Help?

Posts about what EvilGrins has been or is up to!
EvilGrins
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Help?

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:39 pm

I made this edit as much to test the monster as to have something else to shoot at...

I've attached the map and files that go with.

.unr to /maps
.u to /system
.umx to /music

The Gizmos are an odd lil' beastie. They attack by exploding with toxic gas only effective at close range.

My problem is that when they're finally all dead, the exit doesn't open up. Having this problem with another map too... but thought I'd start with this one.

Anybody got a clue why this map isn't working right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: Help?

Post by Hermskii » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:23 pm

Have you asked Kaal? Also, in Monster Hunt, it isn't about killing all of the monster to get to the end. You have to trigger the end. Often, the end is hidden. Some mods force it to show to the players.
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:23 pm

Hermskii wrote:Have you asked Kaal? Also, in Monster Hunt, it isn't about killing all of the monster to get to the end. You have to trigger the end. Often, the end is hidden. Some mods force it to show to the players.
1) I avoid talking to Kaal as much as possible. He's uber obsessive into promoting stuff and doesn't take no for an answer. I'll spare the details.

2) Yeah, I've noted that periodically on the other edits of this map I've made the exit opens a bit early. However, in this case it doesn't open at all.

3) True. However the general setup of this map is that the last monster killed trigger the exit to open.

I was hoping someone with a bit more experience than I could open it up, either play it or check out its setup and see what's wrong in this case. I suspect it's the monster but I'm not certain.

Similar to the butterflies map, and the Quake Zombies one I made, killing monsters doesn't activate the exit.

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:52 am

It is an invisible mover that opens up in the back, once all creatures have been killed --
A small room will be visible outside the skybox, near the shockrifle. Walk in there.

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:54 am

Here is a screen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:13 pm

Yea, but the mover is opened by a counter. If counter isn't linked any more with factories won't open nothing.

Check this: Number set in counter. The counter's tag must be the same tag for factories ans spawnpoints, or at least for a few factories spawning whatever monsters.

If this counter not receive hits from fatories his event won't open last door. Last door need to have as TAG the same string as counter Event. Also You will use for that door TriggerOpenTimed, I advice you to not use bUseTriggered=True, because bots will grab mover before to end map normally. This bUseTriggered is only for GRAB command.

In my mod I removed mover Grabbing (bots are trained to GRAB movers by Epic).

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:50 pm

He, he, back, I checked what is about. Only a CreatureFactory (Factory number 2) is counted there, but that is not a real problem. The problem is that you still fool with nasty creatures not really used because were messed. Well, when a Gizmo isn't killed by a hunter and is suiciding attacking you won't hit counter. As result, counter will never receive all hits because they are suiciding not killed by human or bot instigator. In this case your map don't have too many chances to work. But, go to your mover very close and tell him in TAB or console: GRAB. Will be opened like in magic, :P.

I think I love those Gizmo-s too because they are good to break maps :D.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:41 pm

Nelsona wrote:I think I love those Gizmo-s too because they are good to break maps :D.
Not to mention they're very cute.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Onto the next problem.

Took the music off this map so as to better hear the zombies moan, most disturbing aspect of all zombie movies. They're also really hard to kill. Most times you knock them dead, they get back up after a few seconds. Only head trauma or a massive amount of physical damage kills them.

Unlike the Gizmos, these Zombies don't kill themselves. so it can't be the same problem Nelsona described for the other map.

So, why isn't the map exit opening here?

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:00 pm

K, let me dig a bit into this one.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Nelsona wrote:K, let me dig a bit into this one.
Yay!

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:42 pm

Yup, I saw. Interesting coding technology. If you kill them with a headshot gibbing them you trigger counter, if not they are self removed without to triger killed function and also without to hit counter.

Tip: Make an easy to test thing by reducing CreatureFactory no. 2 at 20 items and counter at 21 (Factory start spawning with 0 but counter is starting with 1). Other factories can be removed. THis is a faster and easier way to test different pawns.

Change that stupid spam message Hold This Position with message: Only %i to go ...
This is the way to see if counter is working approaching to its Event. If you have an assumed killed monster and counter won't move nothing, bugged classes like these GIzmo-s and so called QuakePawns won't be able to trigger events because they have Destroy implemented which means is not a normal TakeDamage function and also Killed function called. Destroy means removed not deadly triggered.

Anyway I'm impressed how many stupidies are done in UT. My daughter has 2 months and has more logic when is crying (hungry, sleepy, dirty, etc.). These codes are less logic, can break maps if their deaths are triggered or counted.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:32 pm

Nelsona wrote:Change that stupid spam message Hold This Position
My mapping skills are still fairly new and I dunno how to do that. Believe me, I've tried changing it numerous times but he's got it triggered to multiple different points on the map.

I've only made one other map with these Quake monsters, used the qKnights. That map works perfectly fine...once you kill the polite little guys. They bow to you just before they attack you.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:16 am

My mapping skills are still fairly new and I dunno how to do that. Believe me, I've tried changing it numerous times but he's got it triggered to multiple different points on the map.
Of course you can, you need to search the counter and check it.
Img1.JPG
And counter looks like this (is what we want)
Img2.JPG
And here is the interesting section
Img3.JPG
As you see, here is out of logic. Hunt the down ? They are completed, mover is opened you don't need to hunt anything. Personal question: Why are needed 2 ends to end a map ?
A single end placed in middle with a good collision some 80 / 120 I think should be enough. MonsterEnd usually is a bot target, they can be confused if are many MonsterEnds.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:22 am

Nelsona wrote:Personal question: Why are needed 2 ends to end a map ?
A single end placed in middle with a good collision some 80 / 120 I think should be enough. MonsterEnd usually is a bot target, they can be confused if are many MonsterEnds.
Go tell Shrimp, he's the one who started using multiple MHend actors in the first MH maps.
Play maps like MH-Trials and MH-Canyon, you can easily check it out.
Plain Old Telephone Service