UT99 - Its FUTURE and the Direction to take?...

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
Hook
NoMoreSpam: Silver
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Several members of the UT99 community have said that UT99 is dying or is dead or is???
We have been hearing this for MANY years. - Way TOO MANY Years! :roll:
This is ONE of the things, and the MAIN thing, that kills ANY game - or anything for that matter! :roll:

*That said and to get on with it* ...
Here is what I think is happening and what we need to do. :wink:

UT99 is NOT dying and will NOT die - Not at HUTP or Hermskii's! :wink:
We will just keep consolidating all of the UT99 players here and at at HUTP - as OTHER sites decide to die. :wink:

Many say we need more Mods (Gametypes) that are exciting and different.
I also disagree with further gametype development. :shock:
So far, all I see is the gametypes splitting up the UT community into smaller and smaller divisions.
UT99 is becoming More Diverse instead of More United. :|
We gotta stop this!
Look at this and you'll see how many gametypes UT99 currently has.
At the time I looked moments ago... 98 mods, 1,865 players, 2,554 servers
:arrow: http://gaming.dslreports.com/utmaster/
NO - we don't need to throw more mods at UT! :roll:
We need to PLAY UT and Keep Making more exciting Maps for UT99. :idea:
We need to Come BACK Together into a more Homogenized and United UT99! :wink:
98 gametypes??? - Nice but most cannot even SEE them in the UT browser - as I was saying before! :roll:
We are Hiding all the players behind those walls!
That turns me off - I don't even want to get into all those different versions! :shock:
Sure make SOME enhancements but don't make them incompatible and daunting to the mainstream and new players of UT99.
* YES - there are a LOT of New Players of UT99 coming on board! *
Let's get back to Basics with UT! :mrgreen:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

MEAT

Re: UT99 - Its FUTURE and the Direction to take?...

Post by MEAT » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Okay here is my 2 cents but it’s only worth about half that.
The present and future of UT99 is obvious…it’s dying or to be politically correct let’s just say “it’s not as popular”.
Yearly/monthly/daily statistics will show you that. It’s a fact that each year less and less people are playing.
And it’s like anything in life, something new/better comes along, we move along and the old die or “it’s not as popular” anymore.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t keep playing. We have a lot of dedicated players and admins out there that will keep it somewhat alive. And as long as we all have UT99 CDs we can play forever.
And talking or not talking about it isn’t going to hurt or kill UT’s quantity of players or quality of life. ..so let’s talk about it.
Presently I see way to many dead servers…dead meaning no players. And what servers are busy are few and in between.
And those servers that are busy are because of clans, friendships, comfort…whatever. And those people are not venturing out to other server…they like what they have. And it’s the same with CG, MRS, MHM, CMM…etc…we all have our “following”.
And a lot of our “following” frequent and are shared with each other’s server. In other words JoePlayer plays all our servers.
Now the question is how do we keep JoePlayer interested in our servers? And being that UT99 is ten years old and not widely available… another question could be how do we get those not playing our servers (those playing Sniper or whatever) interested in our servers? What I do and it’s something Hook mentioned was adding new maps. I’m always adding new maps and I’m always advertising it. I think it keeps people interested. I also frequent other forums, that do allow me, and I advertise my server. When I first built my server I was all over the net advertising my server and Hermskii’s forum. I had tons of players, once the word got out, trying my server trying Redeemer.
Another idea, which Hook disagrees with, is adding new mods if needed to attract players. Again we have 100’s of dead servers because they are all alike…they have the same maps, the same weapons, the same mod setup. I think people get bored with same and want something different, better or unique in setup. And again UT “the franchise” and other games have evolved and have gotten better with time. And to do nothing is not a good way to attract or keep people playing UT99 or your server for that matter.
We all get bored and move on…but I will say, too many mods is a bad thing and can kill a server. Simplicity with a hint of difference is key is server makeup.
So, where do we go from here…should we buy UT2010 and move on or as Hook suggests Unit and if so how do we do that?
Beats me. As for now I’ll keep doing what I do until I get bored or Hermskii kicks me to the curb.
Sure I’d like to find a new game but I’m to lazy…plus anything new means I’ll sux at it…lol

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:00 am

One thing - I am Not against new mods really, but I am against major new gametypes or even just new gametypes.
These turn me off.
They further diversify UT99 and scatter the players behind walls of compatibility, etc. :roll:
Interesting new mods? - Those are fine! :wink: I agree with that.
I should have reworded it in the above post.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:53 am

I read Hook's part. I'll have to come back to MEAT's part. Interesting subject here and I guess I had never really noticed how UT can possibly kill itself by having too much diversity. I agree but I think the basic gametypes with mods is good and good enough to keep UT from fragmenting so much that it dies. Everything dies eventually but UT won't decades to come.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook

