Update, Upgrade, or Just leave It Alone?

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
David
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Update, Upgrade, or Just leave It Alone?

Post by David » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Well... I have a couple things on my mind. I need to separate the want and the needs though, but also keep in mind the future....

I have a decent computer that I built years ago.
untitled.JPG
The issues I have, are small ones at that are the following:
1. It is an "older computer". Within the last year I had to replace the motherboard. I actually had to buy a used one on eBay (an identical one to my old one) to replace the old one so nothing had to be modified or changed.
2. I have Windows XP Pro on it. I like XP pro. The issue with XP is that I can not use the current IE and I like using the current IE over the Google Chrome that I am using now. XP is no longer supported by Microsoft (which is not a big deal to me)

To resolve the issues I can do the following:
1. I can install Windows 7 Pro on this system.
2. I can build another computer with Windows 7. Get current or semi-current parts and have a decent and current machine again. I created a build list already but I am not sure that I want to spend money on this right now. This fits into the want category and not the need category right now.
3. Just enjoy the computer that I have right now and use it until I can't no more.

History.
I bought my wife a brand new laptop a couple years ago. I spent the money on it and got what at the time was very current and I did not skimp. My wife enjoys it.
Last year I bought my kids a current computer to replace an older system that I had upgraded over the years and now they have a very good computer. NOW they both have current and fast machines (pity pity me) :cry:

What do you think? I know the smart thing is to enjoy the current computer. When it breaks down then build a current machine. I have everything set up on my computer they way I want, programs, different files and such, and its behavior; and why would I want to go through the hassle and start from scratch by installing Windows 7 on this computer or build another...

P.S. I have the free Avast AV program and it seems, just like the Kaspersky I had before on this computer and on my work computer, that the Av programs really bog down the computer at times and that drives me mad. So I do not know if building a new computer will help this AV issue or not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by David on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

David

Re: Update, Upgrade, or Just leave It Alone?

Post by David » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:43 pm

Here is my build list. I am not trying to build a gaming computer, just a decent computer. The only game I play is UT.

Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811147107

ASUS H87M-PRO LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 uATX Intel Motherboard, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131994

Intel Core i7-4771 Haswell 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I74771, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116941

GIGABYTE GV-R726XWF2-2GD REV2 Radeon R7 260X 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125486

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820148545

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139010

ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED CPU Cooler, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835118046

Seagate Constellation ES.3 ST1000NM0033 1TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822178291

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827135204

The price is about $1200 give or take due to sales coming and going.... I would also have to buy a Windows 7 Pro disc. I like the building expect, not the spending $$$ aspect.

I could and I should put that $1200 towards savings or towards the home loan...

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:56 pm

Hell no!

Don't spend that much on a non-gaming PC. Go buy a $300 laptop from best buy. You could buy 4 this year alone for the price you are talking about spending on one non-gaming PC.

Maybe buy a decent desktop for say $500-$600 and then do it again in two or three more years or just buy a brand new laptop every years and you'd still be way ahead of you 1 single PC purchase you mentioned.

Look into my eyes and open your ears. Don't spend the money to get near the best when you can get way better than anything you have at one quarter the cost. With the money you save you can do this 4 times over the next 8 years and believe me when I say the technology is going to change big-time between now and then.

I used to build my own computers. Now it just isn't worth it unless you can buy the OS and the AV and the Office products all for less than $50. If you can't, you might be better off buying a pre-built PC or laptop.
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:13 pm

I was looking into a used Dell XPS 8700, but that cost is around $800 and up, but the power supply is low and so you are limited on upgrades.

On eBay there is something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-8700-D ... 338c607c5a

Would that be good enough? Thoughts?ideas?

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:26 am

As someone else in your position, I'd say option 3 is the best, for now. Just use it until you can't no more. Then you could consider putting Win 7 on it.
Because of previous cases of major hassles from "upgrading" drivers and all that sort of thing, I came to the conclusion of "don't fix it if it ain't broke".
So why engage in O/S upgrading hassles until you have to?
And save your money for later, when Win7 is abandoned, and you must get a new computer.

And speaking of Avast, you may recall what happened to me with it. It broke after an update that turned out to be bigger than just new definitions and "engine" improvements. I got it going again, but it slowed my PC down even more. Then that last update I innocently did trashed Avast and disabled my PC, and their help desk suggestions all failed. I think that they wrote for the latest Windows O/S's and just rather hoped it would work on XP.
I was forced to go to Microsoft Security Essentials. It's better than nothing, and certainly better than Avast, since it runs, and my PC is faster now.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:36 am

I'd say keep XP on the old rig, and have 7pro on a new one.
You can use VirtualXP in Windows pro for free.
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:17 am

A notification came informing poeple about end support bla bla. Yes, they have a solution to make other money (what if all Xp users suddenly buy a new OS ?). They are going to make donations because "there is enough fish into this lake" isn't it ? C'mon, I have machines with XP in good working conditions at this moment and is not the time to throw a stupic coin for any newer - WHY ? Says who ? I was looking for a kinda solution - I really wanna test RoboLinux (it says about runing Win Apps), secured better by default and so on. Last time at work I assambled 2 new PC-s for a customer. Plastic parts, thin metal, if you sneeze they fall from table, a good machine cost a fortune for me. Now I'm feel better like this with "my tanks" and I won't buy any new piece of crap for other headaches.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:21 am

Nelsona wrote:A notification came informing people about end support bla bla.

