Type of Internet Provider

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!

What type of internet provider do you have?

Cable
75%
Dial-up
No votes
DSL
25%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 12

David
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Type of Internet Provider

Post by David » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:54 pm

*POTS* wrote:Go for a flat plan David, traffic caps are never a good thing, specially if you do a lot of video streaming.
I am leaning towards that direction (I have a trial period of 90 days and I am only in the first week of it) of going back to my flat 5mb/s plan which has no caps. I honestly do not see a huge difference on normal web browsing with the 50 mb/s plan vs the 5 mb/s plan.

For ISP, I have the cable internet option, dial up or the dsl. The dial up...a plain and simple no. The dsl, I have used some at others' houses and they hate it. Dsl is slow where I live and the company acknowledges that they are not willing to spend money to improve it. Those who I know who that have dsl and live in the area where I live, dislike it and complains about it more than I do on the cable internet provider.

So I am stuck with my cable internet, bad pings and all during games, but it is still better than the dsl here and dial up.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:09 pm

Dial-up is a total no-no. Your only hope would be a 3G/4G mobile network and an Internet key.

About simple browsing, they say 2 Mbits are already enough. 5 Mbits should be sufficient for HD video streaming I think.
Plain Old Telephone Service

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Post by Hermskii » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:32 pm

Agreed. Like I said, I have been pretty happy with just 5000 down so far. Sometimes it goes up to 8 or 9 but 5 is just fine too.
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:55 pm

Well, I contacted my cable company and advised them to cancel my contract and and I wanted to go back to the 5 mb/s plan due to the cap. So I am back to were I was before, just with new router and modem, and no cap.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:57 pm

At least you got to dance at the dance David!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Beagle

Post by Beagle » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:09 pm

I have had AT&T Uverse for almost a year now, and while it's OK, it's not as good as Comcast cable that I had before. We changed from Comcast because our deal had run out, and I thought I would like the whole-house recorder that AT&T has (and Comcast doesn't, at least in this area). I get download speeds anywhere from around 3 to 8 Mbps, and upload as high as maybe 1.5 Mbps. With Comcast, we were getting download speeds of 28 Mbps fairly consistently with occasional excursions over 30. Even in those moments when the speed lagged I never saw it below about 15. Upload speeds were better than 3 Mbps.

When it's working well, AT&T is fast enough for almost everything we do. There are times during the day (usually early evening, probably when folks are home and hitting the Internet) when lag is bad and downloads are not real quick. Also, I'm not impressed with the whole-house recorder, because the drive doesn't have enough capacity for three individuals and their disparate viewing tastes (and recording in HD). AT&T swears they are releasing a new recorder with double the capacity, but I won't hold my breath.

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:19 am

Mine on a bad connection wireless... (router is across house from comp)
Image[/quote]
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:37 am

I have to go with what Beagle said. I'm in his boat with AT&T. It works well enough but speed is not nearly what cable was. We don't have the recording issue since we don't record too much stuff.
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Well, I held onto the flat 5 mb plan that my cable had for as long as I could for most part. They no longer offer it and so I was about to be forced to change to their 50 mb plan. The good thing is that there is no "cap" now, compared to earlier. The "recommended allotment" (ie cap) is 300 gb compared to the previous 50 gb. Supposedly, if you go over the allotment, they do not charge you but if you constantly go over the allotment, they recommend you to go to a higher plan.

So we will see. My highest usage on my old plan was 74 gb a month. So hopefully this plan will work for me without too many issues.

Anyway, here is my result.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:11 pm

NEW UT SERVER TIME! Welcome to the club David. What will you be calling it?

Also, how does one see how much internet they use a month. Does it come on the bill? Do I call them up and ask?
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:09 pm

Hermskii wrote:NEW UT SERVER TIME! Welcome to the club David. What will you be calling it?

Also, how does one see how much internet they use a month. Does it come on the bill? Do I call them up and ask?
First off.... :?: on the new UT server.. hahaha.

With my ISP (Cableone) I go to my account on cableone.net and I select the bandwidth and it tells me... as an example
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David

Post by David » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:49 am

Well it has been a couple years since this post. I still have my cable provider and they sped up their connections, I am sure others have done the same. Here are my current results. I am surprised though. Even though the cable's competitors sped up their connections, it is no where near to compete with the cable company. I think the fastest competitor is probably near 50 mb/s, if that.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:23 am

I have cable. I've been wondering and blaming my ISP about my crappy video streaming for over a year. I should have done my homework sooner. They've screwed me again. By reworking their offerings again, they've slipped an in-effect price increase past me again by dumping me down a level. (again!)

I wonder what you guys in the USA are paying for such awesome bandwidth as David has.
To get that level here in Canada my unbundled stand alone price would be $100 a month minimum. Assuming I was getting what I was paying for.

I am now on their lowest priced and slowest plan called "UltraFibre 15". Hover your cursor over the litte question mark beside that really nice looking price in those various price boxes, to see what the REAL price is. :?

I won't be locking myself in for a year to save 5 bucks a month this time. That plan expires in two days. It's time to move on, I think. Just where, what, or how I won't be deciding just yet, but soon I will.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

David

Post by David » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:45 pm

Well I do believe I am over paying for the service, but in the area I live in I do not have much competition, so I know the cable company knows this and tends to take advantage of this. So if I wanted to have the speed, I need to pay.
Cable Bill.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:52 pm

I rent from a very nice landlord, who offers free utilities... of which his WiFi is considered one of the free utilities.

Only real issues with my internet access is if I'm a few days behind in paying my rent.