Portal Gun

Posts about what EvilGrins has been or is up to!
EvilGrins
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Portal Gun

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:53 am

Spotted this earlier today...
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=194613
...and downloaded it without giving it much thought.

I had one of the previous versions of the Portal Gun, which is a weapon mutator from the game Portals which I've never played. The concept is simple enough, for anyone that's ever read a Doctor Strange comic in the early 1970's or various other comicbook references I could supply.

The one I already had (PortalGunFTW) basically did this:

The one on the left is the 'in' the one on the right is the 'out'. Very fun gun, only lethal in creative telefrags or dropping a portal in somebody else's path and popping the exit way up high in the sky.

That and the portals look really cool!

I don't know what specifically gopostal was referring to in regards to server crashes...other than that. He didn't mention the specifics but ultimately that doesn't much matter. His version looks like this:

Not so cool looking but it works about the same.

Anyway, he wrote it as a .u file without an accompanying .int file, setting it up just for summons as he says in the included ReadMe. I've never written an .int for a .u before but if it's as easy as this was then I may have to do it more often.

Personally, I still prefer the one I had before but then I've never tried it on a server...though I have played with it on somebody or other's MonsterHunt server without any notable issues.

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sir Mandrake

Re: Portal Gun

Post by Sir Mandrake » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:35 pm

I have a map on my server that uses this portal gun. Not Gopos version but the one with the oval portals. Its your basic MH map and after you clear the stages, the portal gun access opens and you can then grab the gun to portal up to the MH end. Kind of disappointing as I was expecting more mandatory uses of the portal gun other than to get up to the MH end. :roll:
--- END OF LINE ---

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: Portal Gun

Post by Hermskii » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:06 pm

Agreed. It can make the game as nearly useless as a grapple gun can. That is why I removed it though it was very-very cool!
~Peace~

Hermskii