How much longer?

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

How much longer?

Post by Hermskii » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:37 pm

How much longer until Evil Grins stops goofing around and finishes getting taught by Nelsona and Mars to map?

I have a very serious map I want to have made. It will be very specific. It will take a long-long time. I need someone who will blindly commit to it and never get ahead of me through development. Someone who can keep it a project between just me and them until it is done. I was going to do it with Terra but he disappeared.

I don't know when I'll be able to commit the time but I want to have have full creative privileged over it with doing any of the hard work (mapping). LOL

I'm taking names if you want to submit some to me.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Re: How much longer?

Post by Nelsona » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:06 am

If debates for learning aren't welcomed (maybe nowhere) this explains "awsome" results for mapping generally not only MH, based on guessing (maybe don't check). If a person X or Y played 2 hours UT99 on-line, suddenly he/she is announcing a work at a map even doesn't knows almost nothing - this can be checked as well.

Skipping MH chapter I looked for CTF and DM maps for defaults, I'm gratefull to my wife because she did not take a picture of me when I changed my face looking at trash delivered by some assumed clans - if a default map was a bit wrong they messed it more...

I can help based on a small coding experience at triggering chapter, pathing and different things. At geometry I don't have so much experience because I worked more time at codes not at maps. I gotta admit, when a map pissed me of with some stupidity added, I just modified it for me (not for public to not disturb assumed mapper - YEAH, is hard to do a good map and time consuming).
I'm sure that I can take more seriously mapping (I have a few ideeas) the problem is time, I need time for solve codes, mapping takes a lot of time as well - need to look at more things, and real life job eats almost all time. Not the last thing I don't have 22 years old any more - to learn something I have to look at it 3 times.
That's why I quited thinking at Defence game because I cannot do everything alone and others are just sitting nice looking in forums and doing nothing.
That controller is time consuming to be completed. At mapping, is needed solid knowledge of A.I. - I don't see anybody interested, even MH is all only A.I. based game. Game need to be released with a few maps as example. Beside this I'm thrilled to not see other Epic flaws and all my work to be ruined.
I won't quote opinions about pathing, we play with A.I. but we don't have paths - this is lame and bullshit.
In case I missed something, please forgive me.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:50 pm

I've a silly notion, why not learn how to map yourself?
:P :twisted: :D

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:33 am

I would love to see either or both of you map. You both already pretty much have what it takes to do it and most importantly you have a strong opinions about mapping and you both have a interest that outweighs the pain of actually mapping thus you should do it. Keller gave me some lessons and I liked it but in the end, to be a recognized good mapper takes too much work. There are too many details in good mapping for me to stick to it.
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:32 pm

I've got some of the basics down but I don't have any idea for something I'd wanna build. It's gonna take an actual concept, of my own, before I get gung-ho about it.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:42 pm

Think Spider-Monkeys! Now just do it mannnn!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Evilgrins without an idea??? :shock:
I just don't believe it!
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:45 pm

A small bump since wasn't returned any answer.

Truth ? I prefer truth.
I spent (even useless) more hours looking at scripts more than in maps. In maps I checked a few things - I did a few fixes - A.I. pathing - fixing triggers and movers, in two words: easy things. I have some ideeas, even when I was a kid I drawed some non-animated cartoons for friends from school...

The problem which thrilled me: I saw even very skilled people messing up maps at really stupid small things. This mapping seems to be a work full or responsability not like the most of people are doing in hope to see a mod fixing it automatically, heck, shaaame.

Setting up brushes seems to be responssive for many bad things happening. Epic in default maps used decent areas, different environments and crashes aren't so often comparing them with a wild MH loading a map released for popularity.

