Unimatrix01 Hardware Pictures

Sir Mandrake
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Unimatrix01 Hardware Pictures

Post by Sir Mandrake » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:38 am

See the Hardware behind my Monsterhunt server!
This runs both my MonsterHunt and Battle Server under Linux
Its not sitting in a Datacenter like most rented servers are but this works.
Approaching One Year uptime on the server Hardware itself.
If anyone is running their own hardware, Post your pics!

--- END OF LINE ---

Nelsona
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Re: Unimatrix01 Hardware Pictures

Post by Nelsona » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:26 am

I used these to host UT99 servers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:08 am

You are going to laugh when I send my picture.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Sir Mandrake

Post by Sir Mandrake » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Nelsona... Where is the computer? LoL. Is the it in the upper center area of the picture? Looks like an old HP box.

Hermskii... Laugh huh? Can't be any worse that what me and nelsona just posted lol.
--- END OF LINE ---

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:39 pm

Bingo !!! That's right. You just requested to see servers ? Here it is my baby :D . When I bought it I though at first sight that was a 486 or something, later was a good surprise when I ask the sales-man about it. He added some DDR2 and I visited the bios. No need a great video card because an UT99 server is not rendering and not make noise of course. Anyway that machine need a good Internet to show some power. It has an integrated GB Net card and I added other one for sharing different local things.

For UT and others it run a server and other small servers at 0-3% CPU. I need other one ? I think not. Problem is when wife jumping to some play and I'm connected to a game. I was gone to my parents for fixing a PC. I tested it using UT99 and I played on my home server. Suddenly I noticed small lags. When I called home asking my wife: What are you doing, darling ? -- She answered simple: I'm playing ... Those Lags were nothing comparing them with other powerfull dedicated game-servers, LOL. I love my little baby.
I started playing MH on a server owned by a few dudes using the same type of machine, hosting more things, but was not a Brand :twisted: . Was enough good until that machine was physically damaged... too bad.

Sir Mandrake

Post by Sir Mandrake » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:25 pm

Lol..I knew it. When you work on as many computers as I have over the years you learn to recognize the case styles of the many brands of computers out there. My 2nd guess was going to be compaq...pre-HP acquisition days.

You are correct to say UT running as a server doesn't require much power and just about any old computer can host a game easy. I choose my box because of a few factors. I know it seems like overkill what I have but I was considering these things:
It's a poweredge so Linux loaded up and detected all hardware without problems
I was planning on running 2 games at once- going to push my luck and see if it will run a 3rd game...NW3 LoL
It was a retired server-hate to see nice hardware to go waste, don't you agree?
It's got SATA Raid-oh yeah!

We have have reasons for choosing the hardware we use for our servers, it's neat to hear about it,
--- END OF LINE ---

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:50 am

I'm not ashamed when I tell: An old Brand is like a Ninja in PC-s. Is stable, have more power than the same type assembled in bedroom. I asked sales-man about reset buton. He just looked at me strange (LOL). Dude, what are you saying ? This one need reset ? Why do you think is a plain bad PC as some people have and they are so skilled in installing Windows, LOL ?

For me those ex-servers throwed are a good option, an old game can run smoother handled by such a machine. I'm just sad a bit, I lost information about a PC (was a server somewhere - I didn't had enough money in that time) and anyone else bought it very fast. Sales-man told me: Sorry, look what I had last week (showing me a description). - Yea, grrr could be mine.

Sir Mandrake

Post by Sir Mandrake » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:03 am

Nelsona wrote:I'm not ashamed when I tell: An old Brand is like a Ninja in PC-s. Is stable, have more power than the same type assembled in bedroom. I asked sales-man about reset buton. He just looked at me strange (LOL). Dude, what are you saying ? This one need reset ? Why do you think is a plain bad PC as some people have and they are so skilled in installing Windows, LOL ?

For me those ex-servers throwed are a good option, an old game can run smoother handled by such a machine. I'm just sad a bit, I lost information about a PC (was a server somewhere - I didn't had enough money in that time) and anyone else bought it very fast. Sales-man told me: Sorry, look what I had last week (showing me a description). - Yea, grrr could be mine.
Oh I hate missing out on good deals like that, I feel your frustrations
--- END OF LINE ---

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Oh Gawd - I should show you my old rig that I ran up to 3 servers on a few years back. :lol:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777