I need a powerful file removal tool

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
NoMoreSpam: Silver

I need a powerful file removal tool

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:21 pm

I have pointed out in two other threads my problems with Avast, and what it has done to me.

But here's another problem:

I once had a program on this PC called "A Squared Free" A2 Free for short. I removed that program when it got rolled into AVG anti virus a long time ago. But I have been unable to remove the folder that the program sits in from my PC. It just will NOT be deleted. I have been putting up with that 96 Mb hard drive space stealer for years now, and I am fed up. I am sure if I look around in drive C:\ I will find lots of other garbage that I can't get rid of too. This has been a sore spot for me for ages.

I want a powerful and preferrably idiot proof program that will tear this stuff out of my system. Ideally it would repair any registry damage that might somehow occur also.
I have heard of CrapCleaner, and even have a very old copy on my PC. However it was never easy to use, and I'm not happy about taking chances with this, my only PC.

But I do want this fixed at long last. Any suggestions?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

a nameless entity

Re: I need a powerful file removal tool

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:51 am

Well, oops it was a really great anti malware program called Ewido that got rolled into AVG's anti virus suite. So I lost that great program when it stopped being updated.

A2 Free worked for a while, but then it was "improved" in such a way that the free version was really just nerfed. It became useless.

But today I actually got rid of the folder. First I renamed all .exe files to .txt
I was able to delete everything but the original program file which still would not go. This got me down from 96 Mb to 1.76 Mb. Then I renamed the folder, and dragged it to the desktop. Perhaps just renaming the folder was enough, because I was able to get rid of it. (yay!)

Here's a link to a web page I saw while I was following the advice from Avast's technical department about how to uninstall and reinstall Avast properly. (Success, by the way.) (yay!)

http://www.pchell.com/support/undeletablefiles.shtml

:|
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:03 am

This will work too:
http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

I keep this installed on my computers and end up having to use it occasionally. Sometimes it needs to unlock and remove with the next reboot but it has never failed to shut something down that was persistent.
When everyone you ever known is headed for a headstone
I don’t wanna give the end away but we’re gonna die one day

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:09 pm

Good stuff folks. I love "Revo Uninstaller" and "Your Uninstaller" too. There is also always File Assassin that comes in/with MalwareBytes I think. If not, here it is:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... assin.html

It is only good for a file at a time though I'm pretty sure.

Revo Uninstaller is awesome. It wants to run at a default level of 3 out of 4 strengths.

Install it.
Run it.
It list all your programs just like add remove programs does in control panel.
Select the one you want to uninstall. Click the Uninstall button.
Say yes to the default 3rd most powerful uninstall it defaults to.
On every page where it finds something, carefully tell it to select all and then click delete.
Hit next.
Rinse and repeat meaning keep doing that over and over again until it says it is done.
Close it and reboot.
All done!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:29 am

I often drag the folder to a system temp folder, then use Smartbuster to empty the temp files. CCleaner may also work.

This works well for those annoying undeletable folders left behind after windows updates (The ones with long names of random letters).
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]