I'm targeting curently to learn some things (advanced coding: handling arrays, pawns tuning - here I did a few things but I still need to understand everything if is possible, other server functions not really debated), there are a lot of things good to know before to start drawing a few cones, cubes, bla, bla, anybody can set up a stupid cube saying: I did my first map, LOL - Remember a map aprox. named MH-LastCreatures ? I don't really want to have such a start. Is the most stupidest map ever done for MH. A few Big monsters half burrowed in center of a cube. End is on the right side very active. You can end it in 10 seconds without to be detected by monsters which are too far, is a complete stupidity.

I need time for training myself and to setup different things, I want A.I. to deliver some action not just waiting useless. Of course I can set up such things but designing environment is not really my best skill.

Before mapping, I think these days I'll send a MH piece to Hermski, (mod) to do a few private tests in maps which crashed server with a well known reason making any of us to almost get mad. This was my target and I did more tests with and without Bots. I noticed other crash - different - based on a pawn, I found a deal with it too. All this job was time consumer, I have to work more and I don't really have a lot of time for everything.
I did what I could. After this chapter to deal with a good MH, we can try to attack mapping chapter with seriosity.

riip_kjynx

Post by riip_kjynx » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:14 pm

What kind of map idea you have Herm, I will try this :)
Rize II Perfection Community Co-Leader

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:03 pm

Do you? Do you dare Rip? I ask like that because ihave forever now had a concept that I think would kick butt for the Monster Hunt Mod but it will take lots of time more because of research and then lots of work if it is to make the mapper famous. I have the concept. I just don't have the mapper. Back at first concept I thought it would be Derdak2rot. Then I thought maybe Nr2000. Then I considered Terraniux and lastly I have been thinking about a mapper I'm hearing lots about named ThunderBolt from the DU clan.

I have never directly approached anyone to do it. I have never spilled the beans about what my idea is. I do know that As many have done with me in taking my ideas and running with them and applying additional concepts to them making them even better people have enjoyed great success. I like to seen what others have done in the past and tried to make it better and then re-offer it to the community. I do this. Others have taken what I have done and run with it. It is all good! ALL GOOD!

Now, I have an idea about MH maps that I don't think anyone has done before. It would be huge! it would be a multiple section map that originally would be in single parts but eventually would hoefully be put all together when done. I would need some researchers too to giv eme information that I'd use to further develope my concept. Then Ijust need to give direction to a mapper who can produce it all and will hand it over when they burn out so the next person can continue until it is finally released with all people who helped over time listed in the credits.
~Peace~

Hermskii

riip_kjynx

Post by riip_kjynx » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:15 am

Lol you had me convinced up to the Monster Hunt part.
Rize II Perfection Community Co-Leader

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 pm

Hahaha! Yeah, well sorry I have no map ideas for DM type stuff. Nope. Just MH in the head right now.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:26 am

I'd take that challenge Herm. I'll have lots of free time this winter to project on something. If you want to chat about it you are always welcome to call me (just be prepared to accept a much different sounding 'me').

I was considering dusting off all the work I did on the MH/Assault blended map I was working on but this sounds intriguing, depending on the direction you want to go.
When everyone you ever known is headed for a headstone
I don’t wanna give the end away but we’re gonna die one day

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:44 am

I had a feeling I'd hear from you about this Kelly but do you feel your mapping is ready? I recall you can map but isn't it lots of work for you compared to somebody like Thunderbolt who can do one in a day or two if he wants? I'll be happy to discuss the concept with you and you can see what you think. You recall how petty, demanding and annoying I am right? I was planning to call you a little later still to give your throat, mouth, teeth and all time to get more healed up. The crap you will put yourself through to lose 5 pounds Kelly. Sheeeesh! LOL.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:06 am

What I'm good at is concepts. I can work out how something should be done and build the structure of it and it will do what I want it to do. Where I'm really weak at is polish and style. My maps tend to be ugly because I'm not very artistic. What would probably be best for this is to let me build the map framework (depending on what you want done) and then turn over the map to one of the resident artistic mappers to polish and finish out.
When everyone you ever known is headed for a headstone
I don’t wanna give the end away but we’re gonna die one day