Computer Question

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
Dr.Flay
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Computer Question

Post by Dr.Flay » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:02 am

Any time I see a useful tool for Windows 10, it gets added here https://vivaldi.net/userblogs/entry/windows-10
When/If I have to use it, I would rather prepare it before I use it.
There are a few tools that sweep through the registry and disable as much as possible.
New tricks keep getting used by MS, or previously missed items are found, so it may be worth checking them for updates occasionally.

First and most important tip, Always create your user profile while disconnected from the net.
This forces it to make a local user account, which also means that you don't need a connection to change your password later.
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:33 pm

Amen to that! I hate the way we are being railroaded into using methods and processes that we may not want to use. A local profile is certainly preferred!

You can convert it to a local one I'm told. I haven't done it but I hear it is possible.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:34 pm

When you find out Hermskii, let us know! :D
Also, ramifications for Local Profile as opposed to online?
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:06 pm

Every time I see a new PC on sale for a nice price at Best Buy or some such place they always turn out to be junk that the seller is dumping, according to the reviews. :?
And when I go to Dell and start trying to configure one of their XPS towers or even an on sale Alienware Aurora at a good starting price, by the time I'm done adding MS Word and a little of this and that the XPS becomes a $1700 dollar machine, and the Alienware's price has gone into outer space. :lol: :roll: :?

Add to that the nonsense with Windoze 10, and the news shows that talk about how the hackers are winning the cyber war, one just feels like staying offline and letting the library techs handle such problems. :(
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

David

Post by David » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:07 pm

I know it has been a longggggg while since I have posted. My job is leaving little ambition for me to do anything besides work, sleep and hopefully eat sometimes.

My employer switched to an IT company for computer upkeep. Ever since they took over, my work computer has ill effects. They put our department on a domain, so the computer acts differently. As an example, if I move a file from my desktop to a folder within my My Documents, the file is placed in that folder but it remains on the desktop as well. The computer acts as if when I log into the computer, I am logging onto a network drive and not a stand alone. Sometimes, when I log in, all the desktop icons are gone except for the recycle bin and a folder or two. I then need to log out and log back in and then the desktop will then come up but then all of my icons have been rearranged to default settings.

I was getting tired of rearranging and them doing weekly maintenance over the internet and my desktop be all screwed up again. They claimed that they adjusted the settings on their maintenance to avoid the desktop issue but the last couple of days proved them wrong.

After I gave them a chance to correct the issue, I then downloaded a freeware program called DesktopOK. I then saved my desktop settings with program. So when they, "IT" people screw up my desktop again, I just do a quick slick on the program that has my desktop settings and it corrects. So it is actually two clicks, one to start the program and one to load the saved setting.

I like it. It saves me many minutes trying to organize what was organized before so called "IT" screws it up.

I also hate the domain thing they have done. You can manage a network without a domain, in my naive opinion.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Glad to see you are still about.
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:12 pm

I have a question and maybe someone here might know the answer.

I am listing my wife's older laptop for sale on eBay. I did not think I would get an offer or there would not be a lot of interest in it, due to it being an older laptop; but to my surprise it is being looked at, watched and even bidded on already and this is only the 2nd day of a 7 day auction. I do not get it.

What is so special about this laptop? Here is the link to the auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/172903259965?ss ... 1558.l2649 I am not trying to get people here to buy it, but I am curious what is special about this? I tried to be honest about its condition and I wish to be fair about everything but it is an older large laptop. Sure back in the day when I bought it new from Toshiba, it was pricey but I wanted something good for my wife instead of used laptops that I might buy on eBay. Can you help me understand?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:50 pm

Ummmmm, because by today's standards it is stil an awesome laptop. My best/newest computer that I have is not as good as that laptop. You are offering an i7 proc in it which is about the best you can get. You have a OS on there everybody loves being WIN7. It has 8 gigs of ram which is plenty for most people and a huge screen. It has a big enough hard drive too. All they need to do is put in a Solid state drive and this laptop will be totally badass. Someone wants it for a media computer I'm sure of it. That person is me for instance but there are others too. Oh and toshibas are supposed to be good too. I have one.

What are you hoping to get for it? I'm betting it will get up to about $350 - $400.

Either way, good luck!
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Honestly it is more than I expected already ($122 so far).

Concerning the i7, it is first generation so to my understanding that is old compared to current processors.

But the battery does not hold a charge for very long. You need to use the charging cable to really run it. The laptop can get warm and the random shut down (I am guessing due to heat but not sure).

So that is why I am surprised in the interest and the 13 watchers (so far).

By the interest it makes me second guess my description of it. But I tried describing it to the best of my ability and I want to be honest and fair.

David

Post by David » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am

Hermskii wrote:What are you hoping to get for it? I'm betting it will get up to about $350 - $400.

Either way, good luck!
Well, it got to $216+15 shipping so $231 and some change. Still surprised me though. Again I know when I bought it, I tried to get the best that I could afford, but by today standards it is slow, heavy and large. My wife still thinks the laptop is a sharp looking machine, the picture on the screen is sharp and crisp and she likes it, but it is just old.

I contacted the high bidder before he/she won, and asked what the draw to it was. As of this time I have not yet heard.

I know it is an i7, but we are in the 8th generation of i7 and this laptop has the 1st generation. There has been improvements.

I hope the laptop will serve the needs of the buyer.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:54 am

Make sure to get that answer and let us know. Thanks!
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 am

Well I got an answer from the buyer. His response is as followed:
"Hello,
For me I was interested because I currently have a slightly faster version of the same computer and I am having problems with it. I presume yours is basically the same, so I will move my hard drives to the one I.m getting from you.
This solves my immediate issue. I do also like the large display also. I would guess that the display is probably the main attraction as well as the larger keyboard. This model does not seem to be very common. By the way mine came out of the recycle bin at the dump last year and still worked.
"

I will have to agree that this model is not common, I looked on eBay to see what the going rate was and I did not see any active auctions on them therefor I mistook that as they do not sell so my expectations were low. My wife thinks that the laptop is a sharp looking laptop, she really likes it but by today's standards it is slow, heavy and "very large". I hope it serves the new owner well.

David

Post by David » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:12 pm

I know this is an older thread, and most likely this question has been asked and answered before but I cannot find it if it has.

When I start Unreal Tournament it loads up for a second or two (you even hear the music) but then it goes to the desktop or other window. Then I just click on the icon for Unreal Tournament that loaded then it takes me back to the game that loaded. So I guess in short when I start Unreal Tournament it switches screens. How do I keep it from switching screens. It was fine a while ago, but I am guessing some software or driver updates may have changed something.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:33 am

How many screens does the PC you are playing UT on have?
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:02 am

I just have one monitor. I am sure I am not clear on my verbiage of screens.

As an example, if I am on my desktop and click on my shortcut for UT, it will begin to load (even hearing the music) but then it reverts back to the desktop (window/screen). I would then need to click on the active UT icon on my taskbar to switch back to the UT game that loaded.