Java 7 on XP?

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Java 7 on XP?

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:55 pm

I got an update notice about Java 7 the other day, but have held off installing it on this XP computer. Doing that will remove Java 6, and as XP is no longer a supported platform, Java apparently is not supporting it either. So to my mind it is NOT a good idea to allow this update.
In fact I have turned update notification OFF, so that Java won't annoy me about this in the future.

So have I done the right thing, given my situation?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: Java 7 on XP?

Post by Hermskii » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Totally bad thinking. Go so far as to uninstall every version of JAVA you have including the old 1.42 jre versions and such. Then go install the latest greatest version of java by going to www.java.com and clicking on the red "Free Java Download" link on the home page. Make sure not install install the additional programs it will offer like Chrome or something like that. When it is done say yes to running the program that will verify your version and check for older versions to replace.

It all makes sense now. You had a way old version of java on your PC. No wonder you were getting hammered by viruses. Had you called me and let me remote in like I wanted to, I would have fixed that in the first 3 minutes over a year ago. You must keep your java current for security reasons.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:06 am

Actually, I only put Java on this PC at the time I was having difficulty with Avast a few months ago. I did it so that I could run my ISP's free online virus scanner. So my final version of Java 6 is/was very current.

I was assuming that Java 7 is intended for Windows 7 and later, and not necessarily for XP. Certainly at some point I will run into trouble with something a Java update does to my PC, since Java has said on their own website that their software will no longer be made to support XP.

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:07 pm

I thought it checks your system anyway, and if your system is too old, it does not change what you have or install a new version.
That is what happens when I tried to let the updates install new stuff on my old ME machine. :wink:
It just basically says: Sorry, your system is too old and we cannot update. :lol:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:49 am

Hook wrote:I thought it checks your system anyway, and if your system is too old, it does not change what you have or install a new version.
That is what happens when I tried to let the updates install new stuff on my old ME machine. :wink:
It just basically says: Sorry, your system is too old and we cannot update. :lol:
Okay okay, you guys talked me into it. The Java 7.55 update is installed and my computer did not blow up.

Well not this time anyway. But past experience says............. :roll:

:lol: :lol:

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:34 pm

I still have not yet needed java on my new PC, other than to run 1 program, so I just used something else.

You can go through the settings and disable it from being automatically loaded with windows and the browsers.

Enable all the server and certificate checking.
Disable the cache, or set to 0k.
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:51 pm

The Firefox browser comes with Java already installed or it is integral to the program or something, is it not?