Recording Audio

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
(MHM)Grim_Reaper
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Recording Audio

Post by (MHM)Grim_Reaper » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:18 pm

Does anybody have a suggestion on how to record the audio from Unreal GOTY?

I want to record the audio from a game and use it as background for a PowerPoint presentation.

Thank you.

ps. Hope that all is well with H, new son of H, first son of H, and H's wife

Hermskii
Site Admin

Nope

Post by Hermskii » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:37 am

I don't know your answer right off. I will look into it. Thanks for the congrats too. Baby and Mommy are doing very well.
~Peace~

Hermskii

K

Post by K » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:28 am

Any sound recording program can do it.
Most are configurable.

I use Audacity

You can set it to record from your line out.
You can also splice cut paste, It's almost as good as Sound Forge.

(MHM)Grim_Reaper

Audacity

Post by (MHM)Grim_Reaper » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:55 pm

Thank you for the Audacity lead.

I did a Google search for Audacity and found a couple of options. First, I checked out the Audacity from SourceForge.net distributed under the GNU public license and that has only line in and microphone as options for input; appears to be a quality product, though, with far more features than I will be using. There is some other Audacity that requires payment; is there some option other than this?

I searched for Sound Forge too and that price is even steeper.

I am using Windows XP; is there some tool supplied with this operating system that I already have? I also have a Linux machine, but do not have Unreal GOTY installed on that; so I do have some other options there too, perhaps...

...or I could just get over my aversion to paying for this sort of stuff...

Hermskii
Site Admin

Kort

Post by Hermskii » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:01 pm

I love that Avatar Kort. I love the movie too and especially that girl in that last movie she did. She was smoking hot in her last movie about the future.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Scify

Re: Kort

Post by Scify » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:15 pm

Hermskii wrote:I love that Avatar Kort. I love the movie too and especially that girl in that last movie she did. She was smoking hot in her last movie about the future.
Did you know She was or is Model Herm?
I like sence She was Fight along that music.
" If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous!"

(MHM)Grim_Reaper

Post by (MHM)Grim_Reaper » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:31 am

I like Kort avatar too. If I recall, the exact phrase associated with that clip is "multipass". I am kind of getting motivated to get myself an avatar too now...

Flatus

Post by Flatus » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:28 am

Ha, I remember that scene too & the movie was done 10 yrs ago called The Fifth Element. The actor's name is Milla Jovovich playing the role of Leeloo. She's great in the Resident Evil movies too. :wink:

Now as for the audio from UT, what exactly is needed? I got a lot of the music & other sounds in mp3 format from the game. If you know the name of the audio bit, most likey I got it already or could get it & convert it easily. But if not, then name the map (which I may also have, if not I can get it too) & I'll find out via another program I got that associates what it is for that map. :)

K

Post by K » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:20 am

All you need is Audacity 1.2.6
It is what I use.
In the Gui there is a setting for recording source.
You can pick the one called "What you hear"
It will record what ever is playing through your speakers.

Here is a link:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows
It can also convert any file format to mp3 / wave / whatever.

(MHM)Grim_Reaper

Leeloo and audio recording

Post by (MHM)Grim_Reaper » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:58 pm

I still watch The Fifth Element when it comes on; and it still comes on cable channels.

Audacity 1.2.6 has a mixer bar where input can be selected; the list has only two items: "Microphone" and "Line In". I experimented with changing the Recording Device under the "Audio I/O" tab in the Preferences menu accessible under the Edit item in the menu bar; was not able to get anything different to appear in the mixer bar selector. Perhaps my sound card (Sigma Tel Audio?) is not capable enough.

I can get to my UnrealTournament\Music directory and see all the umx type files. Can I simply convert these to mp3? I attempted to load a umx file into audacity and "Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close" was the result. Is there a tool for converting umx to mp3?

Could I use UnrealEd somehow to export the sound files in mp3 format?

Thank you for all your input on this.

In other news: I gooned my linux machine. It was running slow so I used the package manager to delete a lot of things I thought I didn't need and now my GUI is gone; I think it reverted to some form of Xterm. Interestingly, Firefox comes up. I may have to reinstall the Os, in which case I would probably try a new distribution; currently have Fedora Core 6; considering Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS.

Flatus

Post by Flatus » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:46 pm

No the old UnrealEd won't make it to MP3. What you can do though is use the free MODPlug to convert it to the wav format (which you can then alter it if need be) & then convert that with another free convertor (like Audicity) to MP3 (as long as you also got the lame_enc.dll on your system). :wink:

Btw, if you ever want to listen to the UT tunes on your Winamp (if you use it), there is a UMX decoder plugin for it here.

K

Post by K » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:37 pm

You had to download the wrong version or something.
Mine is 1.2.6 and I have like seven choices to record from.

(MHM)Grim_Reaper

Post by (MHM)Grim_Reaper » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:42 am

I do have Audacity 1.2.6 and do not have all the options you do. It must have to do with the sound card or something. I downloaded and installed, I think, the plug-ins mentioned on the 1.2.6 page and that did not seem to make a difference either.

I am going to look into the UMX decoder for now.

I appreciate all your advice.