Looking for that new PC

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Looking for that new PC

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:19 pm

As I said in David's ISP thread, I have quit my ISP and will use the money to save up for a new PC.

I've said before that I am so impressed with this ASUS monitor that I am thinking of buying one of their PC's some day. So naturally I see these two items in the Best Buy flyer for this week:

An Asus PC
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asu ... 6-10394138

And a nice Asus gaming monitor
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asu ... 6-10409480

I couldn't find this particular PC at Best Buy USA, and maybe that's a good thing because it would be painful to see how much the weak Canadian dollar is costing me extra. I know there are cheaper alternatives out there that would blow this old Dell 8200 out of the water, but this is what I WANT. And I wouldn't be happy by going cheap, so this is the level of PC that I will be buying.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments in general?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Re: Looking for that new PC

Post by Hermskii » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:18 pm

It is just my opinion but that seems like way too much pc for gaming or at least for UT. I know though that you play more than UT and that you count on your PC for much of your entertainment when not riding your hog.

By the way did you see that 3 day special about the beginning of Harley Davidson they had on TV about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was great!

Anyways, I would buy as much PC as I could get for half that price and pocket the rest until you need a new PC again. Spend all you want on the monitor but take it easy on the PC. Again, this is just my opinion.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:35 pm

Yeah, Hermskii is right - we have a comp we bought a few years ago - it has 4 gigs ram and a 1T HD - we still have a ton of room left on that 1T drive - about 850+ gigs left - even after a lot of music and a bunch of other collections - even from kids and grandkids. :D
Works Great too - we paid around $400+ dollars
An HP All-In-One with a 23" flat screen. :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Hermskii wrote: I would buy as much PC as I could get for half that price and pocket the rest until you need a new PC again.
Hook wrote:Yeah, Hermskii is right - we have a comp we bought a few years ago - it has 4 gigs ram and a 1T HD - we still have a ton of room left on that 1T drive - about 850+ gigs left - even after a lot of music and a bunch of other [stuff]
Works Great too - we paid around $400+ dollars
I'm sure you guys are correct. But it just seems like a good idea to buy the best. However I will consider what will go best with the amount of bandwidth I'm willing to pay for later on. This desk is best suited to a tower PC, so that is the type I will be buying. I may need a new router too. I got the impression somewhere along the way that the newer ones are better suited to high bandwidths than this almost 14 year old Linksys I have. It is NOT a wireless type, but I like it that way, and will go with hard wire connectivity again anyway. ;)
Hermskii wrote: By the way did you see that 3 day special about the beginning of Harley Davidson they had on TV about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was great!
No I didn't see it. :(
It may not have been distributed up here on broadcast or cable TV yet anyway. Which network or cable TV channel was it on?

I'm not on cable. I watch TV through an antenna. There are new omni directional antennas that work great with digital broadcasting. I am considering having one of those put up on my 50' tower with all new coax run through the house in place of all the old twin lead. That will take a bite out of my PC budget, but with any luck I will also be able to pull in the channels that are just out of reach for me at the moment. Since digital broadcasting I cannot get NBC out of Buffalo at all, nor that city's independent channel 49's four channels very reliably. I'm still betting that in 5 years or less that broadcast TV will rival cable TV's variety and number of channels. :idea:
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess