A sudden appearance of a Google search bar

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
NoMoreSpam: Silver

A sudden appearance of a Google search bar

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:45 am

I've been using Firefox for quite some time and came to rather like the later Firefox default new tab view, which shows thumbnails of pages you've visited in the past.

But just tonight something got changed on that new tab view.

I now have a large and wide Google search bar across the top of the whole page of thumbnails.

I've searched a bit online to try to get rid of this unwanted change, but have not found a solution just yet.
The possibility exists that it's malware based.
Or it could be a Firefox "update", but I don't think so. I was on version 31.0 yesterday, and still am today.

I only downloaded one thing tonight.
I went to Mount Saint Helen and downloaded the UT Server Monitor 291 program. I needed a new copy since my old one disappeared when the hard drive it was on failed.
As with any download, I scanned it before I unpacked it. I scanned with both Microsoft Security Essentials and Malware Bytes. It was ok. Then I scanned it again with both after unpacking it. Okay again.

Then later I opened a new tab and found my new and unwanted google search bar.

Some investigating suggested it might be malware based, but a scan with msert.exe, which is Microsoft's "emergency" malware scanner (used since both Essentials and MB failed to find anything) showed that apparently all is well. (I did a custom scan with this little program and had it scan my Mozilla folder in program files as well as the defaults.)
So I'm unsure of this possibility.

Here was one page I found: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... wer-506372

I followed this advice but had no luck.

I even tried to reset my about:newtab settings in Firefox by first making it show only a blank page, and then going back but that failed.

I only have one addon and it was already disabled. It's something to do with Microsoft net framework something or other anyhow.

So if it's not an addon blocking my attempts to revert back to my old newtab view without the search bar, then wtf?

I want that google search bar gone.

Let me make it clear that I am not accusing Helen of anything, but if the change didn't come from the download, it might have come from just visiting a hacked Mount Saint Helen website. Hopefully it is not, but if this change really is malware based, then be warned that that possibility exists. -I had a problem with a hacked Harley Owners Group Chapter's web page in the past. The hackers got my email address too, when I stupidly used the website's own "contact us" page to tell them what was going on.

Apologies for any possible tempests in a tea pot I may have just caused for having the temerity to suggest Helen's website might have been hacked. But it's possible. I've done nothing out of the ordinary otherwise, today. :?

Ah, once again I pick up a computer problem in the evening and end up staying up half the night trying to resolve it. It's coming on 3:30 a.m. I'm tired, and hope this post is intelligible.

I want that stupid search bar gone. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this new search bar from Firefox?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

EvilGrins

Re: A sudden appearance of a Google search bar

Post by EvilGrins » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:34 pm

I don't use firefox, and you didn't provide a screenshot of the annoying new google gadget, so this is gonna be guesswork.

1) A lot of things update on their own, while remaining the same version. By way of example, 2.0 of anything might have a dozen updates but it's only the yearly update which makes it 3.0 or whatever.

2) If it's not malware (one can always hope) then deactivating it should be fairly easy. Again, screenshot would've helped. Have you tried right-clicking around it? Maybe you can bring up an options menu to disable it.

3) If all else fails, get an axe.

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:22 pm

I think it is the recent update.
This is my Firefox start page
firefox.jpg
I am using the "Stylish" plugin to make it black, and "Classic theme restorer" to make it not look like chrome.

If this is what you are seeing, then there is no actual "toolbar" installed in FF.
You can add any search engine to FF you like, as it is only a string of info.
eg.

Code: Select all

http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=%s
The plugins you see here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... h/?atype=4 simply add the correct info (no files are added to the browser).

Try clicking on the google logo and swap to the search provider you prefer.
Or click on the icon in the normal search bar, and change it there.

I use this plugin to add extra search functions into FF
https://firefox.maltekraus.de/extension ... search-bar
Simply right-click in the search bar of a site you use, and add it to your browser.
:idea: I have UT99.org and Unreal wiki search added to mine with this :mrgreen:

If you only have 1 plugin, I sincerely hope it is something like "Web of Trust", "Safe Preview", or "Webutation".
"Ghosterey" or "Privacy Badger" should also be installed.
If you want to know where your browser has been talking to, then check the "Lightbeam" plugin

HTTPS/SSL plugins are also important in this day and age, and I recommend you investigate
"Calomel", "HTTPS Everywhere" and "Perspectives"

Remote anti-virus can also be added so you can scan files before you download.
"VTZilla" is the official Virus Total plugin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Ok I get it. It's a recent update, even though it seems the version number of Firefox stayed at 31.0

Thank you Dr. Flay, that screenshot is what I am seeing now. As recently as two days ago I had only the icons and no search bar on my newtab pages.

So.... Mozilla has snuggled up even more tightly with Google.

I used to like Firefox, it was considered the "safer" browser to use over IE. Perhaps it still is.
I used to like Google too, but nowadays it seems they are getting too big for their britches. They've made a lot of money and seem to be everywhere and into everything. I assume they've donated to Mozilla which is why their search fields and free tool bars are all over Firefox, and in countless other places. Money talks, but sometimes it should lower its voice. :roll:

Apologies to Helen for the false suggestion of possible malware at his place, and all others whose feathers may have been ruffled. You may now shoot the messenger.

:?

p.s.
EvilGrins wrote: 3) If all else fails, get an axe.
Oh believe me, believe me, one of these days I'm going to reach my breaking point with the way the internet and isp's are going, and then we will be done with each other. :evil:

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:55 pm

you can change the default page behaviour in the main preferences.
First option "Startup" in the "General" tab.
Hope that also helps.
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:34 pm

Thanks.

I've used a blank page for quite some time now as my startup page. Firefox loads much faster that way.

[rant deleted, as I've already made my point in this thread] :roll:

Helen

Post by Helen » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:04 am

I have switched from firefox (the chrome-wanna-be, cluttered and exasperating to keep like I want it browser), to Pale Moon. As you can see from the pic, I like my controls extremely uncluttered.

The home page also has a link to a migration tool for those people switching from firefox. So the install and switch was dead easy. I've been using it awhile now, no complaints.

one of the Scriveners. You can visit us at www.birdieman.com/forum

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:31 pm

And where did you find that? What made you switch? Why not just use IE?
~Peace~

Hermskii