Important announcement for Windows

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
Dr.Flay
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Important announcement for Windows

Post by Dr.Flay » Sat May 13, 2017 3:21 pm

Any Windows users (inc. XP and Vista) out there should get patching.
Microsoft has released patches for Windows that fix the flaw that the British NHS just got crippled with.
You can all thank the NSA for keeping this flaw quiet and creating the malware to use it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leemathews ... f95ae164b9

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/1 ... ware_worm/

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com ... =KB4012598
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: Important announcement for Windows

Post by Hermskii » Sat May 13, 2017 4:05 pm

I have the full version of malwarebytes so no risk to me. Also I heard that this virus was avoidable had you already had your PC up to date with patches. Am I wrong?
~Peace~

Hermskii

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Sun May 14, 2017 2:00 am

You don't understand the seriousness of the problem.
It is not a virus problem. It is a dangerous hole in Windows problem that all sorts of bad things can come through.
Microsoft would not issue a patch for unsupported Windows if they thought is was a normal issue.

This is a vulnerability in the Windows network sharing system which antivirus has no control over.
An antivirus will just stop malware from exploiting the it, if it sees it.

Remember the core of this attack uses the software and groundwork laid down by the NSA over many years.
This is a hole you do not need in your network, or watch it get raided more often as other people close the door.

Microsoft only released patches for the SMB vulnerability last week.
Yes if you are letting Widows auto update (a supported OS) yiu "should" have the fix.
Many people set the updates to download and install later so they can be examined.
Even if you hold off the others, this needs to be done ASAP.
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Tue May 16, 2017 10:06 am

Hey Thank you Dr.Flay and Hermskii !!! :D

I just want to post the following also, as clarification.

WannaCry / WannaCrypt - aka: WanaCrypt0r or Wcrypt ...

This virus/malware targets Unpatched Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2003 and 2008 Editions.
However, "Windows 10 PCs are not affected by this attack" Microsoft says.

This virus/malware does NOT affect those of us using Windows 10 OS, but I myself would keep it up to date just to make sure!
I have my Windows 10 OS on Auto Update. :wink:

KEEP your OS (Operating System) Up To Date!!!
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:58 pm

I appreciate that Microsoft published a patch for XP. Too bad my PC is broken. I have been given the location of a PC repair shop nearby that my friend and his colleagues use. If I ever go back online I might just see if they can do anything with it, although I would just be using it as a server for UT 99.

Meanwhile, I am on this library PC that needs an mind blowing 117 updates, 116 of which are critical updates. :o

I informed the library staff last week of this bad situation, but as the town is responsible for these PC's, God himself only knows when or if the whole network here will ever be updated.

As it is, I am using the Firefox browser, which I must update myself every time I come here to go online. Too bad the updates don't stick from this PC.
-I may just hit download and install on the Win 7 updates, just to see what happens. (If the system asks for a pw, I am going to try "password". :roll: )

I also apologize if this account gets hacked and spam suddenly starts getting posted under my handle. :?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Well as you would expect, the d/l of the 117 updates went okay, but didn't get saved. :|

But someone must have noticed, because now there are only 3 updates that are required. The monthly quality roundup (a new one to this former XP user), the malicious software removal tool for June, and a 4.7 NET framework update.

Not that they're not still having problems. PC's just randomly shut down now, and when you go to log back in you find that your remaining share of time on the network has been used up for the day.
Now if they'd just update Firefox as a matter of course.........

I think I need a new rear brake caliper for my hog. And I want new rear shocks from Progressive Suspension. And my tires are not worn, but are seven years old. And I still can't win money on the lottery.
This new PC idea may just have to wait some more. :lol:

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:05 pm

a nameless entity wrote:Well as you would expect, the d/l of the 117 updates went okay, but didn't get saved. :|

But someone must have noticed, because now there are only 3 updates that are required. The monthly quality roundup (a new one to this former XP user), the malicious software removal tool for June, and a 4.7 NET framework update.
Windows update isn't working today. So I checked the update history. It seems that most of the updates have failed for quite some time. Including nearly all of those 117, and many from previous attempts. :o

Ouch! What a mess! :?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Get a new PC already. Do it!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:25 am

Where ever you move on Internet, final link message is the same: "XP support has ended". BUT... if THEY DID a patch for an ancient OS this means problem is really grave. Yes, this is not about a virus, is an option to take control in machine target using that server type exploit (which I did not install anyway) - I'm not sure if I was really exposed to that exploit - my install there is not a default "next next next", or this exploit can be triggered easy in any such OS using currently loaded files and then, there is no way to deal than an update.
Aside, there are some machine policies around, permitting access from outside by certain users, oh well, as a personal measure I have removed every single line from there (admin, poweruser, etc.). Machine has another server type stuff, and I will never use server integrated features existent in Windows - doesn't matter which Windows is about.
As a matter of fact, for doing a sort of server you don't need file sharing and printer sharing services and neither other Net protocols than usual ones, each thing useless added might be a hidden gate to unwanted guests.

Another thing to mention, it was discovered a grave vulnerability in some CCTV devices coming through port 9000. You don't want to see logs from redirect Web app which I'm using on port 9000, LOL security devices...
If an exploit is found, probably a half of Internet will crawl around more or less intentionally - human does it "manually", virus or malware does it automated... Also I had a bunch of logs with some Cisco router exploits... That included option to download a ROM file which can be read with an application and then password revealed, access to router could be easy opened and ruining setup there... Yeah, Cisco...

However, I was hoping that bad things from UT would be patched someday as this ancient XP by mother "Factory", but... only Higor is working on that...

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:26 pm

This network of library computers is on Windows 7.
I previously tried to take a screenshot of the long list of failed updates but couldn't get it to paste up here.

Yes I need to get to work on getting my own PC and internet. But the motivation is rather low.

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:38 pm

This page may help

Fix Windows Update errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool
https://support.microsoft.com/help/9478 ... -readiness

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks Dr. Flay. I'll keep track of this thread for later.

I have just been assured by a librarian who was talking to the IT tech about another matter that he says not to worry about what Windoze update says on these PC's. All is well behind the scenes, and apparently there is no way for Wanna Cry or Petya to get onto their "remote" hard drives. Or get onto the main data base from these PC's. I sure hope that is correct.

Apparently at some point next month we'll be getting the Windows 10 O/S here at the library. I think I'll wait a bit longer on my PC purchase so that I can have a look at how this new O/S operates.

Maybe I'll next be able to get them to put the latest version of Firefox onto the network, so that I won't have to spend 10 minutes getting it back up to the latest version (54.0) every time I come here.
This network is still on v8. :roll: :lol:
(And as per Dr. Flay's longstanding advice, I do not use IE for anything.)

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:46 am

If their network is not connected to the net, and or they have removed SMB1 then they are safe from malware that uses that exploit.
However if the network does have external net access, an un-patched router or usable USB ports, then it is still open to attack from other things.
As long as the IT dept. don't make assumptions on safety, all will be well.

BTW. you can dry-run Windows 10 as a mockup, by installing the Win 10 transformation pack from http://www.windowsxlive.net
I use their old Windows 7 pack on my XP box. It is very nice :mrgreen:
Anyway, you can see what it looks and feels like with your current system, and if you don't like it remove it.
Then alternatively think about using Windows 10 with "ClassicShell" and make it behave more like Windows 7 or XP.
I use it with Win 7 to get some of the XP Explorer features back. Very nice :mrgreen:

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:43 pm

Is there any (Cor)relation to the current "petya" virus or are those two different dimensions?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:14 am

Just buy the full version of Malwarebytes and be done with it!
~Peace~

Hermskii