Well, poop!

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
EvilGrins
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Well, poop!

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Why swear when I don't have to?

I got home from work Friday night to find my computer dead. It won't turn on. No idea why. Everything's connected right, everything else plugged into the same powerstrip is working fine; nothing was changed on it from when I left.

The damned thing just won't do anything.

Insofar as UT99 is concerned, any and all projects I was working are dead in the water. I can't access them, or even play UT... except in my head which isn't as fun.

This is the first time my computer's been all the way dead since the late 1980's. At most when I've had problems in the recent past I could still access the computer... but maybe not get online.

Now I can't do anything.

So, I'm probably going to become less active in forums for the forseeable future. At the moment (during slow points while at work) I can't really contribute anything other than the occasional laugh and obscure UT lore if someone's got a pertinent question...

...but I'll be back.

Eventually.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: Well, poop!

Post by Hermskii » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:58 pm

We'll take whatever we can get from you until your are up and running again. Now describe dead. Will it turn on at all or does it get stuck at the starting windows screen? What does it do EXACTLY?
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:44 pm

It does nothing. Nada. Zip.

I hit the power button and there's no reaction.

Popular theory is I need a new power supply. My computer guy said he can take a look at it, but the first time he's available is Thursday.

David

Post by David » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:32 am

I did this test for my computer when it went down. It is a test for your power supply. .

If your power supply turns on then your power supply is working and the issue could be with your motherboard. If the power supply does not turn on then your power supply is bad. I did this test and my power supply was good/working. I replaced my motherboard and it fixed the issue.

The test is simple and easy. Again don't touch the paperclip when it is plugged into the power supply and the poer is turned on :wink:
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:12 pm

My computer guy already swung by, checked it out, we hit Fry's, and now everything is right as rain again.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:13 pm

If I may inquire; what was the fix?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:11 pm

Tell us!

Tell us now!

It was a bad power supply I bet.
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Hermskii wrote:Tell us!

Tell us now!

It was a bad power supply I bet.
I think that was what Herm told me about mine, but it was the motherboard on mine 8) .
Hermskii wrote:Crap! I was going to say it is the power supply. They have testers you can buy for them for around 15 dollars at electronic stores. The problem is almost never the mobo. It is always the power supply or unseated ram or wrong ram. Can you cancel the purchase? I just saw this post tonight.
But since you stated that you went to the store got the un-named part and got it fixed (it sounded very pain free) so I would have to say power supply as well.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm just glad to hear his PC is alright. How people could possibly only have 1 PC is beyond me. I never have less that 10 myself. Just in the room I'm in right now there is mine, my laptop, my wife's and both son's computers.

I have about 10 in the garage and several others throughout the house. People talk about going off-grid. I could never do that. I love the Matrix! My steak taste great!
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:28 pm

Hermskii wrote:I'm just glad to hear his PC is alright. How people could possibly only have 1 PC is beyond me. I never have less that 10 myself. Just in the room I'm in right now there is mine, my laptop, my wife's and both son's computers.

I have about 10 in the garage and several others throughout the house. People talk about going off-grid. I could never do that. I love the Matrix! My steak taste great!
Where is the "Like" button? hahaha. I do not have as many as you but I have a good laptop for my wife, a good desktop for my kids, I have my work horse computer , and if needed I have two laptops that I use as Juke boxes but can do everything that a laptop should be able to do.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:23 pm

Reason I haven't been online so much this past week is my home internet was down. Not too unusual, it usually happens every couple of months but ordinarily it's only for a day or two.

This last time was a 4 day stretch, I was largely only online when it was slow at work.

Landlord moved the WiFi source closer to me, he was surprised it had lagged so; only went down a day and a half for him.