The Zombie Conundrum

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
BIOMECH
NoMoreSpam: Silver

The Zombie Conundrum

Post by BIOMECH » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:27 pm

Greetings!

We all know how far away from their sterotypes our loveable MH zombies are, but what I'd like to figure out is why they are so fast and so agile...

OK, In an ideal world a zombie is melee-only, with roughly the health of a krall or low to mid level skaarj.
It can run at..say 1.5x your speed, so you can't outrun them, and they are capable of lunging short distances to ambush you, this also lets you sidestep them.
And, finally, players can't walk backwards.

However, seeing as they can walk backwards, at full speed, whilst firing normally, then the zombies need to be even faster and lungier to reach you.
This problem seems to stem from the simple fact of ranged weaponry, the zombie needs to be so fast you can't simply backpedal and gun it down.As for the lunge that seems to be for much the same reason, if somewhat overkill.

Now I was wondering, say you had a weapon that wasn't ranged, such as a modified Chaos UT Sword, you could remove that nasty lunge and alot of the speed and toughness.You would have to be able to kill them without suffering harm, so say it had a short range, not much and just enough to kill it in one strike just before it reaches you.And say these zombies had...1k health with the sword doing 1k damage, to stop people using their enforcers on them.

The end result of this would be zombies you would have to stand and fight sometime, but which require timing and tactics to bring down, and because of the delay between sword strikes it would probably require a team as well.
Now, in MH-WhitePalace.unr there is a Rocket Launcher weapon which has two shots but seems immune to ammo regen laws, a similar effect could be made with...oh I don't know, say a Crossbow.
I couldn't help but notice the many firing modes on the Ghandinator, I wonder if multiple spell-like effects could be applied to this modified sword.

A sort of fantasy zombie hunt. :)
Such a map, if even possible, would be a serious undertaking, but just as food for thought...think about it, and call it a brainteaser. :idea: It's another excuse to show off my imagination... 8)

gopostal

Re: The Zombie Conundrum

Post by gopostal » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:15 pm

Bio I'll whip a simple map up for you this evening that will let you tweak the zombies all you want. If you want, I'll include a broadsword I have (or light saber). The zombies are very much tweakable, and I'll show you how: no programming skill needed.

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Sat May 02, 2009 6:34 am

Neat... :)

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sat May 02, 2009 8:43 am

Sorry, I forgot about this. Too deep in the village fix :roll: . I'll do it up today.

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Sat May 02, 2009 12:49 pm

No problem, the village is more important :)