StarGate SinglePlayer

Posts about what EvilGrins has been or is up to!
EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

StarGate SinglePlayer

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:38 am

Screenshots from checking out this · http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5451

Kinda played this as I do MonsterHunt, I'm not a big SinglePlayer kinda guy. Used to having at least 1 bot wathcing my back... but not this time.

I've got a SinglePlayer gametype emulator, of sorts, but it didn't see the maps at first. Until I added SP- to the beginning of one filename. After that, turns out once you beat one map it automatically shuffles you off to the next map. Even without renaming them all. Since then, I've been slowly working my way through them.

Given the Stargate theme, I've been using the Goa'uld Staff Weapon mutator very successfully on it.

Only really had 2 problems:
1) Using items: UT isn't configured the same way as Unreal1, can't just hit F2 to use the translator. Also no idea how to use anything I pick up while playing.

2) All messages on these maps are in Czech, which I can't read.

Technically 3 problems: When I found the 1st Stargate, I ran up, dodging enemy fire, just to activate it. In the series anything caught in the splash of the gate gets killed...

...doesn't work like that on these maps, apparently.

There's 40+ maps, I've only gotten to level 7 so far.

Nelsona

Re: StarGate SinglePlayer

Post by Nelsona » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:12 am

These SinglePlayer maps can be more or less playable depending on game-type used. Usually you need Oldskool to have more options. Later, is a need to configure properly all keys, else you won't be able to switch to Flashlight when you need it or other item.
Keys.jpg
I played a few levels, could be interesting to not see similar troubles like in MonsterHunt, eh... not all cube-drawers knows monsters and neither pathing.

Subject Bot - better quit thinking at Bot in this non-team-game, unless you wanna play some DM against it. The only way known by me to play such level with Bots is to use UTCoop which is a team-game and Bot is instructed to follow human by default.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:48 pm

Because of my love of the Stargate series, I was thinking maybe trying to convert some maps to DM after the fact. Though from what I've seen so far I'm not 100% sure how that would work. Most DM maps aren't goal oriented, even the elaborate ones are built big but not with a specific end of places to trigger the next map.

Also that triggering in SP, you reach a point to get moved the next map, might still be there if I can't figure out how to turn it off, which could be a disaster on a DM map. That and the stargates themselves, which are triggers as well, to go to a wormhole map, and then to some other map...

...I'm a little curious if I did make one DM if I went through a wormhole if it would switch the gametype automatically from DM to SP and what that might do if other players were involved.

Might be very cool or make the computer implode...

On the other hand, while i've not a clue how to do this, converting SinglePlayer maps, designed to go from one to the next as you play them, into AS (Assault) presents possibilities for team play.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:03 pm

I think that stargates and MH go together perfectly. It would be real nice to have a MH-Godz type map using these from level to level for example. It would be a great opportunity too to have people in a DM map suddenly find themselves in a MH map.

A long time ago my idea was to have a server listed under DM servers that was called "Learn MonsterHunt" or some kind of name that would indicate entering it would eventually get you onto a MH map. Then when somebody saw it they would wonder and double click to enter. At that point it would high speed download all the MH files that player would ever need to play on MH servers. Then the DM map would begin. It would be a path to a room with a screen like the one in the beginning of MH-Kitarra. They would stand and read. It would tell them what a Pupae was for instance and then spawn one for them to look at. Then spawn another for them to kill and then a few more. this would work just like the default trainer like for DM in UT. After that training room was done they'd walk out the only hall into the next room where they would then learn about Krall for instance. They would do this for every kind of default MH monster ending with a Queen. Finally, they would walk through a stargate type portal and be dropped right into a real MH server (mine) and they would play. They would have already been taught to use teamwork and all of the in the training rooms. Before they stepped through the final portal they would have multiple options of doors for instance as to which kind of MH server they wanted to land in. There would be copious amounts of extra info for them to join certain forums and all of that stuff too.

I have always wanted to set this up and I could certainly design what I think would be the best method for setting this up but I have no building skills and thus I never built it. I never mentioned except to a few select people this idea of mine. I worked towards this with kelly for a brief period but he felt it would not launch in the end so he walked away from it. I've sat on the idea for years. Now it is time for somebody to do it already so I'm posting it with the hope that someone will do as I have described/suggested.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:34 am

As I recall, in MonsterHunt these Travels aren't so relevant On-Line. They works Off-Line fooling admins. Beside this, as I saw in Epic's story for travel - is possible to travel with weapon without ammo. Assuming we can solve some travel problem I still have doubts to see 12 players enjoying a travel to Vortex because some "expert" converted in the past some maps to MH without end, just renaming file.

The way to travel into next level is a custom Trigger (Like in an Andromeda1 to Andromeda2) which is performing a ServerTravel in MH, else I did not see anything to work On-Line. I could solve this problem (with a bit of effort) but those maps aren't ported properly to MH so I'm not bother for trashes.

EG, open map in editor and look for Teleporters any prototype. I don't think they are so many. Look at URL. One of them (or 24 teleporters as I see in other ... one) must have some Unreal... or Vortex... Simple remove those or modify destination to a teleporter from map. If you remove teleporter press "rebuild paths" button, save as (some backup at this moment), next step, go to LevelInfo - remove or modify DefaultGameType value. See if paths are missing here and there, fell free to throw some pathnodes on the ground.
Warning, each path modifications will be followed by "rebuild paths" else playing map altered with a single A.I. pawn will crash game instantly (server or local).

Dragon

Post by Dragon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:54 am

I got Stargate on my CTF server pretty cool
NEW==> http://www.thereddragonsite.com

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Dragon wrote:I got Stargate on my CTF server pretty cool
Oh, there's a buketload of Stargate themed maps for all gametypes... or just maps with Stargates in them. My personal favorite is a 2 base with an asteroid between them, all connected by Stargates.

That'd be CTF-Gateways.

The thing discussed above, at the start of this thread, is a whole other thing due to the fact all of those maps are designed to connect to each other.