No deemer boosting mod

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
gopostal

No deemer boosting mod

Post by gopostal » Sun May 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Guys, Herm has asked me to adjust the antiboost to disrupt the redeemer blast also. I've worked on it some in my free time and I've got a pretty good beta for it I think:
NoBoostv3.zip
Would you guys be so kind as to try this with any and all weapons that are not currently nulled with the v2 antiboost? I have tested redeemer and Ghandiblaster, but are there other ones too (Titan gun)?

Now the deemer blast will be nulled a little differently than any other boosting. What happens with the deemer is it comes in a shockwave and that wave behaves differently depending on your distance to the origin. It adds velocity to you, with more added if you are nearer. This is why you can shoot someone in the chest with a deemer and not hurt them but they still get flung. Anyhow, I have nulled any velocity for the half second you are caught in the shockwave which means you basically "float" until it passes, then drop if you were jumping, or just hold position if you are running until the added velocity is not added any longer. This behavior is not in any other blast damage except the redeemer, as this "wave" behavior is why that blast was ignored by the antiboost in the first place. It's not really EXACTLY what I want but it's fairly close. I might be able to log the velocity a player had before the shockwave hits and allow that but its messy as you couldnt change direction until the wave passed. Really freezing is the best option.

Anyhow, take it for a spin and let me know what you think. Try to cheat it and see if you can. This will work in any gametype so a good test would be god mode in a deemer arena match or other super weapon arena.

Oh, also I started to add a config table to allow personal choice on deemer boost but its getting a little convoluted with options. Really if an admin wants to allow deemer boost, use v2. If you don't then use this version.

Lastly, while I'm in here, does anyone vote to have the view shake removed from a deemer blast also with this mod? Try it and youll see what I mean. You dont get moved at all but the screen still rocks and shakes with the explosion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BIOMECH
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: No deemer boosting mod

Post by BIOMECH » Mon May 11, 2009 1:07 pm

Well, they obvious way to cheat it would be to pound someone whilst they're on a sideways lift, therefore making the lift leave without them and treating them to a plungy doom...

If that sounds like a complaint then it's not, I'm just thinking of effects, nice mod :mrgreen:

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Mon May 11, 2009 1:56 pm

Yeah Herm and I talked at length about this last night. There is the ability to still glitch players in very certain circumstances but the vast majority of problems would be fixed. Also players can still shoot deemers out of the sky if its comnig for you.

Vatcilli

Post by Vatcilli » Mon May 11, 2009 3:05 pm

Does this mean this can give you a total movement stop in midair? (Hello to last second save falls from the top if the map in hebereke or whatever the map was named)
It's truly a nice night, On nights like these I feel like drinking blood.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Mon May 11, 2009 4:35 pm

Al let me explain it like this so anyone coming along will understand it too. Say you are mid-jump as the deemer blast hits. What will happen is all movement vector and velocity goes to zero for you until the waves pass.
As a player you will see yourself moving as normal through the air until the shockwave hits, then as the shockwave passes through you, you will float (for lack of a better term) until it is not trying to add "fling" to you. This whole thing lasts 2/3's of a second or so then you continue on as before. You aren't frozen, you can look, fire, switch weapons, trans, etc.
I've done some playtesting but I'd like to see how it behaves for you. Try getting blasted while floating (like DM-Phobos) and see if you drop or regain your original path of flight. I don't want to influence your results so let me know if you get a chance to look at it.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Mon May 11, 2009 8:13 pm

I think the only way to fully understand this would be on-line testing, since you can't tell a bot "hey bot please shoot me with a redeemer while I'm floating mid-air". Anyway it sounds like the "Matrix Moves" to me.
Plain Old Telephone Service

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Tue May 12, 2009 9:48 pm

Just for you Herm. Nothing like seeing to appreciate:

no deemer boost

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Thu May 14, 2009 11:11 am

*POTS* wrote:you can't tell a bot "hey bot please shoot me with a redeemer while I'm floating mid-air"
Try shooting the bot whilst it's floating in mid-air.
Reverse Test-ology :mrgreen:
*POTS* wrote:Anyway it sounds like the "Matrix Moves" to me.
Mmmmmmmno (is that become a catchphrase of mine? :?) The matrix moves let you hover without being pounded with a nuclear missle, that makes everyone lose their grasp on reality.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri May 15, 2009 12:35 am

This mod will be perfect on MHM. The only risk at all to a player will be when they are in flight from a jump. Just don't jump while you can hear deemers coming at you and all will be fine. AND until I test it actually even being in flight may not be an issue.

I'll get around to a private full scale test with you gopo very soon! Can we call you gopo? Do you mind? I kind of like it actually.
~Peace~

Hermskii

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Fri May 15, 2009 11:42 am

Hermskii wrote:Can we call you gopo? Do you mind? I kind of like it actually.
I usually call him gopo because I like it too, I hope it doesn't annoy him.
Plain Old Telephone Service

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Fri May 15, 2009 12:55 pm

I'll answer to most anything. My given name is Kelly, you are free to use that if nicknames aren't your taste. Being over 40 it seems a little odd to call another grown man a nickname so I generally use real names unless its on a forum. So yeah, either that or gopo, it makes no difference.