Attn Herm, MH players...

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
BIOMECH
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Attn Herm, MH players...

Post by BIOMECH » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:57 pm

Whadda ya know, old can mean wise after all! :D

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:06 pm

I started work on a better map for this. I changed the level music to a better explanation of the mod and I'm currently scripting a crippled version of Mayhem that will run on a DM server. You will be able to see the bells and whistles, though they won't necessarily work. At first I wanted to actually have monsters and stuff in the map but I'm not sure if I'll go all out like that. Perhaps a preview is enough to get interest.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:55 pm

Little update: Got MH running on a DM server ftw :twisted:

Check it out, tell me if you think it's a decent way to intro the mod to DM players.

68.232.163.90:7777

Most everything works, and I'm reasonably sure I could make it fully functional if I really wanted to.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:58 pm

While I have not yet but plan to check it out. I have no doubt you could make it fully functional. I guess I better check it out then. Here I go. Damn, I hate trying new stuff out or going off-base as they say but I think this is really important!
~Peace~

Hermskii

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:41 am

A gateway map? Hmmm...

Anyhow, you say it's the map music?
Ah. As far as I know, most competitive gametype players have their music turned off.. Hearing music seems to be unique to a portion of MH players.

This next bit is tricky as we've...had our disagreements...in the past. So, not wanting to cause any offence but lacking the diplomatic skills that come with age, I'm going to put this simply. I like Hermskii's corridor idea best :oops:

Uh, that is to say...
In my opinion, hub maps are too open ended to make effective tutorials, and the Gateway doesn't offer enough room for practical demonstration. Now, this may sound a little rich coming from someone with as little mapping/coding experience as me, but I prefer the idea of a stage by stage corridor with signs, of the scrolling variety if possible. Explanations first, then maybe some sort of 'airlock' rooms in between monster rooms with a description of the next monster.

"The next creature is the Gasbag. It has moderate health and can fly but is slow in the air. They breathe fireballs with no splash damage and can easily dodge rockets, so keep moving and use a fast-hitting weapon. Have fun!"

Or...something like that...

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:04 am

You are too funny Bio. It is nice though to see that maturity in your thoughts. Well said, and nicely done.

This portal map is going to occur in stages for lack of a better explanation. Up until yesterday I wasn't sure just how far I could squeeze MH to fit into a DM server. I'm pleasantly surprised that it will run, and run nicely with a few tweaks. This actually begs the question of what you could do with this now, but that's another project for another day.

The whole point I'd like to make with this is to get Joe Random DM player to join the server out of curiosity, see all this HUD stuff, and become intrigued by it enough to try a portal. I've watched random players join the server and almost all completely skip any sort of "readme" texture and just take off exploring the map. You have to remember these are DM players, where sitting still doesn't happen.

Sadly you are correct about the music, but I'm struggling with how to convey information in a way that is both palatable and entertaining. Perhaps a sequence of Portal-style graphics as you go deeper into the map, each advancing the idea with a key point? Dang I just don't know.

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:26 am

So long as the map is linear they shouldn't wander off too much. Maybe the signs, or a button near them, could open the doors to the next area when shot. "Read the sign on the left, then shoot this button". If they get badly mauled by monsters they might just pay more attention to the signs.

The problem lies in stopping them rushing around and shooting eachother while ignoring the signs and getting confused by monsters. The on-screen announcements might be great for this but I noticed one of the server mods pushes them up into the top-left corner of the screen. I can't think of more ways to explain it to players, but maybe once they open the door and get a pupae to the face they will begin to get the idea.

Hmmmm.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:53 am

Behold!

BIOMECH and GOPO have had a discussion and there were survivors! I need a tissue to wipe the tears away. Very nice dialog gentlemen! Keep it up.

I VERY MUCH like the direction this is going. I think we need to be careful though because I know I'm making assumprions already and my mind is jumping way ahead into the future with ideas that will cost others lots of hard work. I'm namely thinking about GOPO and the poor mapper that will have to put all of this DM-To-MH-Portal-Map.unr map together.

I think we (that means YOU according to my wife) should start small. GOPO will jump first with concept map. I think we already know and have proof that the poor DM player is going to rush the new gametype being MH and so we will have to discuss and develope the best way to prevent that.

Let's lower expectations immediately of each other and just get phase 1 working which we'll call a poral map that throws them in to the MH world. I say let GOPO go on with free will towards this goal. Meanwhile, let's continue to discuss the best way to set up the ultimate introduction to MH map!
~Peace~

Hermskii

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:45 pm

Hermskii is celebrating because we've gone 3 posts without arguing? That's gotta be a bad sign :o