HD Silver Anniversary

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

HD Silver Anniversary

Post by a nameless entity » Sat May 21, 2011 6:43 pm

It is the Victoria Day holiday long weekend up here in Ontario this weekend. Queen Victoria's birthday was on the 24th of May, and it's been a tradition in this province to honour her birthday with a day off since the time of her reign. Quite some time ago, the holiday Monday was standardized as the Monday before the 24th of May.

On the Saturday of the May long weekend in 1986 I took delivery of my new 1985 FXRSL "Super Glide II" Harley Davidson. I got a nice discount for taking the '85 model off of their hands too. A few short years later people were paying a premium to get their hands on any new Harley. I beat the rush by getting in early I guess. :mrgreen:

As today is the Saturday of the May long weekend, it is now 25 years since I picked up my new bike. I took a photo to mark the occasion after I got back from a 250 km ride. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Re: HD Silver Anniversary

Post by Hermskii » Sat May 21, 2011 11:08 pm

Look at you! Very nice new bike there Nameless. Time for new brakes and rotors maybe? I also see a scratch on the front right lower side of the tank and a white mark on the side of the right engine guard bar. What happened? Are you maddddd letting it get scratched up? LOL!

Nothing should look that great after 25 years. Very nice work Nameless and congrats!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Mon May 23, 2011 1:16 pm

Take care of that "puppy" nameless!

And, Thanks for playing with us on Saturday night - Good Games! :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat May 21, 2016 11:37 pm

It is the May long weekend again, and it is five years later. So now it is 30 years since I took delivery of my Harley on the Saturday of the long weekend. No need to post a new photo, I guess. It still looks pretty much the same.
I must admit that I have altered my appearance though. I now have grown a goatee once again. And it is of course, completely grey. I have also affected a bit of a comb over look, the better to hide my receding hair line. ;) :lol:

I should have gone for a ride today I guess. But I have aged worse than the bike has, and the weather has fired off my arthritis. Bummer!
But I recall that I only did the first 50 mile section of the break-in protocol of my bike that first day anyhow. I was supposed to keep the revs at 2500 rpm or less for the first 50 miles, and then no higher than 3000 until the 500 mile break-in period was over. That first day was a pain in the rear, as the engine was so strong and willing that I had to keep snapping the throttle shut as it raced past that 2500 rpm limit so easily.
The next day was much better, and I really got to enjoy the power of those 80 cubic inches. Even with the stock intake and exhaust I had gobs of passing power on the highway that my old 650 cc Yamaha twin just could not manage. :)

So bad back or no, tomorrow I'm going riding. :D

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Post by Hermskii » Sun May 22, 2016 9:59 pm

Be careful and have a great ride. I can't just jump on my bike and take a spin anymore so I'm very jealous and glad for you that I am. It really is a beautiful bike too. I had a ex who had a a Dad who had a real nice HD. Every once in a while I see one just like his. It was a classy bike. Yours is classy too!
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sun May 22, 2016 10:14 pm

Oh, thanks Herm! :D
a nameless entity wrote:It is the May long weekend again, and it is five years later. So now it is 30 years since I took delivery of my Harley.
...I really got to enjoy the power of those 80 cubic inches. I had gobs of passing power on the highway
...tomorrow I'm going riding.
Well, mission accomplished. ;)

I did feel a bit rocky when I first started out, but once I got about three miles down the road the kinks started to work themselves out as I had hoped they would. So I followed a route that I like to go along at least four times a year, as it goes past many farms out in the country side and I can watch the progress of the crops as I go by on each of my rides.

At one point I got to pass a 7 passenger Dodge Caravan taxi. vvrrRRROOOOOMMMmmmmm.....! :mrgreen:

As I reached the junction of regional road 29 and regional road 18 just east of Fergus Ontario, the sunlight shone through the clouds and down onto the town's water tower, and the hills and fields. It was a lovely display of light and the new Spring green, and made me realize once again how beautiful this country is, and how lucky I am to be born and live here. :)

It was a pleasantly warm day, and the 163 km (101 miles) I rode passed by with many a friendly wave from passing motorcyclists on the road. Many a friendly wave also sent my way from passing bikers while I took a break at a roadside picnic area on highway 7 just outside of Rockwood.

It was a good day. I hope yours was similar. :)