Known Bugs in UT

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
BIOMECH
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Known Bugs in UT

Post by BIOMECH » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:36 am

I rarely miss a chance to show off :mrgreen:

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:51 am

Here's the deal with trees (looked at the source code): Trees are a subclass of decoration. The decoration class has a bunch of code dedicated to taking damage and movement so you can break stuff and move items around. Some of the trees retain that code (it's not turned off) so the same thing that knocks you back when you are hit with a falling deco like a box or boulder is also happening with the tree. The game thinks the tree collided with you and knocks you back accordingly. It can be fixed but it would take a tree subclass for each one and a replacement code added to the mod. I can't think of any map that is ruined by this though, so there is no need to address it I think.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:14 pm

gopostal wrote:It can be fixed but it would take a tree subclass for each one and a replacement code added to the mod. I can't think of any map that is ruined by this though, so there is no need to address it I think.
I agree, plus JumpPad trees are so funny. :mrgreen:
Plain Old Telephone Service

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:06 am

They are, in the MHM Village you can launch off the trees near the lake and land safely in the water after returning from orbit. :)

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:12 pm

Greenish "Ghost" Player
gopostal wrote: Upon further review, it appears that the death animation didn't finish. Could be lag causing you to respawn too fast and the old player wasn't destroyed completely.

The short answer (minus a bunch of explanation) is that the game literally destroys things as they are not needed. This allows for quick changes and fast operations. However if the destroying isn't completed you get weird things happen, like if you rejoin a server fast sometimes you can see yourself still standing there.

Oh, and that greenish tinted skin? Thats really "no" skin. The placeholder for the model is still there but the texture information was flushed, resulting in it having no skin. If you look at the log you'll probably find some errors from it too.

Never-ending Teleporting Queen
One of the most annoying glitches: a Queen is stuck in the "translocating mode" and it seems like there's nothing that can awake her. Sometimes if you shoot at the Queen you may "unfreeze" her though.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:26 pm

This is actually on my list of things to work on. The problem is some maps require the translocating queen, otherwise I'd nail her hide down.
It's a problem with "states" in the AI and it is notoriously hard to fix. Probably gonna have to figure out a timer of some sort to kick her into another state if she gets stuck. This is one problem that may not have an easy solution.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:37 pm

You were not kidding when you said you could write a whole manual of related UT problems. :o

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:47 pm

Slow Downloading Files from Redirect
gopostal wrote:Quick explanation on this (totally from Herm's vast knowledge, he squared me away on it):

If you are downloading files from a server and hit one NOT on the redirect, ALL following files will then be slow sent from the server. If you disconnect and reconnect, then you can resume the fast redirect downloads so long as they are there. That is why it is so important to mirror every single file.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:04 pm

Known AnthCheker (anticheat tool) Issue
This problem is not caused by UT itself, but it's just due to a popular anticheat tool.

Those clients using the sound files of the French and Italian version of UT are falsely detected as cheaters and rejected (maybe other languages also).

Server-side Fix
You can easily change the AnthChecker settings by opening your server's ini file and changing the lines you added at the end:
bSoundCheck: set to false if you don't want to perform a crc check on the female2voice package

Client-side Fix
1 - Don't install the French, Italian, etc. patch for UT. (so stupid)
2 - Rename and/or move somewhere else the Female2Voice.ITT_UAX file (for Italians) located in your UnrealTournament\Sounds folder, so UT will be forced to use the original Female2Voice.UAX English file instead. For the French and other clients, just search for the two "Female2Voice" packages and locate the one that doesn't end just with the "UAX" suffix. (better)

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:43 pm

Fixed the queen code if any MH mappers want to use it. I might script a replacement mod if there is interest in that route. It makes the Queen stop teleporting and putting up the shield. The downside is she is a real killer now and will wear you out even on the default settings.

If anyone wants the reclass, email me.

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:44 am

I guess you mean the invulnerability phase when she teleports, because I don't know a problem with the actual shield ability.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:50 pm

Shield looks nice but serves no purpose, it just prolongs her dying. All she knows now is attacking.

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:47 pm

So does a Mercenary Shield or Brute Armor but...Okay.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:11 pm

Must you argue everything? I'm simply trying to improve things and you can do nothing but nitpick it to death. God, I am so sick of your insipid replies to everything people post up. You'd do everyone a favor by just shutting the hell up for a while. You don't bring anything positive.

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:35 pm

You have a point, I do tend to focus on the problems rather than the things that work, but to me the things that work are... well, working, so there's no real need to emphasize them.
That being said, I understand that trying to talk to me about improvements is difficult because of the way I look for problems first, then mention good things if I can't find any.
Which is probably a bad way to operate considering the number of people who complain about it. I am making points when I say things, but people seem to handle this stuff very poorly so I need another way of saying these things. Or your suggestion, of not saying it at all, which may also work.
Evidently I need to work on finding and mentioning the good things before I start to find problems, because I'm clearly getting nowhere here :wink: