Monster infighting

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
gopostal

Monster infighting

Post by gopostal » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:34 am

From the readme:

OK, I'm totally sick of monster fighting ruining otherwise great maps. Several really good maps are just a mess because of the monster fighting. To address that I have made this little reference map. It, and the accompanying U file contain scripted monsters that will not fight each other, even in a total fragfest. Some other scripting will stop monsters from fighting until one shoots a projectile or bumps into another, but these won't fight even if the Skaarj catches the behemoth with his girlfriend :)

http://www.planetmonsterhunt.com/downlo ... &df_id=570

Use these just like any other monsters.

Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Monster infighting

Post by Hermskii » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:14 am

Ok, I got the map and will install it but help me here. Doesn't this just work on this map or are you saying that installing the .u file make this true on all maps? What I'm asking is if I put this on the server will it stop the infighting from happening on other MH maps or just yours?

If just yours then is the point here simply to prove that you have identified the issue exactly and now may begin coding something to stop this problem for all maps?
~Peace~

Hermskii

gopostal

Re: Monster infighting

Post by gopostal » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:58 pm

This is simply a showcase map for the base monster classes. It is *NOT* meant to be used as a playing map on a server. What it is designed to do is show you how every monster can be in the same room and not fight.

Now if you are a mapper you can open this, copy any of the monsters (or the actor in the accompanying U file) and paste them into your map and they will be identical to any stock monster except they will not fight each other.

This map will not affect your server in any way, other than to not play correctly. There is no end trigger, no textures, and only one playerstart. It's only meant to be opened in Ed by mappers.

Now nothing is preventing you from taking a couple of the more played maps and doing a {fix} on them and replacing the monsters so the map isn't ruined <cough Minas Tirith cough see PMH for a download cough>...