HOH servers are about to move...

Post all House of Hermskii {HOH} Website and Forum related content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

HOH servers are about to move...

Post by Hermskii » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:00 pm

I have been running all of the servers from one box this whole time pretty much. The one box has changed over the years from one type of a desktop to another with each being better than the last.

Currently they all reside on a clone with an intel Pentium IV 2.6mhz 800fsb mobo. Nothing awesome but way more than ever really needed. Well I'm going to do something different this time. I'm going to move the servers over to a old little laptop. The goal is power conservation, reduction in noise pollution and to free up a decent desktop for my other little son who discovered monster hunt this weekend. At least it won't be on all of the time anymore.

So there you have it. Expect a few issues but overall I've done this several times before. I'm sure it will all be fine eventually. This is the second to the last major change I expect to make in the near future. I still also need to move my website and forum and all of this stuff over to another provider. After that, I'll be done for a while except for server upgrades with new maps and mods and actual cool stuff. Yeah, I have some plans. Peace out all!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Re: HOH servers are about to move...

Post by Hook » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:54 am

Won't that Laptop get hot?
Or are you going to elevate it off the surface?

Oh, and it is about time with some new ideas! AMEN!!! :)
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:24 am

It is an old laptop. It's a Dell Latitude C640 with a 2000mhz processor. I need to get it a bigger hdd before I can move everything to it. it does get hot under neath and yes I will elevate ita inch or so off the resting surface. It will still produce far less heat and consume less electricity and take up far less space than the current full-size desktop home the servers currently enjoy. This just makes sense to me to go this route. I have been meaning to get around to doing this for years. the time is finally here!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:00 am

Laptops, especially older ones, were not designed to be 'always on' in a serving capacity. You'll be much happier in the long run by getting a surplus box and using that. I bought two from my son's tech class for almost nothing ($20 I think it was) and only spent money on adding a couple of RAM chips. You need very little horsepower so it's not going to generate a lot of heat in a tower if you use on-board graphics so use only the CPU fan and the external case fan to deal with the noise and power issues.

You can spend a little time googling it but using an older lappie like you are proposing will burn it up.
When everyone you ever known is headed for a headstone
I don’t wanna give the end away but we’re gonna die one day

Dragon

Post by Dragon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:40 pm

That's why I stick with desktops
Don't heat up much as a laptop
and you can leave it run.
NEW==> http://www.thereddragonsite.com

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:48 am

Hmm. Things to bare in mind if you want to use a laptop.
(I can copy most of this from my tweaks page)

1st. You will need to change the way Windows handles caching.
This never gets mentioned, but during Windows installation when you choose what type of setup you want, it sets-up the disk and RAM caches for that purpose.
You can change the intended purpose of your installed Windows with Cacheman.

:arrow: Cacheman - You can use it for free, but the auto-optimise is disabled. It will give you a dynamic drive caching system. Access to many windows registry options. and (my personal holy grail) sticky "task priority" settings. The context sensitive help file in this prog will teach you more windows info than you will believe!
http://www.outertech.com

Monitoring and taking control of the motherboard
Both of these can display and log temperatures.
Speedfan has a DELL notebook option you have to enable.

:arrow: Speedfan - This totally free tool allows you to change your fan and bus speed via software (If you get it wrong, just reboot and everything is back to normal) in increments of 1 MHz! You set your own "High speed" and a "normal/low speed".
This does not seem to upset UT the same way as hardware based variable processor speed changes.
You can define warning sounds, messages and emails, based on various criteria.
http://www.almico.com

:arrow: Notebook Hardware Control (NHC)
Take complete control of your laptop/notebook.
Ideal if you lack the original OEM control software after a re-install, or just want something more flexible.
You can for example disable all the CPU speeds you don't want, and lock it to a single speed.
http://www.pbus-167.com

I looked up the spec. (I hope it has more than 256 MB RAM) and it seems to be kitted with an ATI.

:arrow: If you have a laptop, or a card that you cannot install new generic drivers from ATI (only the manufactures old installers work).
Then you need the "Mobility Modder" utility.
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php

To be honest, I'm surprised the fan still works if it is about 10 years old :shock:
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks all. What is a surplus box Kelly? You just mean and old extra desktop or is this an actual gizmo. I'm shocked this old laptop still runs too to be honest. I will have to reconsider and not only based on what has been said here. the HDD is tiny. I need a new one that is at least 60gb to fit all of them and an XP OS on it. Bummer.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:28 am

You'd be hard pushed to get a new 2.5 HD that small anyway, so I doubt that will be a problem.

Also don't forget UT runs slower on laptops with LCD screens, so you will benefit from pluging in an old CRT.

And yeah I believe Kelly meant a spare/retired PC.
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:16 am

You forgot some words related to forum purpose ?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks Doc. It is OK that I call you right? I never did move the servers off the main box to anything else and have decided against going to a laptop based on everything said here. I also just found out the other website that I bought last year auto charged me and is still mine for another year so I may move my stuff over to it after all as far as all of this forum and webpages and such. I thought I had missed the chance and didn't know how to do it properly anyways. I'll end up hiring a company to do it for me.
~Peace~

Hermskii