DO NOT LET THE MONSTERS GET THE FLAG!

Posts about what EvilGrins has been or is up to!
EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

DO NOT LET THE MONSTERS GET THE FLAG!

Post by EvilGrins » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:38 pm

This has kinda bugged me for a few years; it's not a big thing but it just kinda won't leave my head. I've looked around and haven't found anyone else posting about it anywhere.

I should also mention when I say 'monsters' I mean the actual thing, not models based on them.

In CTF games I have, on occasion, used a mutator to introduce monsters in. Though I don't do this anymore. Back when I either used MonsterSpawn or BadNews or some other random mutator or other. I stopped doing it pretty quick after I noticed a rather bizarre issue that I've never managed to find a way around. Even though they're not motivated to do so, periodically a monster would get the flag...

...and then the flag would go bye bye!

Once a monster gets the flag, it's gone. If you kill them there's no flag. Waiting for the flag to magically reappear doesn't work either, longest I've waited was 20 minutes before I gave up.

It just goes away.

Why it does this I have no idea.

Any ideas? Theories? Paranoid delusions?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: DO NOT LET THE MONSTERS GET THE FLAG!

Post by Hermskii » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:34 pm

Nelsona will answer shortly I bet. I think it is a great mystery type question though. Real good!
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:26 am

Hermskii wrote:Nelsona will answer shortly I bet. I think it is a great mystery type question though. Real good!
Thanks.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:02 am

2 years and some change later and Nelsona never did get around to this post.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:44 am

I think he did address this in one of his own post elsewhere. Maybe he will find it and link to the answer. If I'm wrong maybe this will be his newest challenge to figure out what is happening.
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:07 pm

Hermskii wrote:I think he did address this in one of his own post elsewhere. Maybe he will find it and link to the answer. If I'm wrong maybe this will be his newest challenge to figure out what is happening.
Great, seeya in another 2 years.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Meh, why are you worried ? Usually I'm not very interested in "Off-Topics", is just of- toooopic. But because this problem was already debated at Helen's forum (Idk if have answer or not) this was the second reason to not answer since there is already a coder there who can explain things different.

Return to our Botpack and internal sick stupid content against monsters (I don't want to re-mention Loathsome's efforts and mine for different CTF versions - probably we have no sleep, not because original CTF is a mess speaking about monsters).

Let me gueeeess... you are using (like others) a kinda sucky package named MonsterMadness ? Or some regen timer altering Skaarj ? Let me guess again... you did not read my discussions with Gopo and Loathsome at Ecoop. This dumbness of Epic to set monster bIsPlayer (armed-troopers) made things worst than anyone could ever imagine. Function "Touch" works for sure for such monsters remained in state bIsPlayer because:
1) Default one has no weapon (messed it somehow);
2) Another "coder" who don't have dignity to rework that trash made a package with all monsters bIsPlayer. They can get shields, relics, weapons, ammo ... FLAGS.
Flag Problem
The mostly is very addressing to Bot and TournamentPlayer but is a problem with function(s) killed and/or Logout.
Mr. Player (any) if is killed should drop flag. I did not see anything in CTF controller to trigger a monster carrier to drop flag, so flag will get vanished.
Second case: if Skaarj has flag his replication is somehow bugged and if is killed gets called function "Destroy()" (I love that anyway - it helped me to fix more things) and this destroy seems associated with "logout" and our Trooper is not a real CTF player so again flag is not sent home properly is just sent in heaven at once with carrier.
I have a CTF controller with a few modifications but if a piece-monster will get melted with flag (I did not see this in my games), probably the flag will be lost breaking game. Is possible for future to add a function to end game if any of flags is lost but I simply did not need it. I'M USING only UT Original MONSTERS not other manure.
Last edited by Nelsona on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:51 pm

Spliting things for sharing something (probably less cute). To not mess up with monsters and weapons I slaped another BaseMutator. This thing coming native with Game-Core is adjusting a few problems and... replacing Nothing. Nothing means: if a Skaarj is shows-up with bIsPlayer he simply get weapon (including my other troopers done especially for more tests) and won't be player any more. Some coder will ask how I can do something with those oldies with 0 net code. I set a kinda bug in player's hair meant to scream at weapon to fire when player push his fire buton (any). Weapon will start bow-wow like fired normally. Loathe modified this code after his needs, I modified it as well from a beta crap to something much better - both versions works as expected. So, because my Troopers are armed originally, bug with touching nasty craps goes away. The story is not so short. All functions from Botpack using "PawnList" are reworked to except louses from team or other kinda SetBotOrder, Logout, Rebalance, ChangeName (monster doesn't have a name - is Untitled - Player), RestartPlayer, AddtoTeam, Killed, Scorekill, and so on continuing with PreventDeath attempting to deal with Movers opened by monsters killed later attempts to drop normal weps not invisible craps attempts to put old Amplifier in good state, attempt to decrease frequency for some actors in Net play because I don't see a logic for 100 frequency, and... heck knows how many things are still needed.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:24 am

And there you have it and in less than 2 years! Thanks Nelsona.
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:10 pm

Hermskii wrote:And there you have it and in less than 2 years! Thanks Nelsona.
He's slipping. He used to be faster.
This is what happens when old age creeps in.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:41 pm

EvilGrins wrote:He's slipping. He used to be faster
No, I was ignorant. That topic, (problem was described) I was thinking that is explained already (or solved ?). Also in 2011 I found more topics irelevant for a normal forum and I lost my interest to track them (even some of them were suddenly removed). Now because things turned to normal, or assumed normal, because I still can see UT'99 problems spreaded in "off-topic", I can answer and explain what "I see" in these BotPack cool original "add-ons". I simply prefer to speak about these things and how I was thinking at them (arming troopers, inventories, A.I. and weaponry, etc) but I have doubts to see more people interested because "off-topic" overrided "on-topic" checking posting-rate.