Time to get it right

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
gopostal

Time to get it right

Post by gopostal » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:01 pm

Just to let you guys know, I'm working on the MHM village again. Herm, I know you are otherwise engaged at the moment but I'll be getting with you about updating this map and what I have done.

The village map has been a sore point with me for a long time. I still get the occasional email about it and frankly I'm ashamed it was never finished. It remains the one thing I didn't do up right so I'd like to get it in shape before I'm done.

I'll be going through everything on the map and fixing all the stuff that needs it. I'm not taking requests to alter houses or change things so please don't submit them. This is strictly to right a grievous wrong that I created so I can not be so embarrassed at it.

Now the map will have dead city attached, it will also probably have the jet academy, the cows, and a couple other things. The cottages are probably going to get a revamp to remove some of the poly count but visually things should remain the same.

I'll keep you guys posted as to where things stand. Thanks!

Kelly

Scify

Re: Time to get it right

Post by Scify » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:37 am

If you need help. I try help you.Unlike last time.I have learn few thing now. 8)
Guess been tester off and on last four years. 8)
" If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous!"

BIOMECH
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by BIOMECH » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:37 am

I still find it weird that the choice of house shape could have such weird and deadly results...Editing is a mystery.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:29 am

Took most of the night but the village bsp errors are fixed. I'm going to remove the incoming fire academy, it creates too many extra zones, but I added some new territory and some other cool things.

Sci I'll take you up on testing. Give me a bit and I'll get with you.

Scify

Post by Scify » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:36 pm

Just ping me you ready.Ialway hidding
" If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous!"

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:00 pm

Postal instead of removing the incoming fire zone why not place them on a multiple trigger thing so u can summon whatever monster u want to dodge in only 1 location?

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:16 pm

I could but mostly its unused. It was an ok idea but it never really fleshed out the way i wanted it to be. Better to have more emphasis on the one on one part.

Sci, I'll get with you later this week. I've put another few hours in but it needs a lot of love. I haven't even looked at the code yet so its gonna be a bit.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:25 pm

Quick update:

Made sweeping changes across most every area in the map. I think I got the bsp errors completely fixed. Of all things it was the porch area on the cottages creating the problems. Most likely it was the steps being lined up with the circular pillars and roof line.

Anyhow there are a bunch of changes, but I tried to stay true to the village aspect of the map. I finished recoding everything this afternoon but I still have a couple more days work on the map before its ready to test out.

Couple of screenies-

This is under the glass enclosure that the public players can get to and request entry. I had to segregate some of the houses to lower the poly count in the main room. On the plus side, flight training is back in. Houses are still locked though and passwords will work like before.

I'll post up in a couple more days.

The main floor.

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 am

Looking good, whats your take on redoing the lighting? the main village area would look nice with some proper dynamic lighting instead of the simple zone lighting.

Would give the village more atmosphere, but im aware it could cause horrible errors, i remember trying to add dynamic lighting in the main village area on an old build and it would randomly screw up and half the map would turn invisible. But that could of just been because of the high poly cottages.

Also about locking the houses, i personally think its best to have them unlocked because it pisses off random players that want to explore the map :lol: your call though.
-------.[ ]
---- -//|::|\\
----////| .|\\\\ <- 2 times the arms 2 times the awesomeness!
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:00 am

I started to do all that but originally this map was meant to be for the private use of the MHM people, so I'm going to finish it that way. There is nothing stopping anyone from altering as they see fit though when it's done. I only want to get this to where I wanted it in the first place.

Lighting is one of my really weak design points. Someone could do way better than I can. In fact I quickly see new mappers surpass me in design creation. Hellfy for instance was past me in visual creation very quickly, maybe by his second map. My strengths lie in technical design. I can see a problem and work out the solution. In a way fixing the village right will give you guys a canvas to do what you want.

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:58 am

Wowwwwww... :o :)

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:28 pm

If u would like m8 i will do a few lighting fixes and stuffs to it for ya

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:07 pm

I think you guys should work all together; HellFire could help making movers and textures, Supreme could add a good skybox and take care of lighting with Elemental, and Elemental could be of help for misaligned textures and decos. What do you think? Some of the most popular MH maps have been "co-op projects" after all.
Plain Old Telephone Service

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:26 pm

or maybe we should all create a new map for MHM with as many MHM Mappers contribution each :P

Would be alot of work and will need alot of communication and teamwork but i think if anyone can do it it would be the MHM Squad hehe ;)

we will have to see who would like to do a part of the map if we were to do it.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:32 pm

I appreciate the offers, but very few "collaboration" projects ever go anywhere. Usually it ends up in argument or disarray. I'm nearly done with the rough part, it will be ready to bug test probably in a day or two. I still need to server test the mods as they are all packaged together now.

Pots are you still up for bughunting? I'll post the map for you to play if you want to make me a list of the trouble spots.