Expletive removal.... ?? How To...

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
Sir Mandrake
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Expletive removal.... ?? How To...

Post by Sir Mandrake » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:48 am

Hey I have a situation. I have a Nephew that wants to play on my server but I'm reluctant because I forgot about the expletive it puts out when you get the numerous multi-kills. The one I'm mostly concerned with is the "Holy" one. How hard is it to replace the words and the audio from the Mod? I too try to enforce clean chatter and fair play on my server but if the server is spewing out expletives its kind of counter productive and Ill feel much better having my younger nephew play without the strong expletive screaming from his PC.

Anyone got any suggestions???

I'm willing to try and change the mod myself if i can since I do like to mess with that sort of thing... just need a quick know how and a general direction.

Edit: The word "Expletive" misspelled way too many times. :roll:
Last edited by Sir Mandrake on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
--- END OF LINE ---

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: Expletive removal.... ?? How To...

Post by Hermskii » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:21 am

I had gotten GOPO to do a mod for me where the cussing was removed. He did a great job on it. I can send you what I have. I also use a tool that removes the cussing from chat. I can send it to you too and help you set it up. It has been a long time since I did it so expect a couple road blocks but other than that it should be no problem.

I'll start getting my hands dirty again with all of this UT stuff since I'm contemplating starting up another server. It will run the ChaosUT mod but I'm discussing it with many folks right now about whether to run it for UT or UT2004. I prefer the UT2004 version but not too many people actually own UT2004 and everyone here has UT so it looks like I'll go with the older UT version which is still a blast!

I'm also thinking of another kind of server using Killerbee's mod and then there is FerilDragon's latest release which is also awesome. I don't have time to get all consumed as I usually would so I have to do some good thinking about all of it first and then start small and work towards getting it done.

So let me know if I can help you. I'll be happy to send over mods and try to support your effort.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Sir Mandrake

Re: Explicatve removal.... ?? How To...

Post by Sir Mandrake » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:35 am

Great! Thank you Herm I'd like to look at those Mods you mentioned by GoPo. In the past he was always telling me to let him know of any changes Id like to make but never got a chance to take him up on that offer since I was still ironing out some server details.

I own every version of UT to date. The UT2004 one sounds interesting. Looks like 2011 will be an exciting year for the Hermskii :P

Also, to add .. Unimatrix01 has been up a while now and was considering a few new twists and turns to liven things up .. just dont know what yet lol

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:46 am

Will do. Is your email you registered with valid? I'll send you an email tonight when I get home. I need to take a look at your server too. I want to see what it does and does not do right now. Maybe we'll get to play tonight!

I have to Christmas shop tonight and make a dish for a pot-luck lunch here at work tonight first. Maybe we need to put this off until tomorrow night.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Sir Mandrake

Post by Sir Mandrake » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:11 pm

Yep, the email is my personal one and is valid. Feel free to send me anything there.
Im at work as well so tonight will work, but I am set to go shopping tomorrow.. lol maybe we can hold off till after the holidays since things seem to be getting busier this week.

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:26 pm

I may be interested in that mod also.
I have "PirateTalk" (by Gopo - ripped from Bodens) that takes care of the UT chat, but not the Announcer stuff.
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:55 pm

If I can just say, take some caution when setting that up. If it's set up too high it starts breaking up otherwise innocent phrases.

Highlight the area between the <> signs for explanation. The forum could use spoiler tags for this kind of thing.

<>
"At least this one has sentience"
(Letters 2 and 3 of has and the first letter of sentience)

"I make my own minigames"
(Finds a racist term from characters 3-6 of the last word)

"Annoying snipers hitting me"
(Last letter of snipers and first 3 letters of hitting)

<>

Speaking from experience, having something censor you when you don't deserve it is very annoying.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks BIOMECH. Let me be clear; I just use Server Adds to block cussing in game on the servers and as far as the mod from GOPO goes, it doesn't block cussing but it is rewritten to remove the "Holy you know what" remark out of the multi-kill audio that plays when you start killing plenty of stuff. As I recall, there is actually an option to just turn all of those either off or maybe just that one is removed. I'll have to investigate it.

I think the mod I had from BIGI first removed the cussing announcer announcements. GOPO ripped that part and put it into his mod which I requested he build for me and is what I'm using now.

I have a word censor here too on the forum I think. I don't know if it is on but is has the same list of words to be changed to [expletive deleted] if ever typed. I don't know if it works since I never cuss and the peeps that "did" usually spelled the words differently enough to bypass the detection mechanism.

BIOMECH is right too. If set to strong, a simple phrase like at the end of the game like "go ahead and finish it" would be blocked due to the last 4 characters of that statement. It is very annoying. Maybe I'll just have to allow that word on the servers to avoid the problem. No, I'd rather have the problem.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:44 pm

Did I ever finish this with you Sir Mandrake?
~Peace~

Hermskii

Sir Mandrake

Post by Sir Mandrake » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:29 am

How did I miss this? LOL

No we never touched base on this again. Its ok... you were busy with your new servers and I was busy with Unimatrix01 as well adjusting some things, so its all good.
--- END OF LINE ---

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:02 pm

Were you going to dig into the code and see what he did? Like I said, I can send you the mod itself and you can rip out anything you want as he says that everything he does is always free for anyone to do anything they want with. GOPO is really swell that way.
~Peace~

Hermskii