The Fleshbinder

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
Blood Asp
NoMoreSpam: Silver

The Fleshbinder

Post by Blood Asp » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:50 am

Hey guys, i been working on a special monster called the Fleshbinder, its a Mercenary elder, basically better than elite and merc, it has more firing modes than the mercs before it, including a laser spray, plasma projectiles and rockets. i will post a few shots of it in action later on, i will hopefully get down to v2 soon which will include a better intelligence, and more accurate weaponry including a heat seeking rocket, maybe some better graphics for it also.

Blood Asp

Re: The Fleshbinder

Post by Blood Asp » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:17 am

what the fleshbinder looks like :)

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:53 pm

It looks just like a regular mercenary, except maybe a little redder :?

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:34 pm

A pink-green merc.. :?

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:16 pm

Fleshbinder Information:
Invul: Yes
Teleportation: Yes
Teleportation method: MercTPdest/PathNodes (You can tell me what u want and i will make it for ya based on MH/Invasion
Firing modes: Spray Laser
Homing rocket
Plasma Core Discharge
Thin Plasma Discharge
New Sounds: Yes
New Textures: Yes

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:58 pm

ok, had a chat with postal about this guy and now i have a bit better idea to get the stuff fixed, things i need to do:
  • Get his weapons to fire properly, not hitting the fleshbinder himself.

Making his rocket seek his target

Fix the laser spray textures

make him fire his flamethrower at a certain range (Posibly make it create an effect on the player which burns him temporarily lowering his hp over time)

fix a few sounds, effects and other stuff
    finalize him with sounds/textures/posibly better weapon visuals.

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:00 pm

He sounds like a walking armory :o
I'm not sure how good he would be in a fight though...

"Aha, an enemy, fire lasers!"
"Curse it, he's above me, fire rockets"
"Ah, he's not that far above me, fire flamethrower"
"Uh-oh, in the time it took me to think that he got into melee, I better use punch!"
"Hey get off me, plasma core thingy!"
"Where is he, I can't get my lasers..er..flames..something on him!"
*GLURK*

Prowner

Post by Prowner » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:30 am

Do you think that you can briefly or easily explain how to create your own monster? All I know how to do is:
Texture (Multiskins)
Damage
Size
Health
Projectile shot (Only if it already shoots projectiles, I don't know how to make pupaes shoot :lol: )
And thats about it. Oh yeah! And I really want to know how to change weapons:
Damage
Speed
and Projectile shot.
I've made the changes like that on the weapons, but it never actually does anything during the actual test...

Any explaination on any of those two things would be a good help! Thanks! :D
I will either save you or kill you, convince me otherwise.

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

1 thing i can show u for what i am doing with this monster :P I will show u the firing modes code ;)

Code: Select all

function SpawnRocket()
{
local Projectile Proj;
	local vector X,Y,Z, projStart;
	GetAxes(Rotation,X,Y,Z);

MakeNoise(1.0);
	if (FRand() < 0.2 * skill)
	{
		projStart = Location + CollisionRadius * X + 0.4 * CollisionHeight * Z;
		Proj = spawn(class 'FleshBinderProjBoom' ,self,'',projStart,AdjustAim(1000, projStart, 2000, false, true));
		if( Proj != None )
			Proj.SetPhysics(PHYS_Projectile);
		return;
	}

projStart = Location + CollisionRadius * X + 0.4 * CollisionHeight * Z;
	Proj = spawn(class 'FBPulse' ,self,'',projStart,AdjustAim(1000, projStart, 2500, false, true));
	if( Proj != None )

if (FRand() < 0.2 * skill)
	{
		projStart = Location + CollisionRadius * X + 4 * Y + 0.4 * CollisionHeight * Z;
		Proj = spawn(class 'FleshBinderRocket' ,self,'',projStart,AdjustAim(1000, projStart, 2000, false, true));
		if( Proj != None )
	}
}
This is his firing modes in Unreal Script, not curently finished and stll kinda buggy

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:16 am

It's thrilling to see people working in monster code, and it's even cooler to see interest in MH still.

Let me temper that with the fact that this monster is a mess. I've tried to talk to EA and I get "meh" as an answer. You can NOT just hodgepodge a bunch of renamed projectiles and expect them to work. As I tried to explain to EA, Uscript is based on parent-child dependency. If you reclass a merc rocket into something else (whichever one wins the random toss up in this code) you still have to deal with the original code and that is what is causing all the problems with FB. It's just too much. Like I told him, there is a reason no existing monsters have so many projectiles in UT. It's messy, laggy, and visually unappealing.

Look, take a couple of steps back, spend some time here: http://shaungoeppinger.com/tutorials.html Iniquitous has spent a great deal of time crafting some well-written tutorials on basic coding. Learn to crawl before you dodge-jump. I promise you your work will be better. And yes his stuff is for 2004 but 90% of the monster stuff is germane to UT, as well as the code structure. Ask him a question, tell him you know me, and I can promise you he will spend whatever time is needed for you to get your answer. He's that great a guy.

Also, find my impbot and you'll see how to properly reclass, recode, and re-projectile a monster. He uses a gasbag base to create a flying robot monster with both melee and ranged attacks, custom meshes, sounds, and death animations with proper machine part gibs, etc. All that takes time and you have to start in the base class and build out, not from the outer classes inwards.

EA I like your effort but until you decide to listen and not dismiss, you are going to be mired in problem after problem. I tried my best to explain to you why you are having the issues you are having. I assure you if you back up and put time in the proper base classes, you'll be richly rewarded by a nicely done project.