Type of Internet Provider

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!

What type of internet provider do you have?

Cable
75%
Dial-up
No votes
DSL
25%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 12

a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Type of Internet Provider

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:35 pm

Interesting charges on your bill there, David. The sales tax is unbelievably low for a Canadian who's gotten used to paying a value added tax on everything for the last 25 years.

Ever since I started complaining about the high prices my ISP charges, I was told that I "had to" give them 30 days notice when I was going to terminate my service with them. I was told "that it had always been this way", and was built into the contract I had with them.

Well it turns out that that ain't so. I called my ISP today and made it clear that I was quitting them, and giving them their 30 days notice. Which meant that my current invoice once paid would be my last payment to them ever. I was handed off to an agent who deals with departing customers, and that's when I learned that I had been lied to repeatedly by the agent who handled my 1 year term renewals. I found out that I could quit at any time, and always could. Moreover, once I got talking to this agent for departing customers, the original deal he offered for me to stay on with them got sweetened twice. The third offer was tempting. But by then I was so annoyed with them I stuck to my guns.

I decided to go with my original plan and pay them for one last month before I quit them. So I'll be offline for an indefinite period starting October 15th.

I will use the money saved each month to buy a new PC. Probably. Maybe. Eventually. I guess.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Post by Hermskii » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:12 pm

I'm about to freak out on my AT&T U-VERSE folks. I pay way too much for what I get. I'm going back to comcast. That means the server IP addresses will change again. I don't know when but I'm doing this soon. I need to use that open DNS or whatever it is that ports my server's ip address to their names so I won't need a static IP. Yeah, maybe I'll get that going then switch. Peace out folks.

Sorry to hear you may be out for a while. My server ranking will suffer but you have to do what you have to do. Good luck. Take care. Come back soon and I'll leave the light on for you!
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:07 pm

I know that this is an OLD thread but I moved within the last 1.5 years and to my surprise, in my neighborhood, I don't have access to cable internet. I moved to a bigger city but I live outside the city limits and live in a more rural like setting. The area we live in the parcel lots is about 2 acres or more. So my choices for the internet were limited to what is available and they were Hughes Net (satellite internet), BlueSpan (microwave internet), and a dial-up through Centurylink. So we ended up with BlueSpan, which is what the previous homeowner had. I got their "fastest speed" of 20 Mbps for $99.99. Here is one result but their speeds vary from 1.58 to 21.21 Mbps

But now with Starlink in Beta testing in the area, I am drawn to it, but since I retired back in November of 2019 and so far have not been able to get a job, the $500 equipment purchase is sort of out of the question for me right now. But I have seen people's results in the area getting 150-200 Mbps by multiple people. And all that speed for the same price as my $99.99 microwave internet with 20 mbps.

Anyone here has any experience with Starlink?
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:29 pm

I've got nothing for you Sir but sorrow and hope. I feel bad you are stuck like that and hope you will find a way around all of this crap. Sorry David!
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Sat May 14, 2022 9:47 am

Well, I was lucky enough to change internet providers where I live. I knew someone who had Starlink and he was going to another provider because he was able to work out a sweetheart of a deal, so I bought the Starlink equipment from him and he transferred service to me. So now I have better internet now than I did for the past two years.

Granted, it is satellite internet so the speeds do vary but, overall it is faster and more dependable than what I had (Bluespan). The cost is $110 and I get speeds from 250+ to 35 mbps. Still better than paying $99 for a 20 mbps plan that I only got on average of 13-14 mbps from my previous provider.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun May 15, 2022 10:34 pm

Hot Damn! I heard you died and here you are. I'm so happy and confused. Sorry those speeds still totally suck but better is better! Man I'm glad you are still alive. Try to drop in more often eh!
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Mon May 16, 2022 6:35 am

Hahaha. Thanks. I do drop by to read some of the posts but had nothing to add. With the internet speeds with Bluespan, it was not worth my while to try to play, but with Starlink, it is better. But I will continue to drop on by.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Thu May 19, 2022 3:18 pm

I must admit that I had a bit of a start at first, but soon realized that the fellow that GP was referring to was a regular at Hook's servers named Dave. (It was that damned virus that got him.)
Sorry, I should have spoken up sooner. My bad.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess