Back when

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
David
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Back when

Post by David » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:19 am

When I went to school, we had to take a typing class and we used typewriters. Computers were not really used back then for most part.

There was a class I took in the same school, back in Massachusetts, dealing with DOS. During this class we made some basic DOS programs. I came up with Madlibs program, where you are first asked for nouns, adjectives, and etc.... and then it auto fills a pre-written story..

Anyways the real reason for stating this is because during this class we also played a game. I thought it was called Shanghai, but I could be wrong (it was many years ago). You are a trader/pirate and you go to port and buy/trade goods and then go to other ports to trade/buy goods. Such as one item might be lower priced at one port, you buy that good there and then go to another port where it is more expensive and sell yours there. You can also attack other ships to get their goods. It was like a lemonade stand type game for boys (action or so called action). Honestly it was a fun game. Even though the graphics were basic, I would still play it today but I can not find it.

Anyone else remember this game?
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

a nameless entity

Re: Back when

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:40 pm

There was a DOS version released of this game, so could this be it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Pirates!

Microprose titles were usually pretty good. I really enjoyed their submarine game called "Silent Service". I spent many hours playing it on my Amiga 500. :)
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Re: Back when

Post by Hook » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:03 am

Yeah, those old games were fun. :D
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777