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Opera? =P

Also remember too folks that flash made it possible for easy to make cool interactive websites, rich in media content... it sucks now yes cause there is better technology. Give it credit where credit is due...macromedia was way ahead of its time.

Dont blame Flash for Apple not wanting to support it.. just like dont blame Java for Micro$oft not wanting to support it...
--- END OF LINE ---

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Post by Hermskii » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:23 pm

This was only the second time where I used a browser for something I needed to do and had it do it better than IE9. I think IE10 is about to come out to so maybe several more of these items will now become available with IE that it doesn't have now. FireFox saved me once and now Chrome has saved me once.

In the work place, I am constantly remoting into our labs and to our sales people's computers to help them with issues and very often the problem is they are trying to do stuff on our network remotely via Citrix and their browser can't do it. I switch them back to IE and it works fine.

Each browser is the best at something. I think IE is the best at most of it for what I use it for. Thanks for all of the info but I'll still stick with IE for now.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:20 pm

The Administrator email address for this forum changed. Make sure you set Hermskii@att.net to be accepted mail or you mayhave to locate the replies from this forum in your blocked email foilder.

Thanks to the person who pointed this out as a potential reason for not getting reply notifications from "subscribed to" topics.
~Peace~

Hermskii

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Sir Mandrake wrote:Opera? =P
Only if they add some sort of User Agent switcher at least. :P
I know Opera used to rule with those slow GSM-based phone lines, but now with Wi-Fi data compression and stuff like that is no longer a priority.
Sadly, Firefox won't develop a mobile version of its browser for iOS due to some issues with Apple and their insanely-strict policy (sigh).
Sir Mandrake wrote: Also remember too folks that flash made it possible for easy to make cool interactive websites, rich in media content...
[...]
Dont blame Flash for Apple not wanting to support it.. just like dont blame Java for Micro$oft not wanting to support it...
And Flash also made it possible to spread plenty of cool 10-MB-ads-and-banners popping everywhere and slowing your net-surfing experience down a lot, not to mention the countless exploits and junks probably second only to those plaguing all Windoze OS's :twisted:
Plain Old Telephone Service

Sir Mandrake

Post by Sir Mandrake » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Ohh wait wait.. Dont blame flash for doing the dirty work of Spammers and hackers... :lol:

ugh oh.. I think we transformed Herms Log thread into dont blame flash thread... ahhh!
--- END OF LINE ---

Sir Mandrake

Post by Sir Mandrake » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:54 pm

Hermskii wrote: In the work place, I am constantly remoting into our labs and to our sales people's computers to help them with issues and very often the problem is they are trying to do stuff on our network remotely via Citrix and their browser can't do it. I switch them back to IE and it works fine.

Each browser is the best at something. I think IE is the best at most of it for what I use it for. Thanks for all of the info but I'll still stick with IE for now.
\

A lot of times a specific app or task is developed with a specific browser in mind. IE is already included with windows, so many developers will focus on it so customers dont have to upgrade. So naturally remote access software, (Citrix, Logmein gotomypc) works best with IE because everyone has it, but theres always a Firefox plugin nearby lol
--- END OF LINE ---

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:40 pm

I keep forgetting I have these change logs to post into. While the servers are staying put, everything else is moving. That means the website, this forum and all of the server's redirect files are moving too. I expect to have at least some sort of down time but I hope to keep it as short as possible.

I expect to do this or I should say finish doing this by Sunday night.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:53 am

Ha!

While I have done tons, I have not ever moved the entire forum over to a new spot though I have paid for the new area already and still have it just sitting there. I will get to it when I can I guess. Anyways, I need to mention I recently added 3 new sections. Nelsona, EvilGrins and Dr.Flay all have their own sections now. Check them out.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:56 am

Also I just upgraded the forum to the latest, greatest and most secure version of this PHPBB software offered. I was way behind on this and am glad I finally did it. Now I'm considering a new update skin for this place. i love what I have so I'm really just trying to find something that works with PHPBB 3.12 that looks just like this but offers more features. Feel free to send suggestions and as always please forgive me if I don't act of them. Sometimes I do but usually I don't. I'm just being honest here!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:56 pm

I really like how HOOKS forum lists everyone who has been there in the last 24 hours. I tried to get mine to do it but I guess PHPBB just can't I have searched hard for a mod and everything and did find a really old one that was popular but it doesn't list as being compatible with my latest version of the forum and I'm not going to mess the forum up.

Someone mentioned to me they aren't getting the email saying a post has been made to a topic they are attached to. Forgot the term. Anyone else not getting emails saying changes have been made to a topic you were "SUBSCRIBED" to?
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Hermskii wrote:I really like how HOOKS forum lists everyone who has been there in the last 24 hours. I tried to get mine to do it but I guess PHPBB just can't I have searched hard for a mod and everything and did find a really old one that was popular but it doesn't list as being compatible with my latest version of the forum and I'm not going to mess the forum up.

Someone mentioned to me they aren't getting the email saying a post has been made to a topic they are attached to. Forgot the term. Anyone else not getting emails saying changes have been made to a topic you were "SUBSCRIBED" to?
That mod is called "Activity Stats" <-(displays members active over the past 24 hours)

Also, I figured out how to get into your forum from work now :)
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:40 pm

I added a *EDIT* to the first post in Dr.Flay's section explaining i just realized HOOK already has a section much like the one here I made for Dr.Flay with the difference being his is focused on the issues of new UT stuff and setups etc and mine is focused on what Dr.flay thinks needs to be posted about certain subjects and that I wanted to have a place herewith all of his stuff so people can find it all in one place being here if needed in the event all of the other places where he has posted tons of cool stuff shut down. Whew! It can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3573
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:33 pm

After a few years of paying for 2 web-host companies I am finally movie everything here to a single web-hosting company. I feel the new hosting company will meet my needs much better and provide a better service for everyone as far as all of the high-speed downloads I do for multiple other UT servers through the UT community.

So if this site falls off for a few days do not panic!
~Peace~

Hermskii