Internet Explorer - Major warning...

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Internet Explorer - Major warning...

Post by Hermskii » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:43 am

~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Re: Internet Explorer - Major warning...

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks for the warning.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Thu May 01, 2014 11:54 pm

Has this issue been addressed by KB2964358?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2964358

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri May 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Poor Microsoft. It looks like I lucked out in that they say that if you do have one update installed and then install the other you will crash your system. You'd think they would have the new one check for and remove the old one before installing. here, they make it sound like it is up to you to know to remove the old one before you install the new one or just install the new one while never installing the old one. STOOPID! Yes, I know I misspelled it.

I installed a patch last night and then another this morning on my WIN 7 system with no issues. I have long been an advocate for IE over the years but I have been using Chrome much more over this last year and am starting to understand how it can be liked so much by so many. This security example is just another reason to turn away from Microsoft Internet Explorer. It is sad though that people are always gunning for #1 and to date IE still is the King of internet browsing.

It will be fun to see Apple/MAC scramble when people start trying to hack them as hard as they have been trying to hack Microsoft products. All of this could have been avoided too and Apple/MAC could have closed the door on all competition many years back had they not insisted on being proprietary ****-heads.
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm

while admittedly late in the game, as noted by several news agencies, hackers started focusing their attention on apple/mac for the first time about 4 years ago.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri May 02, 2014 8:41 pm

Hermskii wrote:Poor Microsoft. It looks like I lucked out in that they say that if you do have one update installed and then install the other you will crash your system. You'd think they would have the new one check for and remove the old one before installing. here, they make it sound like it is up to you to know to remove the old one before you install the new one or just install the new one while never installing the old one. STOOPID! Yes, I know I misspelled it.

I installed a patch last night and then another this morning on my WIN 7 system with no issues.
Actually, I think it is the other way around. You must have one patch installed before you apply the new one.

And if I read the bulletin correctly it is only Win 7 based systems that need to be sure to be properly patched up before the new update is installed.
Known issues with this security update

Internet Explorer will crash if you try to install this security update on a Windows 7-based system that does not already have security update 2929437 installed. To avoid this issue, take either of the following actions:
Install security update 2929437, and then install security update 2964358. For more information about security update 2929437, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2929437 Description of the security update for Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: April 8, 2014
Install security update 2964444 instead of security update 2964358. Security update 2964444 is intended for systems that do not have security update 2929437 installed.
I only found this update by actually going to Microsoft Update and looking for it. I was not informed by Microsoft that it was available for my XP computer. (Although they may have let me know eventually, I suppose.)

Anyway, I am assuming that this patch addresses the issue until I am otherwise informed.

I was using IE mostly just to watch YouTube vidoes, but have imported my IE favourites into Firefox. Interestingly, Firefox 29.0 seems to do a better job of rendering the videos than my IE 8 did. They looked much nicer on Firefox. I was surprised. But perhaps I shouldn't have been, since IE is now up to version 11, is it not?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed May 07, 2014 1:59 am

Yes, it is up to 11 if you have Win 7 or 8 and it works better the higher your windows version is so win 8 IE 11 is actually faster than win 7 IE 11.
~Peace~

Hermskii