Canadian Rock

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Canadian Rock

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:01 am

Avril Lavigne? Heh, yeah right! Justin Bieber? lmao. NO. :lol: :lol:

You guys down south can KEEP them. We kept the best for ourselves:

Example #1:

From the album "Body Rock" 1989:

And still going strong many years later, and looking better than ever!

Live at Sweeden Rock 2011:

More to come later on. Watch for videos from the Headpins soon. ;) :D
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Loco
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Re: Canadian Rock

Post by Loco » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:38 pm

To be fair, Avril Lasagna is not awful to listen to, she has some decent songs like When You're Gone (I used to listen to that song a lot back in my first years of middle school).

One of the Canadian bands I really like is Evans Blue. This is one of their songs called
Warrior.

While this song hints more towards Progressive Rock, most of their other songs are more in the Progressive Metal genre.

And of course you gifted the world Bob Dylan in the 60s. Oh how I wish I was born sooner, so that I could be at one of his concerts.
Knocking on Heaven's Door, probably his most famous songs. I really love his unplugged version too.

And there are many more bands and composers that I listen to that could be Canadian, I just haven't tracked where they came from.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Um, Bob Dylan is an American. Born and raised.
Perhaps you're thinking of Neil Young. I like some of Neil's work, but frankly, he can remain in the USA too. :wink:

Loco, you're not the first young person I've heard wish that he was born in an earlier time so that he might have been around when classic rock was new. But don't forget that the same as modern times; there was a lot of dross on the airwaves back then too. (Think: Olivia Newton-John, that anorexic no talent from Australia whose work was all over the airwaves back in the '70's. She cranked out tons of crap to make as much money as possible before she -thank goodness- finally faded away.)

And NOW for the voice that was once described as capable of stripping paint:

As promised, it's the HEADPINS!! 8)

There's lots more worth listening to, just click on more Headpins examples, but here is the one where Darby Mills really gets to work stripping that paint off of your walls: (Crank up the volume to get all of the paint off in one session! :lol:)

Loco

Post by Loco » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:27 pm

Wow, I (obviously) always thought Bob Dylan was Canadian. I guess that's a mix up then.

Indeed, I'm not the first to wish such and certainly not the last. It's no lie that music just had a lot more quality, more effort and more emotion back in the day (that's not to say it's all dull and emotionless now though!), but it's not just that, music just was a much greater "thing" back then. Any music lover would want to be in a time when music mattered.

Just listening to the Headpins now. What. A. Voice. Wow. I mean, the lyrics in Turn it Loud aren't life changing of any sorts, but her voice is so rough around the edges. I suppose it's a love it or hate it kind of thing too.

I've done some Wikipedia searching, and apparently Borealis is Canadian too! They're from Ontario and man do they create some amazing music. Once again, it's towards the metal genre, power metal this time. It's just the genre I'm most versed in and I know a lot of metal bands. I'm still "discovering" the classical, soundtrack and Jazz genres.
Anyway, here's Borealis' song The Dawning Light.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Loco wrote:Just listening to the Headpins now. What. A. Voice. Wow. I mean, the lyrics in Turn it Loud aren't life changing of any sorts, but her voice is so rough around the edges. I suppose it's a love it or hate it kind of thing too.
Heheheh, wow indeed. By the way the album illustration on that video is incorrect. That's the cover of their 3rd album. Turn it Loud was the 1st track of their 1st album, of the same name.

So there I was, in 1979 or 80. I had just bought their 1st album after hearing some of the other tracks on the mighty Q107 FM rock station in Toronto. I had relatively recently purchased a pair of Altec Lansing Model 19 speakers from a dealer in Hamilton, Ontario who was willing to give them up for his cost. He threw in delivery, and the delivery man even helped me carry them upstairs to my bedroom. Take a look at the illustration to see why I needed the help, and why I had to measure my room to see if they'd fit before I bought them. :mrgreen:
I still have them, but my stereo has been broken for upwards of 15 years. These damned PC's and the internet steal any spare cash I have for electronics. Anyway, they are incredibly efficient speakers. A small increase in volume was always rewarded with a very healthy dose of extra dB. So when the 1st track started so quietly, I did as Darby suggested and "turned it up". Holy ****!! My whole chest cavity reverberated to the sonic assault of the music. Wow!!!!! :lol: :mrgreen:
I was really happy my parents hadn't gotten home from work yet that day. I had many happy hours blasting out rock 'n roll through those horn tweeters and 15 inch (38cm) woofers during my alone time.
Later, when the cd player came along I discovered classical music and the genre those speakers were truly created to reproduce so beautifully. :)