Yes, they have a solution to make [more] money (what if all Xp users suddenly buy a new OS ?).

I have machines with XP in good working condition at this moment and [it] is not the time to throw [money at] any[thing] newer

I won't [just] buy any new piece of crap for other headaches.
I couldn't have said it better myself. [although in a way, I guess I did. ;) ]

Oh yeah, I was really thrilled with Micro$oft's "helpful" suggestions that I buy a new O/S from them, or better yet, a new PC and a new O/S all in one. So the prices for a new PC are cheaper than ever are they? Well, isn't that special. I'm sure the Bill Gates foundation is ready to make a donation to me and all of the other millions of XP users out there that have a new PC budget of ZERO. I won't hold my breath waiting for the check. Thanks Bill! Have a good life! Oh that's right, you already do, don't you? :roll: :?

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:19 am

I will happily continue with XP on my 32bit box for years to come, same as I did with 98.

You could definitely benefit from using 64bit XP and squeeze some more speed out of it.

If you insist on using IE you are very at risk already.
In Microsoft's infection and infiltration charts, the top 3 holes in the system are Java, Flash and IE (all versions).
(Other browsers have a wide choice of security plugins and advanced options)

After cut-off day, you MUST downgrade your profile from Admin, and elevate your privilege when you need to. Don't forget to create a new admin account!
According to MS, this will stop over 90% of infections.

If you really really must use IE, then you do have an option.
A horrible option, but the only one.
Install Chrome Frame into IE. https://www.google.com/chromeframe
This will kick-in when IE hits some modern stuff it cannot handle.
It hogs RAM and CPU when running as a plugin, but will allow you to use IE.
Running on a multi-core does help, but would be better with 64 bit windows.

The last 3 "Security Now" web-casts have covered using XP beyond the deadline.
http://twit.tv/sn
As long as you use your PC in a secure way, and keep your other software updated, you don't have to worry.

Get "Autopatcher" and create your own offline updates and hotfix distro, so you can do a clean install and still update it.
http://www.autopatcher.net
It fetches the files from the MS site, so you may need to get it done very soon.
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 pm

Thanks, Doc. Is just a problem noticed by me and it looks like others had it too, a hard process when Updates were turned on, simple, something performed normally by win update in original is not executed by "patchers" and will result in a high CPU load. Only getting rid of updates things are turned to normal, but I'm guessing this is just a stupid trick. Things needs fixed in original else I don't have trust in a stable thing operated in registry (I'm guessing). Maybe in next period of time some cure will be developed and then we can still be happy.

Else if I'm seriously bugged, I'll quit PC subject in big parts until a reliable solution will shows up from somewhere.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:10 pm

Dr.Flay wrote:I will happily continue with XP on my 32bit box for years to come, same as I did with 98.

After cut-off day, you MUST downgrade your profile from Admin, and elevate your privilege when you need to. Don't forget to create a new admin account!
According to MS, this will stop over 90% of infections.

As long as you use your PC in a secure way, and keep your other software updated, you don't have to worry.
And just how do I do this downgrade thing? And if I make a new admin "account" what is the net difference?

Or are you talking about a business situation with many computers, rather than a single home user?

(Yes, I am that clueless.)

One nice surprise this morning, April 9th:
Two more patches and one last malicious software removal tool from Micro$oft. :)

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:49 am

Heck I am still using ME on one of my machines.
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Dragon

Post by Dragon » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Talk about old school HOOK lol
I have xp 64 bit on my dell only problem is that my printer does not recognize the xp 64 bit
anyone have any idea's? :?
NEW==> http://www.thereddragonsite.com

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 pm

What is the exact make and model of the printer?

Dr Flay is really just saying that on your XP machine to reduce your main account to a standard user. That way when an infection gets in it only has rights as a standard user which basically suck and the virus won't be able to create or delete crap. Also, there are other accounts on XP that may still have standard passwords on them. Change the password of them to anything but standard.

The Dr. is right. You should be able to use XP for years to come easily if you do it smartly. I too still have a Windows 98 PC and a Windows ME PC. They both work fine.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:34 pm

Hermskii wrote: Dr Flay is really just saying that on your XP machine to reduce your main account to a standard user. That way when an infection gets in it only has rights as a standard user which basically suck and the virus won't be able to create or delete crap. Also, there are other accounts on XP that may still have standard passwords on them. Change the password of them to anything but standard.

The Dr. is right. You should be able to use XP for years to come easily if you do it smartly. I too still have a Windows 98 PC and a Windows ME PC. They both work fine.
I have no idea on how to do any of that. Or if I even need to do any of it. :?