Remove from favorites?

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Remove from favorites?

Post by Hermskii » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:49 pm

I don't now what is going on but I'm finding after letting my son play UT my favorites all loaded up with a crap load of other servers. I normally only list my servers in my favorites and those are the only ones that list in my UT check or should. After my boy plays a few hours and I come back to check the player levels on my servers I find 12 4 - 12 more in my list all of the sudden. Then I have to go back and remove them. This happens nearly daily and I'm getting mad.

Here is what I'm ready to find out: Is there a way that just connecting to certain servers is having them added to my favorites because my kid is only 5 and I don't think he knows how to do it himself?

If I find out that these servers are pushing themselves into my favorites, I will block them out and never assist one of their admins again!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Blood Asp

Re: Remove from favorites?

Post by Blood Asp » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:52 pm

KillerBee's servers force themselves into your favourites, as soon as u start playing it just goes BAM straight to ur favourites, ALL of his servers.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:03 pm

And that was the main list of servers I suspected. Sorry KillerBee, I have to block out your servers from my son and he loves them but while I understand the the "why" a server admin would want to do this, I personally am against it because it pushes to hard to get recognition. It is unsolicited and forces me to take actions I should not have to take. I feel like it is like buying and installing a HP printer. Good luck not getting 15 other programs you never asked for when you install it when all you wanted was the drivers that make it work. These should be advertised and not installed by default unless requested to be installed during the setup by the user. I don't like being forced to do anything.

I will speak with KillerBee personally. Thank you!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Confirmed. First I have sent an email to killerbee about this. 2. I think this is bigger than killerbee now that I see what actually happens.

This new "Add to favorites against my will" mod or code or whatever it is does the following "so far":

It adds 9 unsolicited servers into my favorites.

All of these 9 servers all use 1 of 3 IP addresses with different ports.

If you, like me, don't like or want this to happen when you connect to any of the 9 servers block the following IP addresses:

Blocking these IP addresses will make these servers unplayable unfortunately but the sovereignty of your Favorites will remain intact! I have asked killerbee to respond here on this this forum/topic to the email I sent him in regards to me being against this forced advertising.
~Peace~

Hermskii

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi,

finaly i get all attention i like that :lol:

The whole overwelmd story started by a PM message from Okee
He was - after the mod is on for 1 year - sending me a request
to take it off.

I gave him the anserw that i was suprised that someone disliked it.
Because he was the first, and otherwise NO ONE complained about it.

for some reason that player, couldnt let it go, and maked a topic below

http://www.ut99.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... =killerbee

Also i received an email today to take it off from Hermskii.

I found it important to investigate it, and i did some poll about the auto adding.
the last weeks.

I send an email to my members with he question to take it off yes ore no.
Still a pitty that the most dont responding on it .
Here are the results.

11 people did like it. 3 people dont.....

Its nice to see that people play around here on my servers, its good that people have a good time.

I never thought a mod could make such a discussions.

Greetz

KB

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:49 am

I have to say it annoys me as well, as my favorites is used for the few servers I actually want to play on. Every time I join a KB server my tab is filled with about 8 servers I don't want, and it gets on my nerves; I don't want to search through my favorites tab for the servers I want...

It turns into a case of "there a players on the server, but can I be bothered to manually delete a list of names, one at a time, trying to avoid the servers I like"?
Generally, I avoid them altogether.

It's not just me being lazy either, the idea of servers adding themselves to my favorites without asking me just irritates me on a moral level. It's like a weapon which takes up every 2nd slot on my HUD. Um, interesting, but I still want to use my other weapons sometimes.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:19 am

I really like KB, heck of a nice guy, but I've about quit playing there. Removing the favorites so they don't autoload into my server checker has just become too big a pain in the butt. Sorry KB. Nothing but love for you and your crew but I need to watch the servers I help and not have to constantly remove so many favorite adds from servers I don't ever play on.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:48 am

I was pleased to see that when I went to the link in killerbee's reply that GOPO had already beaten me to the punch in regards to complaining directly (with respect) to KB just as I was doing, did and will continue to do. Take a look at what I put on this topic over at this other forum.

I think I pretty much covered it and feel that if that isn't enough to get him to stop using this process he has then blocking my install from seeing or connecting to his servers is what I'll have to do. Ithink I had seen where HOOK had already been there too complaining about this. I'm shocked it wasn't discussed here before I said something. I feel very strongly that his method of adding his servers to my favorites is very bad for UT. I don't think I have ever approached another Server Admin and complained about their server(s) but this crossed the line for me and something needed to be said.
~Peace~

Hermskii

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:38 am

Hi all,

last night i talked on MHM3, and some people think its a better idea
to only add the current server where u just connected to.
I did a test just to see and it works...

tonight i will change it all..

mzzl

KB
Last edited by killerbee on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:54 am

Hermskii wrote:I was pleased to see that when I went to the link in killerbee's reply that GOPO had already beaten me to the punch in regards to complaining directly (with respect) to KB just as I was doing, did and will continue to do. Take a look at what I put on this topic over at this other forum.

I think I pretty much covered it and feel that if that isn't enough to get him to stop using this process he has then blocking my install from seeing or connecting to his servers is what I'll have to do. Ithink I had seen where HOOK had already been there too complaining about this. I'm shocked it wasn't discussed here before I said something. I feel very strongly that his method of adding his servers to my favorites is very bad for UT. I don't think I have ever approached another Server Admin and complained about their server(s) but this crossed the line for me and something needed to be said.
Can u maybe edit ure text on that other forum, on this way we blow things skyhigh
and thats not needed, i dont like to be crucified this way, we all can talk normal i gues.

The mod will be changed, asap.

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:03 pm

omg.......
I know not everybody likes the ''auto-add'' function but Killerbee knows that by now, he already said he takes it off or changes it so why keep going on with this.
Not my server but even I get annoyed of it since I know KB is a good guy..
If people suggest mods or anything he is happy to add them..
How many times everyone needs to hear he's gonna CHANGE IT.

I'm feeling better now.. :wink:

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi again,

I have changed all servers now.

Lets PLAY ON! :D

KB

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:15 pm

Hermskii wrote: http://www.ut99.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... =killerbee
"The thread has been deleted" hmm? :?

Anyway KB made a poll a few weeks ago and I was one of those who suggested him to disable the "auto-add" mod. I don't mind that much of this mod since I don't have too many servers saved in my favourites, but I knew some players might not like it. I also think just auto-adding the server in which you actually have been playing could be an idea.

Maybe instead of making a private poll just among the KB members it would have been best to make a public announcement on his forum. It's quite obvious if you're a member of KB's you like having the servers of your community listed in your favourites.

Just my two cents.

[Edit]
OK nvm forget about this.
Plain Old Telephone Service

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:24 pm

Use the top link otherwise known as the first one to get to the other forum. killerbee has handled this and I am done complaining. He has resolved the issue so this is a dead topic now I hope. Peace all!
~Peace~

Hermskii

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:33 pm

Looks like everything is fine now, very good. Have a nice day folks!
Plain Old Telephone Service