And now we shall listen to this awesome cover of a classic Rolling Stones song. It's not often that a cover of a song exceeds the original, but in my opinion this one blows the original out of the water. 8)

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:26 am

Nameless, I'm guessing you can't hear at all now right? My hearing is going away quickly and I owe it all to Rock and Roll too.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:07 pm

I had a hearing test done when I turned 50. At that time the results for my left ear showed that I had lost the ability to hear the very high end of the spectrum. The doctor told me that that was quite normal for someone my age. However my right ear was still okay.

It seems I am still that way. I can hear the treble tones fine on the right track of the stereo. Not so well on the left, but I have not lost the ability to hear cymbals and such entirely. For a while there a few years ago I had actually forgotten about the hearing test results and thought that there was something wrong with the stereo. :lol:

I credit this partly to good luck, and partly to keeping my super sonic listening sessions short, but mostly to NOT wearing headphones very often. It is far too easy to exceed safe volume levels with headphones and not realize it. I found this out the hard way with my Sony Walkman around 30 years ago. I tried wearing it at work and listening to music while I ran my inspection machine. But even though the inspection department was the quietest area of the factory, it was still far too noisey. I discovered that I was cranking up the volume way too high and tiring my ears. Once I realized that I stopped bringing the walkman to work and warned the others about what I had figured out. Not everyone listened. I hope they're okay. Wearing headphones with walkmans, mp3 players and Ipods is the worst. So many times I see and hear young people walking past me with the volume of their Ipod set way too high. It's no wonder that deafness amoung young people is so prevalent. :shock:

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:48 am

Since we can't edit our posts, I hereby repost this video, which does so still exist!! :roll:

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:58 am

Good idea and post 2 above about your hearing.
The kids, and a lot of adults today, are ruining their hearing now.
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:23 am

I don't think these guys ever made too big of a splash outside of Canada, but their best tune still gets air play on the classic rock stations around here:

More proof that I'm stuck in the 80's: :lol:

Toronto's best rock station Q107 used to encourage new talent to submit tapes of their best songs. The winners were then published on Q107's yearly "homegrown" LP. Ah, the good old days. Here is the early version of "New Girl Now" by Honeymoon Suite as it appeared on the album. The opening line of the song was changed. Did you catch it? ;) :mrgreen:

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:11 am

And you guys south of the border thought she was a one-hit-wonder!

:idea: :idea: :idea:

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:34 am

I'm up late again listening to classic Canadian Rock! :o
And maybe posting too many songs too close together. Scroll back a bit in case you missed the goodies I listed just days ago. ;)

I went to high school with the fellow at 0:42-0:44. He was a year ahead of me, and very much a musician already.

Another classic Canadian goodie 8) :

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:58 pm

Damn, we're good! Here's even more proof:

And....... OMG I totally forgot about this song!! I was driving my brother home from the airport when we heard this one on the radio for the first time. We had a good snicker over it:

Hmmm I wonder if Dizzy ever visited this forum and this thread in particular?

Well Dizzy? Did you? Let me know in game if you did!! You may quote this one back to me as "proof" that you finally made it over here:

There once was a fellow named Hyde
Who fell down a privvy and died
His unfortuante brother
Then fell down another
And now they're interred side by side

OR You can just quote some of the lyrics by David Wilcox........ :twisted: :mrgreen:

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:25 pm

Well Dizzy, you still haven't registered here. Pity. It means you're missing this latest installment of classic Canadian Rock: :wink:

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:00 am

One of Lee's lesser known songs