Post by Hook » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:35 am

Hermskii wrote:I read Hook's part. I'll have to come back to MEAT's part. Interesting subject here and I guess I had never really noticed how UT can possibly kill itself by having too much diversity. I agree but I think the basic gametypes with mods is good and good enough to keep UT from fragmenting so much that it dies. Everything dies eventually but UT won't decades to come.
YES, this is what I am talking about. Thanks Herm! :wink:
You are one of the Loyal PRO-moters of UT99! :D

And YES, just "Saying" UT is Dead or Dying as SOME people are can and does really turn people off of playing it or even giving it a try. :evil:
So DON'T even Say (post) it! :|
I think that is actually doing the most damage lately!
And I am SICK of it!
Yes, Hook can get pissed off! :roll:

I am sick of people that have been "disappointed" some how with UT and then they go telling the rest of us "Loyal" players and PRO-moters that it is dead or dying.
It is ONLY dead to those who say it is and or are leaving it - that is ALL - Not the rest of us!

Why, even people that run UT99 servers have said that it is dead or dead soon! :shock:
They shouldn't be saying that and they shouldn't be running servers then either!
- Maybe they should shut their servers down then and let the rest of us Promote UT99 instead of nay saying and dismissing it. :wink:

When a dog is sick do you say "It is dying so let it be"???
NO - Some of us say "Pick that poor dog up and let's bring it to the Vet and Cure it! - It has a lot of years left in it so it is definitely worth the effort! - It is Great dog indeed"!

Tell people the Truth - That it is still going strong with the active community of dedicated followers behind it that Welcome New players!!!
That yes some of the disloyal players have left, but many come back and there is still a good many players that will still be playing and also, quite a few NEW players are showing up every day!
This is what we should be telling people, because THAT is what is REALLY happening!!!
NOT that it is "dead" or "dying"! :|
Because it won't until ALL of us say it is, - so quit already! :roll:
Gad-Zooks!!! :?

Feralidragon

Post by Feralidragon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:22 am

Hook, first of all your source isn't reliable. It doesn't show 98 UT99 gametypes, it shows gametypes from all the UT series, and even other UEngine based games (like Tactical Ops), so there isn't that many different gametypes.
The existing gametypes for UT99 are only:
- Death Match
- Team Death Match
- Last Man Standing
- Capture The Flag
- Monster Hunt
- Monster Arena
- Siege
- Bunny Track
- Onslaught (although highly badly coded and produced, so it's not played at all)
- Vehicle Capture The Flag (the same as above)

And if we consider certain MUTATORS or MODS to be so innovative to call them gametypes, then we also have:
- StrangeLove
- Zark
- Rocket-X
- Camping Sniper
- Funnel
- Redeemer Arena
- Instagib CTF
- Instagib DM

So, here I count 18 gametypes, NOT 98. Plus, most of them are fixing together making even less DIFFERENT gametypes.

It's not mods fault, actually mods is which are keeping UT alive. Go to gametracker and see the Top10 servers, and you will see only 1 has still the classic gameplay: Face Only Server, the rest are mods: Siege, RX, SLV, BT, etc.

So don't argue "too many mods" because are those which are indeed keeping UT alive and the proof is there.

Plus, UT is really dying, not overall, but regarding multiplayer. Ok, relative to other 10 year old games UT is kicking, but in absolute terms there are way less people than even 1 year ago, and that has been proven.

And I agree with Hook until the extent of the mods. Mods can get people in but also can get people out of the game, and nowadays what I have seen is that people have their heads confused: I mean, they want new mods, but they don't want the old one to go away. I have seen that is 70% of the servers. People brag about change this and that, and when it's changed, they want the old again, and those transitions kill indeed slowlly the remaining active players in UT.

That's why I took a decision myself: since I like to develop, but since players don't know what they want in multiplayer and neglect the fact that UT is loosing more players than which is getting, I will develop for single player only, since that way I get a job that can be played in anytime, but anyone, drama free and people always apreciate new SPs, while in MP is the reverse, and also since I am seeing more and more the remaining active coders/mappers trying to do something good, and then getting bashed by ones and loved by others, then none of both sides play or give the due feedback that the coder/mapper needs, but fact is, only in servers and multiplayer communities (and I am active in many of those, so I know).

So as for me, I will continue playing it, and we at our site are starting to build something to general community to get back and get motivated and try to reverse this situation, but as Hook said, the game it's not worth of any new multiplayer mods in the meanwhile, it's sad, but truth, and there's proof everywhere in every recently released mod. But again, I am another developer that won't do anything more than support the already existing multiplayer stuff, instead I will dedicate my time to do something that will take more time but that will worth that time to make: a pure and plain SP.

