S3TC Textures again...

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: S3TC Textures again...

Post by Hermskii » Thu May 26, 2011 10:31 am

Here is a thought for you then. Copy your original back over the new install so you'll be right back where you srarted except you'll still have a copy of it on your desktop. Now, just grab the textures files from the download you just got from me. Copy them into your texture folder. Not a folder over a folder but textures into textures. No you have your old install with all of the new textures! Best of both worlds. You already know the newer version of these textures work!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Thu May 26, 2011 1:10 pm

If Dave's S3TC textures have been working all this time, then he must have installed them correctly in the first place? - right?
Dave, you haven't had any freeze or skating player problems right?
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

David

Post by David » Thu May 26, 2011 1:13 pm

In the past, I did have some skating players but I have not seen them for a long time.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Fri May 27, 2011 10:38 am

Hmmm - that is good. (a good sign)
I just thought of another map that some people have had frozen player / skating player problems with.
Try out DM-Moribund on CMM and CLD.
MEAT used to freeze in it all the time. (but that could be for some other reasons LOL) :lol:

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat May 28, 2011 11:57 pm

I tried it a little while ago and was frozen I hate to say. The same for a map called DM-GoldenCity.

Looks like I'm back to the drawing board to determine whic file(s) is doing it to me this time.

It also hit me recently that people who install the files to their UT install that they get using cache cleaners and such could over-write the S3TC version of that file and they would start to get the skating player/freeze thing. Provided I can determine what is causing the problem with this latest issue those people who use cache cleaner would have to re-over-write the S3TC textures into their texture folder each time they added new textures just to make sure they don't use one of the originals. Actually now that I think of it, I'm wrong. They would install regular testures which would work but would not be high res anymore.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun May 29, 2011 9:56 am

OK

Now I'm all confused. I grabbed a copy of the original textutes and overwrote them into my texture folder and connected to these maps with no trouble. I slowly added back all of the S3TC textures with no problem including the GenEarth.utx and had zero issues. They looked and worked great. Especially the intro movie you see when UT starts up if you haven't changed those settings yet.

This morning, I started from scrath. It went like this:

Install UT from UT CD #1
Install 436 NoDelta Patch
Install Bonus Pack 1
Install Bonus Pack 3
Install Bonus Pack 4
Install specifically modified OpenGLdrv.dll
Change renderer to OpenGL
Set OpenGL renderer to use S3TC textures
Install all original UT CD #2 S3TC textures
Install DIEHARD's extra UT CD #2 S3TC textures ( none of them are on UT CD #2 though)
Install all of DIEHARD's "High End" package of S3TC textures
Start and play game on a network server.

It went perfectly. I played on DM-KillingFields, DM-GoldenCity and DM-Moribund without any issues. Now I'm mad I had any issue at all last night when I first joined. I even used DIEHARD's latest version of GenEarth.utx which had given me trouble before to the point I had to reinstall the original version from UT CD #1 to be able to play online on servers playing a map using the "grass" texture which this texture is.

All of that said, I'm willing to once again say that right now I think that if you install these testures per my ReadMe that comes in S3TC-Installation package I have created, you should not have any issues. As always, I may be wrong and won't know until you try it, identify an issue and report it here. That's all for now people! CYA!
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:54 am

Well I finally got around to downloading this very latest set of textures. I did NOT start over from scratch. I have already done all the fixing and stuff. I DID use the OpenGLDrv.dll file that comes with the set. I backed up my texture set and overwrote the new textures into the UT folder. I went online to MHM and looked at some wood textures on MH-Kittara. They were still good. So I called up one of the maps that always crashed my game: "MH-Family Bonds fix". And surprise, surprise it worked. NO CRASH.

It took a while to do all this, and it's late now. When I can remember some of the names of the other maps that caused crashes or froze me in place, I'll test those also.

But so far so good. :D

LATER: I am wondering if the problem I had all along though, was with that GenEarth.utx file. I noticed that the grass no longer looks as nice as it did. In fact it looks like the kind you see when you just have the standard texture set installed. So I compared file sizes. The GenEarth.utx file that looks so awesome, and probably was what caused all of the problems, is 103Mb in size. The replacement file is 5.89Mb in size. The GenEarth file in the CD1 Textures folder supplied with the download that is identical to the one on the original CD, is also 5.89Mb in size. One suspects that they are the same thing.

Tomorrow I will put back the 103 Mb file and see if MH-Family Bonds crashes my game. Then I'll know if that huge file was indeed the culprit behind all of the problems I had, or not. ;)
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:01 am

Go back up and start from the top. I know I first reported it to be a problem but after a clean install and even using all of the S3TC skins, not using the S3TCFix.exe and using the bigger version of that file you just menetioned, everything on my system works flawlessly. I'm even about to install the "extreme" high res textures that Diehard made to see how they look. Yes, that one texture is the grass texture. Download and play the DM-Coke map. Go up to the roof and look at the grass with the small GenEarth.utx and then install the new one and look again. The grass is the biggest difference I see with the high res textures as compared to the standard ones.

Let us know how it goes.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:35 am

Right you are Herm. So I put the large texture back in and can still play MH-Family Bonds, so I guess everything else will be ok too, hopefully. 8)

This texture set is worth the download folks. Not all textures are improved, but those that are look really awesome, like you would or should see on a modern game. As I've said before in other threads, I get killed sometimes because I stopped to admire one of the new improved textures that I had not noticed before. :lol:

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm using S3TC LowEnd for my client, I have support in server and I can play very nice.
If you suspect a texture as being original not modified at high resolution, you can do a file compare to see if your texture is or not the same like S3TC version. Someone told about Dm-Deck as appearing not so changed. He was dissapointed. But, never mind I play usually only MH and I can see what is mean S3TC, except custom craps.

About S3fix.exe, I advice you to not use that package, use only textures dated 2010. S3fix.exe is fixing Ancient.utx, but is not the single problem. If you play Andromeda Ancients you can see another problem in file XbpFX.utx at some blueaura group. At least this happened in my client until I changed my textures and I made a revision in server to see if there is not somehow a messed one. Now everything is working fine.

Hook

Post by Hook » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:42 am

You say you have "support in server", what is that support?
I didn't think that the server should use anything but the stock textures. :|

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:18 pm

I just had a quick visit over to Hook's server in order to try out the 3 maps he had mentioned as causing problems. Golden City ran ok. Moribund ran ok. But I knew I had a problem on Killing Fields as soon as I heard the bots talking away. Whenever you can hear them, or your own taunts come out wrong is a bad sign. And sure enough, I was completely frozen in place on that map.

So Herm, have you tried Killing Fields lately? Can you play that map? Do you hear the bots, have messed up taunts, or see the bots "skating", or are frozen in place? If not I'm wondering what it is that you have that's different. :|

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:39 pm

I have and I can. Note that if you put the basic GenEarthtexture back it won't freeze. I however have all of the latest textures installed without the S3TCFix.exe run on them and I can play that map. I don't freeze on any maps at all period!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook

Post by Hook » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:34 pm

Hermskii, you better write up that tutorial soon, so we can square this one away.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:17 am

I already did. It is done my friend. Who wants it?
~Peace~

Hermskii