Just my 2 cents

Hook

Post by Hook » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:10 pm

Feralidragon, (and other nay-sayers) - yes, I stand corrected about those Original figures and its source - NO Matter!
I have already hashed that out on other sites also. :roll:

At this (posting) moment, it still ranks UT99 at 18th of all games at GameTracker!
That is GOOD! :shock: wow
And, with 696 servers running and almost 800 players. (more than enough)
Not bots as they don't count bots on GameTracker - and they do Not count owners of Home based servers either. (that adds a bunch more)
This is on a Wednesday early afternoon! :shock: (near 1:00 pm my time CST)
Many times I see between 1,000 and 1,500 players (UT99) on MY browser on weekends and especially on Holidays! :P
But then again - I may have a few more Working MasterServers on my UT99 install than many of you.

The top games? DM, CTF and some common custom weapons and a few Arenas.
A good mix.

Honestly, I don't see that much (IF any) decline, really! 8)
I have seen these figures (or close to it) for the past few years.
Very minimal change at the most.

I have been very active and enthusiastic about UT99 since they put out the Demo!
I have watched it and participated in it closely over all those years.
I see what I see. :wink:

Again - No matter!
Feralidragon - You said what you said -> The cup is Half Empty!
(You just Keep telling people it is dead or dying <-NOT!!! - Saying that is what IS killing it!!!)

BUT - I said what I said and stand by it!!! -> The Cup is Half FULL I say!
ALSO, at ANY Rate ( and right or wrong) - as long as there are even just a few players in the distant future - WE will still keep going strong at HUTP and here at Hermskii's!
AND - What I said above I think STILL STANDS! :P :wink:

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:39 am

UT99 is a relic, and like relics, it will be lost for a long time, but some time in the future someone will rediscover it, and it will live once again.

It will more than likely die, and recover. Most people are beginning to move over to UT2004 tho, but surprisingly not many people are going to UT3... well actually thats not really surprising since UT3 is useless on gameplay and tho the graphical detail is better people still dont much care for it.

UT99 will eventually need it's final R.I.P, Thats why i have started my server up to UT2004 now instead of UT99.

Though theres still things to test on my server in UT99 and i still have a map to release, it will be finished eventually.

Hook

Post by Hook » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:26 am

First of all - UT99 will NOT die until WE Say it is dead and WE stop playing it.
That is the ONLY way it will die! :wink:
No one can contest that!

Secondly, How many people out there know that there is a totally Awesome "HIT and Award Winning" Game that can be had for virtually a song?
Very few I bet! :|
I have chatted (Recently) with a good number of players of UT99 that told me they are New to UT99 and that they are amazed at this 10 year old game and how much fun it is and how Good it is.
Most of them have said that they picked up UT99 at a Thrift Store of some kind and usually for about $3.00 (US).
On E-Bay also.
Some said they were told about it and DL'd the Demo and patched it to 436.

We need to get the word out there to all these people that do not even know about UT99.
For $3 a pop, we should be handing them out as Stocking Stuffers for Christmas!
I push UT99 where ever I go!
That is what we should be doing. :mrgreen:

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

I got mine as part of an Anthology, I was just in it for UT2004 and Unreal 1... :P

Hook

Post by Hook » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:18 pm

BIOMECH wrote:I got mine as part of an Anthology, I was just in it for UT2004 and Unreal 1... :P
Yes, that "UT Anthology" package you got is the best!
I have that advertised on my UT Site. :wink:
You get 4 games...
Unreal - Return to Napali
Unreal Tournament - Game Of The Year edition (GOTY)
Unreal 2
Unreal Tournament 2004

Awesome package!

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:19 am

Wouldn't it be great if EPIC came out with an anniversary edition on UT99?
There is just so much we can do to help regenerate this DYING game and all EPIC
would have to do is maybe throw in some new packaging and pics.
Maybe I'll design some new packaging in the meantime...?

Hook

Post by Hook » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:58 am

MEAT wrote:Wouldn't it be great if EPIC came out with an anniversary edition on UT99?
There is just so much we can do to help regenerate this NOT-DYING game and all EPIC
would have to do is maybe throw in some new packaging and pics.
Maybe I'll design some new packaging in the meantime...?
Yes, it just needs Advertising.
Let's RE-Market UT99!!!

PS: I know of somebody right now who is Looking Into the rights to Re-Market UT99. :P

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:29 pm

I Am gonna be very evil right now and say to UT99 it's own (Famous?) taunt :P

"Die B!tch!"

Hook

Post by Hook » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:00 pm

EA_Elemental wrote:I Am gonna be very evil right now and say to UT99 it's own (Famous?) taunt :P

"Die B!tch!"
What is this meant for? :roll: